“Would definitely stay again!”
Review of Lark Inn

Lark Inn
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Tomah
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Lark Inn was our saving grace after traveling from SC to Wisconsin. We wanted somewhere affordable & comfortable before heading to Minnesota. The rooms were gorgeous! A combination of country and chic. With handmade quilts (looked like), antique photos on the wall, and chairs outside your front door. It also has a microwave & mini fridge in the room.

I did have two issues that occurred with my room and each time the front desk offered another option and their apologies. Our stay was short but it was enjoyable.

• Stayed: July 2012
The_Larkin_Family, Manager at Lark Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

It was a pleasure reading your review. We take pride in being a little different than the usual over night stay. Every convenience is offered to our guests along with unique decorating, that you enjoyed, in all of our rooms. The atmosphere of a motel where guests are able to sit outside their room and park in front of the door has become a lost art. We enjoy offering a piece of the past, yet a bit of the future. Thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Traveling to Canada each summer, I have stayed at many hotels from Madison, WI to Duluth, MN. The Lark Inn is the cleanest and most helpful of all the places I've stayed. It just a few minutes drive from the highway, but worth it. The clerk/owner was very helpful and made the process quick. I would stay here anytime! Very clean rooms, and I loved the "homey" atmosphere.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for your kind review and for being a loyal guest at our Inn for many years. You are among many who spend a night with us on their way to Canada each year. We certainly appreciate your loyalty and enjoy seeing you each year. Instead of a night spent away from home, our aim is to make your every visit feel as if you have returned home.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The Lark Inn is a throwback to highway travel before the interstates and chain motels. I first found it over 20 years ago when I was in Tomah traveling on business. Since then, my my wife often stay here when we're traveling between the Twin Cities and Chicago. We've always stayed in the cabins because they are so reminiscient of the motor lodges of years gone by (although updated with modern amenities). The rooms are immaculate and comfortable and we find them to be a good value. The staff is always very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 14, 2012

On behalf of our family and staff, I would like to express our appreciation for your loyalty to our Inn over the past twenty years. Guests like yourself become like family and we look forward to your every visit. Over the years you have been able to witness the improvements and growth of Lark Inn as our aim is to stay on top of the current trends with frequent remodeling, including the recent addition of a completely new building housing our Classic Rooms. Our family takes pride in our property. Seeing reviews from people such as yourself, and visiting with travelers make inn keeping a pleasure. Thank you again for your kind review and, above all else, for being a life-long guest at Lark Inn.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

I first had a regular room and it was very small well worth paying the extra 10.00 for the upgrade

• Stayed: June 2012
The_Larkin_Family, Owner at Lark Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Greetings "Dadisawsome" and thank you for taking the time to write and let us now "how we did". My guess is you were looking for our most economical room. That being our Heritage Rooms. That section of the Motel was built in the 70's, and built specifically for the traveling business person and/or couple looking for an economical room with all the imenities of our other rooms (minus a little sq. footage). I'm glad you called the front desk and asked to see some other rooms. We have so many different types of rooms, sometimes at Lark Inn it's best to see them first. With that being said, unlike some Motels I've stopped at, we are always THRILLED to show travelers our rooms before they decide which one suits them best. Honestly, after 34 years, I have never lost a traveler AFTER showing them our rooms. We are very proud of what we have here and work hard each day to make sure the next guest has the same experience as the one before them. That goes all the way from the person who greets you, to possibly someone who gets you ice or directions, right down to the breakfast staff and our super housekeeping crew. Sure, we have a great Inn, but without our fabulous staff and you, the guest, it would not be complete. Hope to see you again and safe travels,
Mike Larkin
P.S. Did your children see our deer across the street? Is that where you came up with that username? ;-)

Reviewed June 5, 2012

I spend a lot of time in Tomah, so I was happy to discover a place like Lark Inn. I nearly always stay in a cabin, although the rooms are plenty nice, too. I have everything I need for a week-long business stay, and the cabins are surprisingly quiet for being right in the center of town. I can't say enough about the staff - they know me on sight and always bend over backwards to fulfill my needs. Mike, the innkeeper, has even been known to stop by and say "Hi" when he sees me on the job site. What big chain hotel manager can say that? The prices are great, to boot. I would recommend the Lark any day of the week!

Room Tip: Ask for a cabin for extra room to stretch your legs!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
The_Larkin_Family, Owner at Lark Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Cari,
Owning and managing an Inn has many ups and downs. Since we gutted this place back in the late 70's, there are far more ups these days then downs. One of the "perks" (as I call them) is getting to know your "returning" guests on a more personal level. In some cases, it almost feels like your 'extended family'. Just as one would treat a family member, I'm proud to say that our staff has that same commitment. Carole is beyond belief with how she remembers names. She is a treasure, as is our whole staff. Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Inn. I sincerely appreciate it.
I remember years ago your company had a truck load of Molasses (I believe) that needed a heated building. It's still there if ever needed again. ;-)
See you soon,

Reviewed May 30, 2012

We stayed at the Lark Inn May 25th & 26th. Were able to stay in one if the cabins. If you get the chance to visit request the cabins so cool. The staff was very helpful. Rooms were clean. Glad we stayed. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for the cabins
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Cindy,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your extended stay. I remember chatting with you briefly about our Inn, but can't remember if I told you who was a guest in those same cabins back in '34. The City owned the Inn at the time, which was called "Tomah Tourist Camp". The word "Motel" wasn't invented, per say, until ....I believe 1925. And Highway 12 (out front) was the main throughway between Chicago and the Twin Cities. With that being said, there were probably many prominent names that spent nights in Motels along this highway. Our 'claim to fame' was a guest named John Dillinger. You can also find a story on the internet of him buying ethyl at the log cabin gas station and paying in all "silver coin". I'm sure you saw the old b/w picture in your cabin of the gas station, which is now where our General Store sits. A lost has changed from back then. But one thing that hasn't is our Inn sheltering travelers for almost 100 years. Again, thank you for the kind words. I'll be over in your 'neck of the woods' this fall. I absolutely love your Theatre of Performing Arts!! The Fox Valley is blessed to have such a nice venue.
Safe Travels,

Reviewed March 3, 2012

This is a first rate stay; family warmth and hospitality and the accomodations were amazing! Feel at home atmosphere, cozy and inviting. Can't say enough about the Innkeeper Mike, Really knows how to make his guests feel welcome! Can hardly wait for a chance to come back! Travel frequently and can say without hesitation that this place is topnotch. Doesn't hurt that Dillinger slept in the cabins, a bit of nostalgia......thanks again!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
The_Larkin_Family, Owner at Lark Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2012

Sylvia,
It sure was fun getting to know you guys! And thank you for taking ttime to 'review' us. When I travel, I have yet to find a room quite like our Classic Suites. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. Perhaps next time I could show you two around a bit. The Cranberry Capital is a short 13 miles away with Amish Country about the same, but in the opposite direction. Also maybe you two can RELAX and not have any commitments. Take advantage of our 1000+ DVD library and in-room players. On another note, Sylvia ....you have a very gifted Husband. I'm the one who should be writing the 'glowing' review of how much I enjoyed his show! He had me believing Mr. Garth Brooks was on that stage. I've heard nothing but good things from all in attendance.
-Mike Larkin
P.S. Wow! Your home is a stones throw from Niagra Falls!!