“Wow!”
Review of The Victoria Inn

The Victoria Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Holkham
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We made an impromptu stopover as we drove past during a weekend visit to the area and thought it looked good. We were greeted by very professional and helpful staff who showed us our room which was stunning and really comfortable. We had a 3 year old who was also greeted in a friendly manner which continued during the duration of our stay. Staff couldn't do enough and dinner and breakfast were delicious (Eggs Benedict were yummy!). Good quality in-room toiletries (sorry - couldn't resist!) and refreshments (I only just managed to resist ;-). Complimentary port was a nice touch. Holkham is a stunning location with a beach and natural marsh and wildlife on the doorstop. Great that they were very dog friendly too. Looking forward to returning soon and often.

Room Tip: The top floor family room was awesome - separate bedroom for the little ones and two gorgeous bathro...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelNutLondon
Ben H, Manager at The Victoria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Thank you for your kind words, I am delighted that your stay was made so enjoyable by the team at the Victoria; we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

This was our third visit for dinner since it was refurbished. My wife and I brought two friends who had never been before but who had just bought a house nearby. So expectations were high and we all wanted to have a great meal so that we would want to return often. Oh dear.......three of us ordered the fillet steak....the most expensive choice on the menu. The steak was of poor quality and cooked appallingly. Two were sent back as were rare when medium and medium well were ordered. They came back a little browner but still rare inside. They went back again and this time a new steak arrived.......sadly no better. To get it wrong three times at £25 a steak is poor. We can't understand how this can happen as it inevitably leads to a memory that discounts the Victoria when we come to choose one of the vast number of good eateries in the locality. We want it to be good so we can keep coming back but the Victoria doesn't share the same mindset. Fare play, the manager acknowledged that the steaks were unacceptable and the bill reflected it. Come on....this is basic fare.......you need to delight your customers not underwhelm them.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Suppertipper

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at the Victoria.
Firstly I would like to assure you that my team and I at the Victoria are committed delivering a quality food and beverage offer as well as exceptional customer service which I am sure you will see highlighted in our recent reviews.
Over the years I have worked with many chefs and indeed spent 8 years of my own career working in kitchens and I can honestly say if I was asked to put a chef forward to work a grill section in a busy kitchen and deliver consistency time and again Matt our sous chef would be that Chef.
Therefore I find myself in the rather uncomfortable position of my own surprise almost outweighing your disappointment as when investigating your review Matt immediately informed me that he was working the grill section on the evening in question and was entirely at fault!
As far as the quality of the meat is concerned all our beef is sourced from reputable local suppliers although of coarse every animal is different and maybe a tough fillet could have thrown Matt’s usually impeccable touch.
Thank you in particular for your acknowledgment of our F&B manager’s actions towards rectifying the issues on the evening in question. I am a great believer that exceptional customer service can rescue a poor dining experience although understandably on this occasion we still have some way to go and I would like to have the opportunity to discuss this with you, should you have the time to do so I would be delighted to hear from you and can be contacted at the Victoria.
Kind regards
Ben

Reviewed March 20, 2014

We went for a meal here on the Friday night of our trip. A couple with a dog. The food was amazingly cooked and well presented. The menu had a great selection and the wine was wonderful. The thing that impressed me most was how hospitable they were towards not only us but our pooch! The waitress brought over a water bowl and offered biscuits to him as if he were another paying customer. I was very happy with the service and the staff where amazing. The owner should be very proud of his staff, they made this a lovely experience for us.
Thank you and we will be returning next time we are in the area.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ben H, Manager at The Victoria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

“SO pleased your review majored on the customer service delivered by our staff. After 13 years of running the “Vic” in-house (apart from 2011-12 when Adnams had a management contract), I genuinely believe at present it’s the best it’s been. That is down to Ben our manager and his fantastic team. Only yesterday we had a staff induction day for all new estate staff, at which 4 new Vic were present. What impressed me most about them was they all had the right Attitude, we can teach them the Aptitude. I AM immensely proud of all our staff.
Thank you and do come and visit us again.”

Tom

Viscount Coke, Owner.”

Reviewed March 10, 2014

We just spent 2 nights here and really enjoyed it. Our room was warm and comfortable. The bathroom was great - fluffy white towels, wonderfully scented bath products and under floor heating. The overhead shower head was huge and I definitely achieved monsoon-like rain once I'd picked the limescale out of a few of the blocked holes! My only regret in the bathroom - and this is being picky - is that there were no facecloths!
In the room, there was a great selection of teas (Clipper) and nifty single cup filter coffee bags to enjoy when we got back from walking along the beautiful Holkham beach. Interestingly, there was a copy of Lady Chatterley's Lover positioned on the table which certainly makes a change from the standard Gideon Bible that you usually find in hotel rooms!
We had dinner at the hotel on both nights of our stay. Both meals were completely delicious. I had roasted hake with wilted greens and dauphinoise potatoes and my partner in crime had a very tender and tasty steak. On the second night, we had moules mariniéres and chicken, both of which were lovely. The atmosphere and the service were great.
Breakfast time was until 11am which suited us well and there was a great selection of cereals, fruit, pastries and cooked food.
The location of the hotel is perfect for serious walkers as well as for those just wanting to have a stroll in the stunning parkland of Holkham Hall or along the famous beach. It's also handy for shopping in Burnham Market - lots to do. I wish we could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: We were in room 1 - very comfortable with dual aspect.
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

Really impressed by my experience (had food only), £15 menu from 15 miles within the hotel was lovely, venison capachio was exceptional. Service was really good too friendly and very attentive. Tasty Local food, in a very comfortable setting, great service, by my favourite beach, does not get much better then that!!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Ben H, Manager at The Victoria Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Thank you for a lovely review.

It’s so pleasing to read you enjoyed all our restaurant has to offer, may be next time it could be made a little better and you could relax and enjoy a night away in one of our comfortable bedrooms and indulge after dinner with a complementary port or brandy by the wood burner in our drawing room.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We very much enjoyed our 2 night stay at this lovely Pub with Rooms. Our room (9) was cozy and well equipped. The bathroom was huge, great shower, lovely deep bathtub, fluffy towels and robes and nice products. The public rooms are inviting and warm with nice fireplaces. Just the sort of place you need after a bracing walk on the wonderful Holkham Beach. Breakfast was tasty with enough choices. On Sunday we ate in the restaurant and found the 15 mile menu excellent value. 3 courses for £15 and everything sourced from within 15 miles of the Inn. The mussels, pheasant and cheeses were excellent. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

I am delighted to hear that we were able to make your birthday treat a memorable occasion.

Thank you for your review and a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY from us all.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

March 2014 dinner, bed & breakfast.Very warm welcome. Rooms are just perfect, lots of very nice extra touches.All the staff,
reception,bar,waiting & room preparation are very friendly, helpful & cheerful.Dinner was a little disappointing, breakfast was good. Just enjoyed a relaxing break in a superb location.

Room Tip: All rooms are very comfortable
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holkham
The Hoste
#1 of 1 in Heacham
Black Lion Hotel
Black Lion Hotel
#1 of 1 in Walsingham

Been to The Victoria Inn? Share your experiences!