“Decent dining in a sea of crummy fast food joints”
Review of Burnstad European Cafe - CLOSED

Burnstad European Cafe
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I've just spent a weekend in Chicago, where I had the most glorious Italian food I've eaten in ages. (See my review on another page ...) So, by comparison, Burnstad's is nothing to write home about. My mustard-glazed salmon was cooked nicely, the undressed steamed broccoli and carrots were also cooked nicely, and the very white rice was ... very white. It was a healthy meal, nothing to complain about, but leagues away from big-city cuisine.

Having said that, the only other choices in Tomah are trough-style buffets, really awful Asian food (I'm afraid of what ingredients they're really using) and your basic burger 'n fries drive-throughs. So, if you find yourself staying in Tomah longer than for the obligatory interstate rest break, you'll appreciate Burnstad's quality fare. But if a true dining experience is what you seek, keep heading south on the interstate until you've hit the Windy City.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Two times we've visited Burnstad's. Both times we were pleasantly satisfied. The second time, m my husband had a beef and gravy sandwich that was REAL homemade food = not from a can. The desserts are excellent and homemade. Best of all, the prices are VERY reasonable, even for those with limited income such as ourselves. In fact, the dinner menu wasn't much more expensive than the lunch menu which was very surprising.

If one needs to go to the wonderful TOMAH VA for appointments, Burnstad's is a WONDERFUL reprieve for lunch/dinner.

NOTE: Over all, the service is GREAT. However, on this last visit the server was a bit "off," personality-wise.

ANOTHER NOTE: Seeing the ?s below, our choices were under $10. However, one could spend between $10-20???, if they so-choose. Also, I didn't know the "check mark" selection questions being we're from out of town.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stop every time we travel through Tomah. It is a relaxing, enjoyable place to eat. We also enjoy visiting the grocery store and the gift shop - a pleasant specialty shop of Wisconsin & Amish products.

Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

We have stopped here thrice so far. The food is very decent. I especially like the small plate offerings with a little less quantity but certainly enough as a meal off the interstate for those on a road trip. I have never spent more than 40 minutes. The environment is pleasing, there is a grocery store, an specialty food store and a florist/gift shop making it very nice stop. The food is not fantastic by any means but more than competent and the service is attentive. They do try. There is a decent beer list and wine list. If you can spare a little more than a half hour off the highway, this is better than most stops of the road you will make.

Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

I visited Burnstad's with a large group of friends. We briefly browsed the adjoining grocery store, as well as the gift shop. Both are somewhat interesting, but not overly impressive.

Having passed the drool-inducing dessert case on my way in, I took care to order a smaller entree so I would have room for sweets. I sampled the fried cheese curds, a local specialty, and they were pretty tasty. My main dish was a portabello mushroom burger on a ciabatta roll--best I have ever had! The sweet potato fries were average. For dessert, I chose from approximately 20 different house-made pies and cakes, all of which looked scrumptious. I settled on the blueberry crunch cheesecake, and I heartily recommend it!

The service was excellent, considering we had about 20 in our party. The two ladies kept drinks full/replaced and orders straight. Impressive! I hope to come back.