“This place is terrible”

Burnstad European Cafe
Ranked #4 of 38 Restaurants in Tomah
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hartsville, South Carolina
“This place is terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

Since my wife and I stayed in Tomah for a night, we decided to have dinner here. What a mistake! This was the worse place we ate in during our whole four week trip across America! I would give no stars if I could.

Our entrees where cold by the time the were served. The server was rude and the policy of the restaurant to charge to substitute another vegetable for the potato that was served was just plain cheap by them. Every other place we ate, including all of the finer restaurants had no problem doing this.

If you are in Tomah for the night, just make sure you bypass this joint. It is that bad.

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank RichardZ

wi
“Delicious Food and Great Selection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

Located in a strip of European specialities, this cute little restaurant serves wonderfully prepared selections.
Presentation was whimsical- my roasted red potatoes were carved into tiny toadstools!
I enjoyed the walleye- approx $18 for a bread basket of assorted slices of fresh bread (rye, wheat, cheese, etc), wild rice soup, lovely fillet, potatoes, and roasted tomato sauce. Some fun options on the less expensive side included a flight of soups: MN wild rice, chicken gnocchi, and soup of the day (?) for around $6, and a European cheese plate. Sandwiches were around or under $10. Entrees were between $10-20 for most options. Everyone in my party enjoyed their meal: soups, salads, mushroom ravioli, walleye... and PIE! They offer a large selection of pies. The selection changes every day, and the display is lovely!
The ambiance is of a small bistro on a European street. It is located inside, so there aren't any windows. The pub next door may have windows, but the dining room was open to the indoor "streets" of the market. It's not too far from either I-90 or I-94, so it's worth the stop even if you're just driving through.

• Visited July 2011
2 Thank WiTraveler1234
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“one of top two restaurants in Tomah”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2011

Nice atmosphere and includes a pub and finer-type dining restaurant. Decent food. Better than average, especially given the area in which it is located. Steak sandwich is decent, quesadilla (chicken and/or vegetable) is okay and the wild rice soup and spaetzle soup is very good. French fries are yummy. Hamburgers are fairly good as well. Decent beer list but wine list needs some work. Has a martini list and given the area, is pretty progressive. Have not tried the pies but am told the sour cream raisin pie is quite good and they have several other varieties of pie as well. Has a very nice grocery store attached and some smaller stores with polyester ladies clothing and vinyl purses along with cards and Amish goods included.

2 Thank whitelegsofthenorth
Topeka, KS
“Not what I expected....it was better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2010

I was just in Wisconsin for a couple weeks and found this restaurrant. I was expecting an ordinary place and boy was I pleasantly surprised. The dinner menu is full of choices with some unique dinner items like duck. I had that and it was really good, try their open faced French Dip, with the potato salad.....OH YEAH!! I liked this place so much that in the two weeks in that area, I ate there four times. Staff is attentive and with all the connecting shops, this is a one-stop shop for souvenirs, groceries, and a meal. At one time, we had a party of 14 and all had positive words for my choice in selecting this palce to eat. Overall, a nice find off the main thoroughfare. I would definitely go again when in that area.

1 Thank CA_Native_in_KS