“Great atmosphere - food needs to be kicked up a notch”

Shorty's Pizza and Smoked Meat
Ranked #12 of 87 Restaurants in Superior
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene
Duluth, Minnesota
“Great atmosphere - food needs to be kicked up a notch”
Reviewed June 27, 2014

The huge bar here is great and super clean! Service from the bartenders is excellent! However the food is just average. We haven't cared for the "smoked meat" items on the menu so generally stop in for burgers, which are really reasonably priced. Great fresh tomatoes, lettuce and onion top each burger, however they just taste mediocre. One must use the salt shaker in order to add some taste. Shorty's you have so much potential! You just need some education in the kitchen on how to put your food over the top.

• Visited June 2014

Barnum, Minnesota
“Above average pizza with below average service.”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

No one noticed us when we came in. Our waitress was inattentive and was more interested in being in back talking. She never offered us refills on beverages or a box for the remainder of the pizza we ordered. We ordered the Santa Fe pizza, which was pretty good. This place has lot of potential but with wait staff like they have, it will be a while before we go back.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank CAROL J
Wisconsin
“Again, GREAT food!”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We ordered a variety of food at our lunch. A friend ordered the ruben burger and loved it, another one ordered a spicy burger and loved it. I ordered a soup and salad and they were great. The salad greens were fresh and tasty! The salad was huge and full of great flavors! The french and blu cheese dressing seemed like it was homemade (I didn't ask) and fabulous! One ordered a cup of the mushroom soup and said it was perfectly made. This is our new "go to" restaurant in town. Keep up the quality and good work, Shorty's.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank maestraWisconsin
Superior, Wisconsin
“Shorty's is Long on Potential”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Two trips so far. Will keep going back in hopes of further improvements. Overall, I like what they're trying to do here.

1) Smoked meat = beef brisket. I would personally find all of the Smoked Meat menu items more enticing is they were called Brisket menu items - but maybe that's just me. Brisket is a good thing, don't hide it.

2) They have a decent selection of tap beers, and about ten (or so) different frozen drinks in the slushy-type machines ready for pouring. No quarrels about the drink choices.

3) I go to Canada often and have learned to appreciate a good poutine (something like what you would get in the U.S. when ordering "loaded fries). Shorty's poutine is nothing special, mainly because the fires just aren't that good. They give you plenty of gravy and cheese turds (curds, I know), but the base layer of potatoes is uninspiring. I added the chopped brisket to my poutine and that was a good call, IMO.

4) Can't decide if they are trying to be a sports bar or a pickup joint. They have lots of big screen TVs on the walls, but their cable package/equipment only allows them to show two different channels at once. I went in on a big college football night and wanted to watch several games all at once. No can do.

5) The beer signs with constantly flashing and rotating lights are rather annoying. Just put a disco ball in the middle of the room if that's the look you're aiming for.

6) Criticisms aside, I think they have the chance to create a pretty special place here. Great-looking desserts greet you in a display case when you walk in. Their menu is a bit off the beaten path (that's also good). They have a good location and plenty of space. Now, just crank it up a notch and you'll have a loyal customer.

• Visited October 2013
Superior, Wisconsin
“Eh”
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband have tried this a few times. The first take out order, we got a specialty pepperoni and sausage. The pizza tasted good but the portions of the sausage were skimpy. The next day we decided to get just a pepperoni pizza to try again because the first pizza tasted pretty good. The cheese was so thick that the crust was undercooked and unappetizing. We got the Thanksgiving balls too and they were mushy and tasteless. I posted a complaint on their page on Facebook and the owner called me to discuss their errors. She was very friendly and apologetic. She gave me a $25 gift certificate which we used to get 2 pizzas that fed the family. The pizzas tasted good and were cooked correctly and portioned perfect. We are interested to try the sandwiches but never again we'll get pizza again from there. In fact, there are fantastic sandwich places we'll probably go to before we think about Shorty's.