Trempealeau Hotel
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I gave this place 2 stars (instead of one) because the place, itself, was clean and pleasant and the view is great. The food and service were terrible. Maybe we just hit them on the wrong day. Everything started out OK. We were greeted by a pleasant hostess and shown to a table, right away, on the the veranda.
We waited for a good ten minutes, with no water, for our server. We all asked for something to drink. I asked for an iced tea. We also asked for water. Maybe this was offensive to our server(?) She seemed annoyed. She asked us if we were ready to order. Well, OK, sure. I ordered the fish sandwich with mustard mayo and home fries. She took our order with barely a word and left. She brought the water out with our drinks about five minutes later. Seriously.
From that point we waited for our meals. ONE HOUR! We had long ago finished our drinks. She never returned to our table to ask if we would like refills or bring us more water or, explain why our very simple order was taking so long...
Our meals finally arrived. The server plopped the meals down. We had to ask her for drink refills. She started away without asking if there was anything else we needed. I had call her back because they forgotten the mustard mayo. My plate was a bun, a room temperature piece of fish with a leaf of lettuce and a small pile of greasy potato cubes PERIOD. So, now, I have to wait and watch my food get even colder.
She eventually returned with the mayo mustard without any sort of apology. By this point I was very hungry or I wouldn't have eaten it.
From that point, she never returned to our table until we flagged her down for the check.
I worked in food service for years and I have seen some lousy servers but this one really needs to re-evaluate whether the service industry is a good fit for her.

2  Thank Rob M

Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

Google only showed dinner hours. I attended quite a few concerts with my parents as a pre-teen and teen, but haven't eaten here as an adult. We arrived for the lunch menu. We had a seared, sesame coated tuna steak for an app., which was delicious. I chose their walnut burger, which was interesting! My husband's mushroom and swiss was nothing special, slightly small, and lacking in sauces or veggies. The chips and salsa appeared store bought. A table arrived 15 minutes before dinner hours and requested the dinner menu, which they were only given after agreeing to waiting to be served. Bar and wait staff were not friendly but were attentive. The Guinness cake we had for dessert was decent, but could have used ice cream. The porch was a little breezy and loud with only 4 tables seated.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Try the walnut burger or sliders - very good! Also enjoyed the tortilla flats. Service a little slow, but very friendly.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We went there for dinner and had a lovely time. I had pan-fried catfish which was moist and flaky with a nice cornmeal crunch breading. My husband had Canadian Walleye and his was also delicious. We started with a bruschetta that was made with a homemade pesto that tasted very fresh.
The only criticism was the Guinness chocolate cake for dessert-it was bit dry and not very flavorful, but otherwise a great meal with very friendly service!

Reviewed August 4, 2012

Had lunch here after spending the morning in the nearby state park. Husband had the fish tacos and said they were very tasty. I had a burger and it was good, not great. We were a little surprised at the tortilla chips they served with the burger. They were the same round ones you get when you order nachos at the movie theater or ballpark. Would have expected something a little more quality. The food took longer than we would expect for how few people were in the restaurant at that time. We enjoyed the view and the historic building.

1  Thank marytini