“Nice on the road dinner”

Burnstad European Cafe
Ranked #6 of 38 Restaurants in Tomah
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

We have stopped here thrice so far. The food is very decent. I especially like the small plate offerings with a little less quantity but certainly enough as a meal off the interstate for those on a road trip. I have never spent more than 40 minutes. The environment is pleasing, there is a grocery store, an specialty food store and a florist/gift shop making it very nice stop. The food is not fantastic by any means but more than competent and the service is attentive. They do try. There is a decent beer list and wine list. If you can spare a little more than a half hour off the highway, this is better than most stops of the road you will make.

There are newer reviews for Burnstad European Cafe

Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

I visited Burnstad's with a large group of friends. We briefly browsed the adjoining grocery store, as well as the gift shop. Both are somewhat interesting, but not overly impressive.

Having passed the drool-inducing dessert case on my way in, I took care to order a smaller entree so I would have room for sweets. I sampled the fried cheese curds, a local specialty, and they were pretty tasty. My main dish was a portabello mushroom burger on a ciabatta roll--best I have ever had! The sweet potato fries were average. For dessert, I chose from approximately 20 different house-made pies and cakes, all of which looked scrumptious. I settled on the blueberry crunch cheesecake, and I heartily recommend it!

The service was excellent, considering we had about 20 in our party. The two ladies kept drinks full/replaced and orders straight. Impressive! I hope to come back.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Swung by this restaurant today and made a reservation, as we had some foreign nationals visiting, and we wanted to have a nice dinner prior to participating in some training events. After making the reservations I was really looking forward to dinner as the place is absolutely beautiful and the food looked and sounded great. The appetizers arrived at our table after about fifteen minutes and the Soup Du Jour was delicious even though it wasn't hot (simply warm) and the salads were tiny, rather odd seeing as they cost 4 bucks apiece. Alright, we can deal with the small salads and lukewarm soup, then the meals arrived. I ordered the Norwegian Cod and quite a few people ordered the salmon. I have NEVER had a piece of fish served to me with absolutely no flavor whatsoever especially when its supposedly flavored with garlic herb butter and bread crumbs!!! And the salmon wasn't much better according to the other diners. Perhaps their specialty is beef, something that nobody ordered, and they should stay away from the seafood.

1  Thank recon626
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We enjoy this as our "Just the Two of Us Night Out" Enjoy wine and/or cocktail/beer unique menu choices and dessert to die for. We have been coming to Burnstad's for over 25 years and family and friends always enjoy the special night at Burnstad's. Great Lunch menu also.Good location for business meetings with private room available and separate pub area.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

enjoyable evening. had 5 adults. food was plentiful and delicious. price on meals were a little pricey, but enjoyable evening.