“Very Pleasant Stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Superior
Clara City, MN
“Very Pleasant Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2009

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Superior over Super Bowl Weekend (Saturday night through Monday morning). There was a hockey tournament in the area so there were pre-teen boys running around a lot, but that didn't affect our stay at all. We had a King Bed room which was next to the ice machine and even though I've read a lot of reviews complaining about this location (and I'm a very light sleeper) we didn't have any problems with noise. The room was very nice and large. It was clean and the staff were very nice.

Even with all the people in the hotel over this weekend there was always plenty of food at the breakfast. They do a great job of keeping everything full. If you're expecting a restaurant breakfast you're not going to get it, but for a continental breakfast it is really good.

The pool and hottub are very nice. They are actually better than other Holiday Inn Express facilities that we've been to. The only thing that I will warn is that they allow people from the area to pay a fee to come in and use the pool area. It really wasn't that big of a deal but be prepared for people to come in from the local area to use the pool.

Overall this is a nice hotel for the money. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Bayfield, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2009

Our extended family stayed several nights at the Holiday Inn Express in Superior over the Christmas holiday. The entire experience from start to finish was excellent. Manager Stacy, front desk clerk Courtney, breakfast room host, housekeepers, everyone were pleasant and helpful. The rooms were clean, pillows and beds very comfortable, breakfast outstanding - a great value and we would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
St. Paul, MN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2008

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Superior based on recommendations from this site, but had a disappointing experience.

The cleaning staff had mistakenly left cleaning supplies in our room when we checked in, but we didn't know this, so we were in the process of changing clothes when a cleaning person simply entered the room-- no knock, no warning. We then sat around the room for a few minutes, getting settled, but there was so much noise from the room above us (probably kids playing, but it sounded like elephants) and it kept up for over 15 minutes straight so we asked to switch rooms. It's not just the rooms near the ice machines that are loud in this hotel-- it has poor soundproofing in general.

The front desk staff told us we weren't able to switch rooms because they were full. Not 20 minutes earlier they had asked us which floor we wanted to be on-- and now they're full? We nicely pointed this out and they switched us to a quieter 3rd floor room.

Other minor annoyances: the "wireless" internet is restricted to the lobby area; otherwise you need a cord from the desk. The iron in our room did not work. The hotel does not recycle-- we saw other guests leaving a pile of trash in the parking lot and brought it inside, but ended up bringing home several empty bottles ourselves to recycle. The breakfast was standard, but healthy options were few and far between (no fruit, no real juice, etc.). The rooms were on the small side, the furnishings seemed older, and the staff were not friendly or helpful.

In all, this might have been okay for a much lower room rate, but the $117 rate we paid for a standard room was ridiculous-- by far our worst experience at a Holiday Inn.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Carlell
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

The Holiday Inn Express was a great place to stay in Superior! The room was clean, and more importantly, the bathroom was clean! The best part about my stay, was the awesome continental breakfast! You won't leave hungry!

• Liked — breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
Minneapolis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2008

I stayed here 2 separate weekends this past winter, one in late February, one early in March. It's a typical Holiday Inn Express, nothing out of the ordinary in either the positive or negative.

The first weekend I booked a King room and it was next to the ice and vending machines and there was a very annoying mechanical noise which kept switching off and on. I complained and they switched me to another room which was actually a suite and very nice. I found out then that the only King rooms at that location are next to the ice and vending machines so I switched my next reservation from a King to 2 queen beds. That weekend the hotel was packed and they put me in a room with a door to the next room. Whoever was in that room had the TV on extremely loud and the noise came through the door. It was loud enough that I had to turn the TV in my room up so I could hear it ok. So, asked for another room, that was a problem because the hotel was fully booked that weekend but when I insisted they moved me to another room that was much better.

The staff were helpful and considerate both times when I asked to switch to another room, even when there wasn't much for options.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
Superior, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2008

I rented a jacuzzi suite at the HI Express-Superior for my daughter's 16th birthday and had a wonderful stay. We were checked in promptly at 3:00 and the staff was very friendly. The room was large with a kitchenette station with a sink, microwave, fridge and some kitchen supplies. There was a large king bed and a pullout sofa sleeper. Also a comfy chair with ottoman, desk, and table and chairs. The bathroom was quite large and is where the jacuzzi is located. The jacuzzi could fit two or three people comfortably. The pool area in the hotel was very nice and clean and with a large hot tub that my daughter and her friends enjoyed. The continental breakfast was also great. The cinnamon rolls are to die for, and there was a large variety of fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, juices and scrambled eggs.

Our room came to $170 + tax which I thought was reasonable since this was a special occasion. This is my third stay at a HI Express and I haven't been disappointed yet.

• Liked — Cleanliness, Quiet
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Ham Lake, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2007

I stayed at this hotel before and I thought it was great! It was clean, the staff was nice, and all around it was good! I have also stayed at the Barker's Island Inn in Superior, but it really is not a good place to stay at. This is by far the greatest place in Superior to stay!

Stayed August 2003
1 Thank Traveler1077
Also consider these accommodations in or near Superior
BEST WESTERN Bridgeview Hotel
Park Point Marina Inn
#2 of 33 in Duluth
South Pier Inn on the Canal
Holiday Inn & Suites Duluth Downtown

Been to Holiday Inn Express Superior? Share your experiences!