“Are their glory days over?”

Hammond Bar & Steak House
Ranked #10 of 89 Restaurants in Superior
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Reviewed August 14, 2014

This used to be one of Superior's best places. I've eaten there several times over the years, however the past two times have been more like one or two stars.

A couple of months ago we had a group in there for an end-of-school-year banquet. They gave us a few choices off the menu: with entree choices one fish, one beef, one chicken. I ordered the fish. Oops. Really lousy fried fish. Either the fish was old or it was reheated from the day before - or something else that would explain a really lousy piece of fish. My wife and two other people at our table ordered the beef. Oops again. My wife rarely complains about her food, but this was not a good piece of meat. Two kids had the chicken and seemed to think it was okay.

We like the service and the servers. They're well-meaning people. However, the quality of the food in this place has gone down substantially while the prices have gone up. Probably the only chance that I'll be back here is if I have to attend another group function that picks this place. Or, if I hear from others that they've returned to take another run at their glory years. You can't live on your reputation forever, maybe it's time they started a new one.

2  Thank Barry D

Reviewed July 24, 2014

The service in the restaurant is very good. The steak is flavorful and tender. If you are in Superior I recommend the Hammond for its steak.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

The Hammond Bar and Steak House has fantastic food at very reasonable rates. The staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The bar and liquor store is very well stocked.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

A blast from the past kind of restaurant. Décor is old but the place looked clean and waitress was attentive and helpful to us first-timers. We both ate the Prime Rib--mine was "Queen" portion for $14.99 and his "King" portion was $16.99. Not sure how a previous review states the food was over-priced! Our primes were delicious and my hash browns were crunchy and onion-laden. Caesar salads were good. Looks to me like they have a steady,loyal clientele and we plan to re-visit.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

I went there with girlfriends. It was bustling with locals which is always a good sign. It was loud, dark and dated. The server was fabulous - funny and friendly. The food was average and overpriced. The prime rib was substandard. I probably wouldn't go back.

2  Thank MnPolishPrincess