“Consistently welcoming and clean”

Holiday Inn Express Superior
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Superior
Lakeville, Minnesota
“Consistently welcoming and clean”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I have stayed here numerous times this fall, as well as over the last few years for business. This hotel is clean and the staff is always very friendly. I am a stickler for clean bathrooms and their bathrooms and the hotel overall is very clean. The staff is friendly and the breakfast is hot and has lots to choose from: waffles, eggs, cereal, yogurt and juice. Check out the nice walking trail across the street that goes along the lake.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We go to Duluth once or twice a year, and found this to be a great option. Conveniently located, quiet and very clean. The breakfast is complimentary and plentiful. The kids loved the pancake machine (OK I want one for home too!) Be sure to check out the Richard I.Bong Veterans Historical Center across the street. For the little one's there is also a public park across the street as well. Nice size pool, and an old-style A&W drive-in nearby.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 21, 2011

4 cars were broken into while we stayed there for a weekend. They could have made the place safer with some standard lighting outside. Considering we paid slightly less to stay there than Canal Park or downtown Duluth, I'd just put in the extra few bucks and stay in Duluth.

4 Thank dzabz
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I'd give the HIE Superior a solid 3.5 stars. I've had a relatively nice stay. Our room is comfortable and in decent condition, although a bit outdated. Housekeeping varies from person to person. Some did a great job, other days they seemed to do a shoddy job. I shouldn't have to pick up a left behind cleaning rag and find our new towels on the floor and edge of the sink. We found some items in drawers left behind from other travelers including a 5 month old receipt.
The parking is on the sides or in the back of the hotel. The front has a covered area where you can unload guests/luggage, but there's no lot there. So be prepared w/ your key card to enter the other doors from the parking areas.
I've slept well, which is wonderful and rare. The bed is comfortable and the linens are in good shape. The cable on the TV (32" LCDs) is not clear. I'm sure if I complained someone would have attempted to fix it, but it wasn't important to me. The a/c worked really well. The free internet was adequate, although a little frustrating b/c there's no automatic connection. I had to 'agree to terms' every time.
The pool provided us with hours amusement. The pool room itself was hot, which is fine if you're swimming in the cool water. The surround of the pool could use a really good scrubbing. Hot tub shows some age, but was nice and warm. Most of the time the view is of the staff sitting together smoking out back. Most were very sweet and friendly. I just wish that as a whole they weren't so apathetic about the condition of the hotel.
Breakfast in the morning was more than adequate, although not particularly memorable. The automatic pancake machine was amusing. The only fruit was the same bananas every morning of our stay. But, we ate well and walked away full for hours.
The area leaves a lot to be desired. There are a few tourist stops on the main road next to the hotel, but nothing is noteworthy IMO. The city itself is worn out and there's not a lot of family activities around. The Mariner's Mall looked like a haunted house. The proximity to Duluth is what drew me to the hotel. It's a quick trip over the bridge and a good location to get away from the tourists there.
If I returned to Superior, I'd definitely stay again. I really wanted to feel at home in the HIE and while it's comfortable enough, it's not as inviting as other HIEs that I've stayed at. The hotel is great for a quick stop over, but if I return to the Duluth area, I'd likely book earlier at a hotel in Canal Park.

4 Thank traelee
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Do you want to visit the shores of Lake Superior? Are you ok not staying in the heart of the sights of the area? Then the Holiday Inn Express - Superior is for you.

I've spent many nights in this hotel during the past two years, as I travel frequently to the area for work. I keep coming back to the HIE-Superior because they consistently provide good service, a good night of sleep, at a price that is not inflated by a location in Canal Park.

This is a well-kept, quiet hotel that is across the highway from the bay - it's close enough that rooms on the third floor can easily see past the bay into Lake Superior. While it is a slightly older hotel, it has been well-maintained and the hotel is currently being upgraded with new furniture, signage, and even new equipment in the fitness room. Breakfast is fairly standard HIE, but the breakfast room is light and welcoming. The staff is consistently friendly, and they work to help you enjoy your stay in the area.

If you like hustle and bustle or want to be able to easily stroll to the Lake Walk or the restaurants of Canal Park, then this is not the hotel for you. However, if you want a good value in the area and don't need to be in the middle of Duluth, then you should definitely look at this hotel!

Room Tip: Request a room on the 3rd floor with a lake view - it's the best way to see Lake Sueprior in thi...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank CoMoRob
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Stayed here during 2011 Grandma's Marathon weekend. Staff was prepared to handle high volume of runners staying here. Goody bag greeted us at our room. They even had a special early breakfast for runners on race day and had slips for us to fill out regarding housekeeping arrangements while we were gone for the morning. Easy commute to downtown Duluth from here, so attractions and dining options are plentiful. Room was always clean. Would stay here again next time I run Grandma's!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Stayed here one night. Upon checking in, a group of 20+ boys were fighting in the lobby, throwing each other over chairs, etc. We were told there was a boys hockey team staying there. I asked the clerk what the hotel policy was for disruptive guests. She said if there was a problem, just let them know and they'd take care of it. At 10pm, went down to the front desk regarding the boys slamming into our door, running in the hall, shouting, etc. Never got better. At 1:30am, phoned the front desk, we were told they'd take care of it. At 3:45am, the noise settled down for 1 hour. At 4:45am, noise started back up. Per the terms of the "hospitality promise", i asked clerk upon checkout to adjust our bill for the horrible night's stay we had. We were told they'd credited us $20. Yes, apparently losing an entire night's sleep is only worth $20 off your bill. Just a warning to other travelers that if you expect to get any rest, don't stay here. Staff does not stand behind the "hospitality promise", nor do they seem to care.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank LoveMaineLighthouses
Also consider these accommodations in or near Superior
Best Western Bridgeview Hotel
Comfort Suites Canal Park
Comfort Inn West
Comfort Inn West
#11 of 33 in Duluth

Been to Holiday Inn Express Superior? Share your experiences!