“If you Have to go to Superior.....”

Holiday Inn Express Superior
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Superior
Virginia Beach VA
“If you Have to go to Superior.....”
Reviewed August 5, 2010

If you have to go to Superior, I would suggest you do some research about the area. The purpose of my trip was business, and my employer booked the hotel. It overlooks the beautiful Lake Superior with the Days Inn in your way, but still it is a convenient property .
The property is fair in decor, but the rooms are comfortable . My room was on the 3rd floor, and I was advised to enter and park in the rear of the building. The parking is kind of confusing with only two handicap spaces in the front, with the rest on the sides and rear.

THere is a breakfast served in the morning. It is a mix of things, some hot, some cold, but for free, it has something for everyone. Nothing special, but I think all of SUperior is about the same. They are big on not changing towels daily, (which is a pet peeve for me). When I am home, I like a fresh towel, and expect it in hotels unless I request it.

THe staff was friendly and helpful. They have a list of local restaurants to visit they give you. I would not recommend the Barker Island Inn, as the service is marginal, and I think it is beyond it's prime.

The area is beautiful, however, Superior is limited in it's resources. The Holiday Inn was pleasant enough....

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
janesville, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 30, 2010

My wife and I spent 3 days backpacking the Superior Hiking Trail along the north shore of Lake Superior. After 3 days in the wild, we were looking for a clean, comfortable place to spend the night. We punched in Holiday Inn Express on the GPS and found this facility. We had always had good experiences at HIE.

When I approached the front desk to inquire about availability (on a Monday night), the desk clerk said they had rooms on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd floor (obviously not at capacity). I asked about any specials and she said rack rate was all she could do. Well, we were tired so we agreed. We got to our assigned room and, upon opening the door, were hit by the stench of stale cigarette smoke. We immediately went to the front desk and asked for a non-smoking room. She said that all rooms were non-smoking, but she reluctantly agreed to move us. In the second room, it again smelled of smoke (geez, buy some air freshener or something), but not quite as overwhelming.

We showered and went out to dinner and came back to the room to sleep. As we lay down, we noticed the sound of running water. The toilet was leaking so every 15 seconds or so, it would re-fill, then stop, then re-fill, then stop. Kind of like water-torture. I was able to mitigate this by closing the toilet shut-off valve.

The room above us was obviously occupied, as we could hear the heavy footsteps of the occupant all night.

Breakfast in the morning was, to say the leat, disappointing. It consisted of scrambled eggs (the crumbly kind that appeared to be made from powdered eggs), sausage, and cereal. The toaster had 4 slots, but only one worked, so waiting for your turn would bring you up to lunchtime. Coffee was good. No bacon, no omelets, and the assortment of fruit was bananas, only bananas.

I understand that all HIEs are supposed follow corporate guidelines, but this one is obviously dragging its feet. They need to get up to speed. Again, all of our previous stays at Holiday Inn Express have been delightful. Not this one.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Paul-N-Pam
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed July 24, 2010

We were unable to find a hotel within our price range in Duluth (Hockey Tournaments going on) so with help from Holiday Inn in St Paul found this for $114 a night. I bit pricey for my taste, but was a nice solution next to the $250-300 per night options that were left. It does have free hot breakfast, which everyone was able to find something to eat. The beds were queens which are nice compared to doubles, and the hotel was clean. Only a bridge away from Duluth, about 10 minutes.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Lansing, MI
Reviewed July 24, 2010

I got in late and did not use the pool, but it looked bigger than most hotel pools. Also had a hot tub and both were in working order and clean. Exercise room with 2 treadmills and a bike- all appeared to be in working order. Breakfast was usual HIE fare, but no fruit Front desk staff efficient at checking me in and out. Clean room with the expected annemities. Typical HIE (and that is a good thing).

Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
minneapolis
Reviewed June 28, 2010

We stayed here with a large group of families who were in town for a soccer tournament in Duluth. We had a nice time and our room was clean and spacious. There was a complimentary breakfast with some hot items, small business center, pool with hot tub and exercise room with a couple of treadmills. I didn't hear any complaints about the place from the many families in our group. The hotel is pretty convenient to Duluth attractions, but there was tons of construction going on in and around the city. There is a nice long paved path along the water across from the hotel near a park and museum. Downtown Superior had some funky places to eat for adults like the Anchor Bar and the Thirsty Pagan.

• Stayed June 2010
Lees Summit
Reviewed October 16, 2009

The extended family we traveled with booked both our room and theirs via travelocity as both we and they do often with travel. When we arrived the family we were traveling with did not get the family suite in which they booked and paid for. The staff was completely unwilling to fix the situation or give a discount on the smaller room (still not ideal for family of 5 kids).

Our room had a big metal bar with sharp edge sticking out of the frame. My son hit this 2 times and brought him to tears both times as it hurt so back - almost broke the skin a couple times. When brining this up with the staff, they said oh that shouldn't be there we will let the management know. This was the same management that wouldn't work with us on the room for the other family.

It is too bad as the hotel itelf was pretty good, but the staff totally ruined the experience.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Minnesota
Reviewed September 7, 2009

This is a nice hotel. One of the nicer ones outside of a resort, in the duluth area. Very clean rooms with modern amenities and comfortable beds. Nice pool area. It sounds as if the fuse blows quite often on the whirlpool. Just as the front desk and they will fix it. Good breakfast with more options than a typical continental breakfast. (eggs, sausauge, cinnamon rolls)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Superior
Best Western Bridgeview Hotel
Super 8 Superior WI
Super 8 Superior WI
#1 of 9 in Superior
Holiday Inn & Suites Duluth Downtown

Been to Holiday Inn Express Superior? Share your experiences!