“Not bad for Tomah. Clean and friendly with good service.”

Burnstad European Cafe
Ranked #4 of 38 Restaurants in Tomah
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Not bad for Tomah. Clean and friendly with good service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

I found this place to be a welcome surprise when I found myself in Tomah on a Saturday night. My first thought was cleanliness. This place was nice and clean. Second, the service was very good. Attentative, but not bothersome. The appetizers were good but not awesome (cheese curds and a cheese-spinach dip) My salad was fresh, but nothing memorable, my companion had soup and said it was a tad bland, but OK. We both ordered the Ribeye ($21.95). Mine was prepared perfectly but was not the best piece of meat. We both had dessert and coffee and were both happy with the freshness of the dessert. I'd also like to add that the food came quickly, but not too fast. Just right for me.
Would I go again? Yes, but I would order something different. Would I tell a friend to go here? Yes. It's better than some old, dusty supper club that is living off of past glory.

• Visited March 2013

Dodgeville
“A most surprising restaurant in Tomah, Wisconsin”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Tomah is best known for its Amtrak stop and the VA Hospital. When it comes to restaurants, you will find mostly fast food. Burnstad's European Village (and Restaurant) is most surprising. Burnstad's has good food with origins in several European countries, including some German recipes, and it uses many fresh local ingredients. Wisconsin is heavily German-American, yet restaurants like this one are primarily in the Milwaukee area. You may not be interested in the meat market, souvenir stores, and other "European" attractions, but the restaurant is clearly your best bet for many miles around. Hearty soups, tasty desserts, fresh bread, and even healthy choices-- such as grilled fish and baked sweet potatoes, are all available. All this and very fine service.

• Visited January 2013
Pewaukee, Wisconsin, United States
“Great Food, Not The Best Atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

The whole set up is a little odd. People who described it as touristy were exactly right. You will have a hard time getting through the building without buying something. The food was tasty but the atmosphere did not match the price. When I'm in the area again I would probably take my chances somewhere else.

• Visited December 2012
Lafayette
“Great food, great atmosphere, amazing desserts.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

We stopped by Burnstad on a work trip and was very pleased with the food, especially desserts. Sampled both the carrot cake and raspberry cheesecake and both were terrific! There is a wide variety of choices available including both large and small portions depending on what you are hungry for.

Fond du Lac, WI
“OK but tourist trap”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

The shops were much better than the restaurant. Limited menu and quality was just OK. Wine selection was not as good as advertised. The whole place was very much geared to to touristy business. I had one of the "specialty" dishes and found it dry and overpriced. Service was also slow. If someone really wanted to go there I would go along but would not go out of my way to eat there again myself. I will say that much was said about the desserts but we didn't try any since we are not into desserts.

• Visited September 2012