For an interstate motel, it's pretty good. Below are the good, the bad, and the weird for this place. Mostly it's good.
The good: Clean ovweall. The bathroom was clean with decent towels. Clean, comfortable bed with a nice comforter. There is a microwave and fridge, plus a coffee pot, if you want to heat up some food. Chill some beer, or make your own coffee. Heat/AC were not too loud, a problem in many budget motels. There is a DVD player in room and DVDs to borrow in lobby, which is both nice and a bit unusual. There were enough plugs in the room, including at least one next to the bed, soemthing that is increasingly important when we all want ton charge our phones and other electronics.
Lobby was clean and well-lit. There seemed to be some pictures from repeat customers, and there are little notes in the room from staff that made it seem sort of homey. The breakfast was decent, but not great. Bagels, bread and english muffins to toast, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, etc. as well as the usual cereal assortment and the motel waffle-maker. Coffee was surprisingly decent.
The weird: No chair in room other than desk chair. Instead there is a padded bench/sitting area by the window. That might be OK, since it was quite sunny, except that my room looked out on the interstate.
Not so good: As mentioned by others, it is loud if you are on the side by the interstate. If you hav a choice, try to get a room on the other side. I couldn't, and chose a lower floor instead of the upper floor, figuring that the noise would be lessened by the berm next to the highway. It really wasn't that bad, but I am used to some traffic noise at night. I definitely wouldn't sleep with the windows open, but the traffic noise was less disturbing than the loud fan in some hotel rooms. The room is pretty small, and it might be tight for two people, but you don't stay at a highway motel surrounded by a parking lot in order to spend a lot of time in the room.
In general, it's fine for an overnight place to sleep.
One thing I discovered after the fact: you can oftern get a cheaper rate going through the corporate website or calling the hotel directly than using an on-line booking site. With a AAA or AARP or other discount I would have save a bit, but the hotel is still quite inexpensive and a good value.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the best kept secret in Wisconsin at Microtel Inns & Suites Tomah hotel near Wisconsin Cranberry Discovery Center. Our hotel is within easy driving distance of area parks, museums and entertainment. Jump start an early morning with free continental breakfast and an energizing workout in our fitness room. Stay up-to-date on your email with free Wi-Fi Internet access, and ask our 24-hour front desk staff about must-see area attractions. Our pet-friendly hotel offers guest laundry services, in-room microwaves and refrigerators and free parking for vehicles of any size. Handicapped-accessible rooms and kitchenette suites are available at our hotel in Tomah, Wisconsin. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Tomah reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Microtel Inn And Suites Tomah
- Microtel Inn & Suites Tomah Hotel Tomah
- Microtel Tomah
- Tomah Microtel