“Average room”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Turtle Lake
St. Croix Casino & Hotel Turtle Lake
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Turtle Lake
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

The hotel is older but most importantly clean. There isn't a smoke smell that comes with most WI casino hotels. There is a connential breakfast that is VERY rare with the WI casinos. The breakfast was nice to have but nothing to write home about. The hotel isn't connected to the casino but there is a shuttle that runs every 5-10 minutes so it isn't an issue (which is probably why the rooms don't smell smokey). If you are looking for a 5-star hotel, this isn't your place.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lisa V
There are newer reviews for St. Croix Casino & Hotel Turtle Lake

Reviewed March 14, 2014

St. Croix Hotel is a dump. There really is no reason to stay there unless you're a great distance from home. I live about an hour away and have not used any of the free room coupons in years. The hotel is not attached, you have to walk outside in the cold, snow, heat, rain...whatever. You might as well just get in your car and go home. The other option is sleeping on a 20 year-old bed that's hard as a rock while watching your 19" CRT television and admiring a "Motel 6 circa 1992" style room that looks the same as it did the day the place opened for business over 21 years ago (although I have heard they have new televisions now).

Honestly, this hotel needs a complete renovation and should somehow be attached to the casino.

Turtle Lake has the best blackjack around. The slots are the same as the rest of the local casinos- mostly pennies- with hold percentages of 10-15% with very little chance of ever winning a substantial amount of money.

The comps are absolutely terrible- aren't even enough to bother using the card. I think they comp about $1 for every $400 played...and that's after being a cardholder for many, many years. Lousy.

The food has always been good at Turtle Lake.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank genngsta
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Our group of six stayed at the St Croix Hotel the weekend of February 8, 2014. Needless to say, we were all a bit apprehensive as to what to expect after reading several of the reviews. Fortunately, we found a majority of the complaints to be unfounded. The rooms were clean, roomy, and well kept. For the life of me I could not detect the smell of tobacco anywhere on the premises and believe me, I have a Super Sniffer. The free continental breakfast was great and offered a fine variety of choices. Overall, our stay at the St Croix Hotel at Turtle Lake was great.
However, anything positive I have to offer concerning the Hotel, the same can't be said when it comes to the Casino. Every member of the group had a horrendous experience gambling at the St Croix Casino. It was so bad I'd go so far as to say if I had anything to do with managing the Casino, I'd be mortified to think the Casino advertizes they provide entertainment to it's patrons in any way or form.
Every member of our group has been around the block enough times to know better than expect to be a winner when we leave a Casino. Casinos aren't built by winners.
What we do expect however is to receive a small return for our money when we play, to get enough credits back to let us play a little longer on something other than our own money. Unfortunately, not one of us got back enough credits to fill a teacup. In fact, credits were all but unheard of at the St Croix Casino. ZERO! ZILCH! NOTHING! NADA!
Believe me, we didn't stand and pump our money in just one machine. We played everything from penny machines to dollar slots with the exact same results. I'd venture to say we played upwards in the neighborhood of thirty different machines and got NOTHING IN RETURN. (Perhaps I should correct that. Twice we got twenty dollars back which was gone in the next few plays.)
At no time during the entire time we were there did one of us ever find themselves in the position to get up and leave the Casino money ahead. That's why I suggest, "bring a wheel barrow of money with you if you intend to spend any time gambling at the ST Croix Casino Turtle Lake.
It's not that the place doesn't have winners. They most certainly do. I can vouch for that. I have won there, seldom, but I have won The problem stems from the manner in which the Casino skims off their cut, (their hold), when a person plays. I lay the blame for our experience on one thing; the use of a server-based system.

It would be one thing if slot machines were still built the way they were fifty years ago. Back then, machines had actual reels where the odds were determined by the number of blank spaces on the reels. However, slot machines are no longer built that way. As you well know, machines are far more advanced these days.

Any slot machine with a wire connecting it to the main control room spells trouble for one person: the party jamming twenty dollar bills in the bill receptor like there's no tomorrow.
With the advent of server-based systems, things have gotten completely out of control if you're a gambler.
Server-based systems can change the denomination on a machine, the odds can be changed up or down, individual machines or an entire bank of machines can be turned on or off at the flip of a switch. If the casino wants to make certain they get their cut for the day before anyone else wins a thing, they can do it. Technicians no longer have to open machines and change the chip. All of this can all be done from the convenience of the main control room. If you don't believe this, simply type in, "casino server based systems" and read for yourselves.

