“Peaceful Northwoods”

Heartwood Conference Center & Retreat
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Trego
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We have stayed there at least one a year, this particular was in May. Very peaceful, relax in outside Hot tub at night, Loons in background. Plenty of activities or just sit and relax wih wine. Restaurant on site is nice. I have attended conventions at Heartwood, very professional.

Room Tip: I prefer to stay within the Lodge.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have stayted at Heartwood Center several times. Recently, we rode our snowmobiles there and spent the night. We checked in and then rode down to the restaurant and had a delicious meal by the fireplace. The restaurant and bar are only open limited days and hours. The lodge did sell pizza and wine. The lodge also had an order form if you wanted to order limited breakfast items for the next morning. Our room had a refrigerator and microwave, so we could have brought some of our own food. The beds were comfortable and the room was very clean. There is an outside hot tub and numerous ski trails. They sell gas for the snowmoblies on property. It was a lovely stay, we will return.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scamperaway
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed here 2/1613 - 2/18/13. The rooms were clean and had a fridge and microwave and a lot of cupboard and counter space. The beds and pillows were very comfortable and the water pressure in the shower was great. The layout of the place is really spread out. We drove to the restaurant for dinner, which was very good. Highly recommend the duck and the beer cheese soup. The restuarant wasn't open on Sunday for breakfast but they had a breakfast buffet in the main lodge was was excellent.

Room Tip: I believe we just had a standard room and were happy with it.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I decided to spend New Year's Eve and New Year's Day in a cabin, far away from the city and with our little dog. This was the perfect place! Just 2 hours away from the Twin Cities.
We got the "stay 2 nights get the 3rd for free". We were afraid we were going to get bored, but in the end we didn't want to go back home, so many things to do. If you like hiking there are about 10-15 different trails to explore. The shortest one takes about 45 minutes to hike. This place is huge! If you like skiing, there are trails for that purpose, too. Kids (and grown ups) can have fun with tubing.
The cabin was cozy, right next to the lake. There are few games in it, and a puzzle, which I couldn't finish. The place gets very warm if you turn on the fireplace that gives a romantic ambience. There is a full kitchen with almost everything you need (no cutting board). If you'd like to enjoy a glass of wine, you need to bring your own corkscrew or bottle opener. There is a TV, but no DVD player. Wireless internet is available.
If you are looking for a place where you need to relax alone, or with family, or friends. this is the place!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carla_0075
Reviewed December 19, 2012

Heartwood Retreat is located about 10 miles from the nearest community--a beautiful setting on a lake. Staff people are friendly and accommodating. I asked to upgrade from 2 queens to a king and was told that would cost $40. more/night. I declined. Room was so-so with no fridge or microwave. There is a microwave in the common room down the hall. The room had a nice little patio overlooking the lake. Because Heartwood caters so many big events like conferences, weddings, etc., the restaurant has a limited menu. The food is excellent but there isn't a lot to choose from. The biggest drawback to the restaurant is its location. We were stunned to find out that it was 1.4 miles from our room, down a road that was difficult to find and follow in the dark. On our way back, we got lost and 2 other cars trying to find it got lost also. We ended up following each other around the back roads. Earlier in the year when it stays light longer, this might not be a problem. In December it is. There are wonderful activities for families and youngsters--just not handy for oldsters.

Room Tip: If you plan to eat at the restaurant in the evening, ask for a room in a building close to it.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I went to the Heartwood on a recommendation from a friend who stayed there. I wanted to get away from the "rat race" for a couple of days, just me and my dog. I requested a remote cabin away from the main lodge. It was very nice and clean. The first morning I woke up, let my dog out and locked myself out of the cabin! Luckily the maintenance man came and let me back in. Then an hour later I realized I had locked my keys in the car! I haven't been locked out of anything in many many years but this happened twice when I was up north for a "relaxing" couple if days. Anyway, the staff at Heartwood were all so wonderful from the maintenance men to the front desk and management!! They tried to help me get my keys from the car but the car was truly theft-proof. Then another one of the maintenance men gave me a ride to Spooner to get another key made (which ultimately didn't work because the wrong key blank was used and wouldn't fit into the key hole!!).

The manager offered to comp me a dinner and even have it delivered to my door!! They went way beyond every expectation especially since my problems were all my own doing, no fault of the Heartwood AT ALL!!

I would highly recommend the Heartwood. Beautiful resort, reasonably priced, many hiking trails and fantastic service!!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We recently spent Friday and Saturday night here. This place has a 90 year history, but only in the past few years have they started marketing themselves. It is several miles from the main road, on gravel, and we were not sure where we were going in the dark. We checked in, and the next morning, we were stunned at how beautiful the place was. There is a variety of accommodations--lodge rooms with microwave and frig, duplexes, and cabins. They even allow dogs in one type of accommodations. We noticed a swimming beach, volleyball and tennis courts, and lots of hiking trails. On Saturday night, we ate at their on-site restaurant (limited hours during the off-season) and the meal was wonderful. This would be a great place for a company retreat or conference.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trego
Best Western Spooner Riverplace
#14 of 15 in Hayward
Edelweiss Motel
Edelweiss Motel
#13 of 15 in Hayward

Been to Heartwood Conference Center & Retreat? Share your experiences!