Inn On The River
$60
$40
All reviewstwo nightscoffee potbnsfeaglesbalconymicrowavetv
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We first visited this property in March, 2011 but ice hadn't gone out on the river yet and there was still snow about. We visited again the weekend of March 24, 2012 and it was better than ever! The hotel seemed to be full, and it added to the charm. Rooms are very neat, each one has a refrigerator for food and beverages. We had a 2nd floor room, which is great for bird watching, train and river watching. BNSF trains come through about once every half hour - it's the perfect train watching destination for MN, WI and IA fans. Right across the street is the Trempealeau hotel, with a very good dining room and live music pretty much every Saturday night. A mile away is Sullivans, where the meat and potatoes crowd can go for a great meal. Park the car, pop a cold one or three, kick back and relax! Tim the host was great, very laid back and friendly. Rates are very reasonable, and you just won't find better rail action, with the BNSF tracks about 200 feet from the balcony and CP tracks about 1/4 mile away across the river.

Room Tip: Pick a second floor room for best overall viewing of the area.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mrkingleisurebed
Reviewed March 19, 2012

My husband & I stayed one night for a little get-away. The Inn is right on the Mississippi River, and each room has a balcony overlooking the river. Trains go by very frequently, so if you're a light sleeper or don't like noise, this may not be for you. Our room was very good size with a king bed, fridge, rocking chair, table & 2 chairs. Plenty of space. The bed was pretty comfortable, but the pillows were not. The batrhoom was on the small side with not much counter space. We could not get the TV work, but we weren't in the room much, so not a big deal. Tim, the owner was nice and accommodating. The rate was excellent. There's not a whole lot to do in Trempealeau as far as night life goes. The Trempealeau Hotel is right across the street and they have good food and music on the weekends. Sullivan's Supper Club is about a mile from the motel and also right on the river. This inn is on the bike path and very near Perrot State Park. This is an old school motel with actual keys for the doors, but very clean and well kept. I would go back in a heart beat!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I've stayed at Inn on the River numerous times and not once have I experienced an ounce of disappointment. Each January, Tim (owner), calls me to re-book our four rooms for June -as we stay here when we attend the Blues Festival, across the street. Rooms are always clean and comfy, friendly staff, helpful with dining recommendations; love this place! I've brought friends, here - family, children and all had an enjoyable stay. Most recently my husband and I enjoyed an overnight here ($60/night) and were given a $25. gift cert. from Tim for Sullivans Supper Club (total bill for steak/shrimp dinner & drinks was $14.!); great budget-friendly get-away! We'll be back to Inn on the River, this June, for our 7th season!

Room Tip: If you're bothered by train traffic, you may not experience the 'excellent' sleep that I got - but train noise doesn't bother me : )
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LJDays
Reviewed June 24, 2011

The hotel was very clean and the view of the river can't be beat. The beds were comfortable and the outside balcony for train and river watching was great. Our only complaint was that the town "closes up" at 9pm and no restaurants were open for breakfast on Monday am. We ran to the local gas station before it closed at 10pm to grab some drinks and snacks and had to drive back to La Crosse the next am for breakfast. The hotel, itself, is great--just plan ahead that the town is QUIET.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bodee1999
Reviewed March 7, 2011

I picked this Inn for train watching, and it did not disappoint. More than that, it was a very nice, comfortable motel offering beautiful views of the Mississippi River and river bluffs. We saw Eagles, Hawks, Cardinals and other birds. I'm sure it would be a wonderful visit after ice out! Take my advice - stay two nights or more. The first night will be hard on you, unless you're used to sleeping near the train tracks. There is not a crossing close by, so you don't have to worry about train horns. By the second night, even my wife slept comfortably with the trains thundering past. It's hard to explain to anyone not liking trains, but it is soothing in a way to hear the trains go past! Trempealeau is a neat little river town of the 1850's-1880's and there are at least four good dining choices within five minutes of the Inn. The room was spotlessly clean, the hostess provided great service and the price was very good. Trains come through approximately every half hour, not only close up on BNSF, but across the river on CP.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple