“Love this place; we return several times a year!!”
Review of Inn On The River

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Trempealeau
Inn On The River
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Trempealeau
Reviewed March 1, 2012

I've stayed at Inn on the River numerous times and not once have I experienced an ounce of disappointment. Each January, Tim (owner), calls me to re-book our four rooms for June -as we stay here when we attend the Blues Festival, across the street. Rooms are always clean and comfy, friendly staff, helpful with dining recommendations; love this place! I've brought friends, here - family, children and all had an enjoyable stay. Most recently my husband and I enjoyed an overnight here ($60/night) and were given a $25. gift cert. from Tim for Sullivans Supper Club (total bill for steak/shrimp dinner & drinks was $14.!); great budget-friendly get-away! We'll be back to Inn on the River, this June, for our 7th season!

Room Tip: If you're bothered by train traffic, you may not experience the 'excellent' sleep that I...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LJDays

Reviewed June 24, 2011

The hotel was very clean and the view of the river can't be beat. The beds were comfortable and the outside balcony for train and river watching was great. Our only complaint was that the town "closes up" at 9pm and no restaurants were open for breakfast on Monday am. We ran to the local gas station before it closed at 10pm to grab some drinks and snacks and had to drive back to La Crosse the next am for breakfast. The hotel, itself, is great--just plan ahead that the town is QUIET.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bodee1999
Reviewed March 7, 2011

I picked this Inn for train watching, and it did not disappoint. More than that, it was a very nice, comfortable motel offering beautiful views of the Mississippi River and river bluffs. We saw Eagles, Hawks, Cardinals and other birds. I'm sure it would be a wonderful visit after ice out! Take my advice - stay two nights or more. The first night will be hard on you, unless you're used to sleeping near the train tracks. There is not a crossing close by, so you don't have to worry about train horns. By the second night, even my wife slept comfortably with the trains thundering past. It's hard to explain to anyone not liking trains, but it is soothing in a way to hear the trains go past! Trempealeau is a neat little river town of the 1850's-1880's and there are at least four good dining choices within five minutes of the Inn. The room was spotlessly clean, the hostess provided great service and the price was very good. Trains come through approximately every half hour, not only close up on BNSF, but across the river on CP.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mrkingleisurebed
Reviewed February 20, 2010

We're extremely unhappy with the management of this hotel. I called Tuesday 2/9/10 or Wednesday 2/10/10 to reserve two rooms for this coming June. The genetlemen took my credit card number and said he'd get back to me by the end of the week to confirm which rooms he had available. My daughter had requested a block of rooms for her wedding in June. They never called me back. I then called February 16th and had to leave a voice mail message asking them to please return my call and confirm rooms. No call back. I emailed them Wednesday 2/17/10 at this point telling them to cancel my reservations and to please reply as they did take my credit card number and I wanted confirmation of my cancellation. No email reply. I can't believe they run a successful business when customers are treated like more of a problem than asset to their business. We've informed our wedding guests to cancel their reservations and stay elsewheres. This is not a quality run business.

Stayed: February 2010
3  Thank Just1l
Reviewed July 20, 2009

My husband and I stayed here two nights for a wedding that was in town. The location can really be a pro or a con, depending on what you're into. If you are a train person, this is a great location because the rooms face the tracks and the tracks are VERY close by. Many train enthusiasts come here, and the room was decorated with photos of trains. If the noise of regular trains passing very close by (enough that you have to turn the TV up in order to continue to hear it) will bother you, this is not the place for you.

When I booked the room, I did not realize that the office is only open until 9:30 p.m.; we were still on the road when the owner called around 9:00 to see if we were still coming. We arrived about 9:50, and the owner had left the door unlocked and let us check in. (Of course, it's his house, too, so it's not like he was chained to the desk, but he didn't have to do that--he could have said "too bad" and closed up shop, so I appreciated this.)

The room itself was clean and basic. Nothing special, but not bad, either. The room did have a small refrigerator, which is always nice. If you are used to chain hotels with more modern amenities (key cards, in room iron, wi-fi, little conditioners and body lotions, etc.), you may find this place lacking; but if you're not picky, this place will serve you just fine. Overall, I would stay here again because there aren't many options in Trempealeau.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2008

Great location, clean room, pleasant owner. A little spendy for off-season but that would not stop us from visiting again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 29, 2007

What a view!

On the west coast of Wisconsin is Trempealeau, WI - home of The Inn on the River. This is a 12 unit facility that offers each room a view of the Mississippi. The unique location allows rail fans the chance to enjoy regular "visits" from the BNSF as it thunders past - not 200' from your room.

Some may find the trains annoying and if you can't tolerate trains, this is NOT the best choice for you. But the train noise is easily offset by the tremendous view of the river and bluffs on the Minnesota side of the river. Barge traffic on the river is a regular sight and you might even see a classic river boat, The Mississippi Queen, Delta Queen of American Queen on special trips.

The rooms are very clean and comfortable. The housekeeping is excellent. This is family owned & operated with the owners on premises. You still have your privacy but you can also enjoy the pleasant contact with the staff. The Inn is also their home so the yard & flowers are well cared for. Their pride in ownership is quite obvious.

Each room has a deck/balcony that allows occupants a chance to sit - relax and watch all the happenings along the river. Rates are competitive and there are excellent restaurants within a 1 minute walk of 5 minute drive. Perrot State Park is just up the road and makes the stay all the more enjoyable.

Perhaps I will ruin the place by writing this review. Crowds could book all the rooms and I'd never be able to return. However, everyone should try to visit this place to fully understand the phrase God's Country.

T. Mac McDermott
Milton, WI

Stayed: March 2006
6  Thank MacinWis

Been to Inn On The River? Share your experiences!