“A charming experience - great service & wonderful food”
Review of Burnstad European Cafe - CLOSED

Burnstad European Cafe
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We recently stayed near Tomah in conjunction with Elroy Apple Dumpling Days. My wife ran the whole marathon and I ran the half marathon, so we were quite hungry and looking for a really tasty dinner. We were so happy we discovered the Burnstad European Cafe. The service was great and our dinners were wonderful. Our server was friendly and attentive to our needs, even though she was serving a very large group concurrently. My wife had the house salad and I the Caesar. Both were fresh and crisp with really excellent dressing (we like ours on the side). We both had the potato crusted walleye, which was quite wonderful - really hit the spot after our strenuous day. We marveled at the creativity of the little red potatoes, which were cut to appear a mushrooms. The café had some nice wine selections and we enjoyed a bottle of Stag's Leap in celebration. I must interject that the menu offered a variety of fare and we will return next time we are in the area to try other offerings.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We were surprised to find such a quaint restaurant in the small town of Tomah. It was recommended by the hotel night manager. We arrived late so didn't get to visit the shops. We ate what the waitress recommended (she made great martinis). My strawberry, walnut and goat cheese salad was outstanding as was my fish. Will definitely return if we are in Tomah again.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

My favorite course - the chicken soup. The chix rovouli was good too. We tried the mud slide cake and it was goood.... we went back there for a few times while we were in town.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Not so very European, but decent food and decent value. It's in a complex including (among others) a gift shop, a women's apparel shop, and a reasonably upscale supermarket.

Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I had a seafood bisque--bland. I ordered risotto because I love it but don't make it often because it's so time consuming. Obviously, the chef thinks so, too. The rice was chewy-a sign of a rushed risotto. Good flavor, though. My daughter loved her chicken strips and fries--appeared homemade. She also loved the huge dessert. The hubby had the walleye, again just okay.