Based on our experience, I have decided I will no longer play on weekends when the crowd is at it's peak. That's the prime time for casinos to reap harvest on the unsuspecting. The same holds true for Holidays, special event days, drawings, etc. When ever the crowd is there, chances are there will be only one winner. One thing can be guaranteed. It won't be you. That you CAN bet on.

It wasn't all that long ago that Casinos weren't allowed to use a server-based system. In fact, server-based systems were forbidden in the State of Wisconsin. Any one in Casino management would attest to that. Then out of nowhere, things changed, Casinos throughout the State make no bones about their use of server-based systems. Why the sudden change??????? Somebody in a position of power changed their mind. One can only speculate as to what brought on the change. However, if I had to guess, I'd bet it had something to do with, "the root of all evil." However, what do I know.

It would be interesting to find out which one of our mindless politicians can take credit for this blunder. Thus far, no one I've contacted in a position to do anything about it, will step forward and take credit for it.

Sad as it is, don't expect to any changes until someone decides to stand up for what's right, Until then, my only adice is, "bring a wheel barrow full of cash with you whenever you play any of Wisconsin's Tribal Casinos."

Room Tip: The handicapped rooms are great. There's more than enough room to store your wheel barrow.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
22  Thank Mert C C
Reviewed February 9, 2014

My husband and I have stayed here in the past (when I was stationed in the TCs) and they have done little if anything to update their rooms, especially since transitioning from smoking to non-smoking rooms (by state law). As other guests have commented, the rooms are in dire need of renovations and updating. They may have updated SOME rooms with small flat screen TV's and new mattresses but they have waterproof pads on them which do not make them comfortable and actually make them feel hard.

The rooms are dark and dank and are in need of painting, new bedding and carpeting. The entrances are not very clean; granted it was winter, but a quick vacuuming can help with the appearance. I think that they have put so much into the suites, that the rest of the rooms have been neglected. They have updated their breakfast which was nice, as it used to comprise of mostly carbs. The staff also isn't eating before the guests which is an improvement.

Speaking of the staff, the front check in staff needs to have training on customer service - this is a hit or miss depending who is working at the front desk. I would love to be the manager of this establishment and turn this into a destination people would want to visit, with an pleasant staff and comfortable accommodations. I do have to compliment the shuttle driver - he was extremely nice and friendly, he appeared on time, and ensured the shuttle was nice and toasty on an extremely cold Wisconsin evening.

If asked, I would recommend a new hotel be built, with rooms facing the lake that would be void of the noise off the main highway. It would also give guests a view of some of the surrounding beauty that many of the guests probably miss because the lake is at the end of the hotel parking lot.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back of the building as the traffic out front on HWY 8 can be heard in the...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
5  Thank NAVY_YNC
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We booked a number of rooms for a girls hockey team. The employees go out of their way to be rude. Not one person in our group was allowed to have more than 1 key, nor would they ok a 15-30 min later check out for anyone. They will not let anyone check into their room before 4:00 even though they are ready, which would not be an issue, but we all came from out of town. We asked for 1 room for a place to sit, they would not help in anyway. I have never stayed at a hotel with such rude, unaccommodating, unorganized employees, and we will advise our association and others not to stay here. Unfortunately they do not care, people stay there and they just want their money, after that to bad. The best excuse they gave for being slow, unorganized and rude was " Its Saturday!!!"

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
7  Thank Jean M
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Hey, Tribal Counsel, why don't you take some money that you steal from the casino vault, and fix up these rooms, they smell, are dirty, and you can't even controll the tribal members that stay there, they are vulger, they smoke up a storm, and don't even respect other patrons sleep time, they are loud and drunk!!!!! And they kept us up all night! Beds were super super hard, and the mattresses had stains all over them!! We left after about 4 hours!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank P P
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Just checked in, want to check out. Ultra slow check in process, probably the worst ever. We got assigned a handicapped room. Things are roomier in this room overall, but it smells like cleaners. Definitely in need of an upgrade, Old, dingy outside and the hallways are just as bad. Front lobby uninviting and weird." Security station" right next to the front check in desk. Won't be back, don't plan to hang around for the free breakfast.

Room Tip: Find out which room ahead of time, odd rooms face out back, even rooms out front.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Babykit1931
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turtle Lake
Cumberland Inn & Suites
Cumberland Inn & Suites
#2 of 2 in Cumberland
Cobblestone Inn & Suites Barron
Holiday Inn Express St. Croix Valley
Holiday Inn Express St. Croix Va...
#1 of 2 in Saint Croix Falls
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Rice Lake
Best Western Inn
Best Western Inn
#1 of 8 in Rice Lake
Holiday Inn Express & Suites - Rice Lake

Been to St. Croix Casino & Hotel Turtle Lake? Share your experiences!