“Fun Place on the Mississippi”
Review of Trempealeau Hotel

Trempealeau Hotel
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Rice Lake, Wisconsin
“Fun Place on the Mississippi”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My Husband and I have been hearing such wonderful things about this Hotel/restaurant for years. Decided it was a beautiful day for a 130 mile ride.
The staff was very friendly, as though we've known them for years.
The lunch menu was good. Need to try the walnut burgers or "walnut balls". Vegetarian... but a meat lover would love them.
This is a place we need to go to in the summer. There is music on Thur. and Sat. nights. Take the time to look at the historical pictures and photos of famous music entertainers.
This is not a fancy place, but I can see it is a fun place.

• Visited November 2012

La Crosse, Wisconsin, United States
“New Owners!!”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

...and they hired an awesome noew chef to twist up the menu! This is a must stop. Hotel itself is also interesting in its architecture and history. Trempealeau Days is a good time to visit!

Visited August 2012
Arena, Wisconsin
“Lovely lunch on a lovely day”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Firstly, the address listed here is not the address listed on the website: 11332 Main Street.

That said, this was a cool little gem that we found while driving back home, the "Good Food" neon sign in the window and the quantity of cars parked out front intriguing us. We were escorted out to the screened porch to dine, the hostess placing our menus on the same side of the table so we could watch the waters of the Mississippi River pass in the sun.

They have a large selection of craft beers and wines, including a hard cider. Our waitress was very friendly, the dining area was clean and when asked about gluten in various dishes, our waitress was knowledgeable about first, what I was talking about, and secondly, whether the selection was safe for me to eat.

My husband really enjoyed his chicken and bacon sandwich and I had the tilapia fish tacos. We also both ordered desserts as they all sounded so good, him the Guinness Chocolate Cake and me the creme brulee.

Some of the reviews mention high prices, but I felt the prices were on par with where I usually eat as well as in line with portion sizes, our lunch which included two desserts and a hard cider was $31. I will definitely eat here again when in the area.

• Visited October 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
“Not the Down Home Place It Used to Be”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We have eaten at the Trempealeau Hotel for many years--every fall as it is an anniversary weekend for me and my husband. The prices have gone up too high and they have discontinued items that were favorites. If we wanted high end prices (and thereby no local flavor as who in Trempealeau could afford to eat there) we would have gone to Chicago for an urban adventure. This place needs to have some affordable menu items on their dinner menu and some way to rebuild a bit of the community flavor that used to exist there or we will find another fall getaway place to visit and dine. This restaurant was why we choose to stay in this town when we do the Galesville apple festval bike ride. This year it is simply not as good all the way around and that has been a big disappointment as it had been so uniquely wonderful for so many years.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank J9Ramsey
Sioux Falls, SD
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyed the restraurant with the screened in room!”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Loved the atmosphere of the screened in room at the restraurant. Once in awhile we would have to stop talking because of a passing train but this was part of the whole experience! Good food also!!

Visited September 2012