“NOT my usual kind of place...”
Review of Androy Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Superior
Androy Hotel
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Superior
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I was in Duluth for business and my corporate travel agent couldn't get me a room. It was in the summer and I know NOW that's not a great time to go because it's when tourists go.

I flew to Minneapolis, got into my rental car, and drove up there and spent 3 hours being told "no rooms, come back Sunday!"
Then I walked into the Androy. I could hear the attached bar, but it wasn't obnoxious.
I explained that I needed a room for the next week and a half, and the clerk was floored! She was so friendly and gave me a really good rate for a larger than average room. It had two beds, and I could tell that it had been smoking at one point, but wasn't anymore. It didn't bother me, however.
The rooms were not what I usually go for, but this time it just seemed kind of like the way it was many years ago. The beds were a little on the firm side for me, but this sweet girl at the desk brought me 4 of their oldstyle comforters and I folded them up and slept on those.
Honestly I would have probably bought an air mattress if we hadn't come up with that solution but I was saving a lot of money.

I also really enjoyed the restaurant on site. It reminds of places we ate in rural towns when I was a little kid. And was always absolutely delicious! I never had anything I didn't like and I had to try REALLY hard to spend $10!

I'm used to being pampered more, but this was a very nice change for once! If I ever do go back I'd for sure, if not with my kids, to eat!
There were some road work issues but I easily found a way to take sidestreets to downtown Duluth where my trainings were being held.

Room Tip: Mine was to the left as you left the elevator I can't remember which floor. It was quiet but so...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank slutcakes

Reviewed September 2, 2012

I understood this to be a low budget place, and I was expecting "no frills"... I was NOT expecting filth. The lobby has a quaint "Little House on the Prairie" feel to it, but rest assured, the rustic charm ends there. Upstairs in my room I found sticky carpets, poorly-functioning swamp coolers, crusty ceiling tiles, and mold in the bathtub. Not to mention the fact that the "amenities" pretty much end with toilet paper. The front desk help was extremely friendly, but that still didn't make up for the state of the rooms. As much as I wanted to love this place I won't stay here again. I left feeling dirty.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank bharp78
Reviewed May 11, 2012

This hotel should not be allowed to rent rooms. It advertizes that it is smoke free, but they "grandfather" the renters in so they can smoke. Rooms were ok, but everything is old and all the bathroom fixtures need to be replaced.

On a good note, the front desk staff was very nice in giving me my money back so I could go to another hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Barb B
Reviewed April 21, 2012

I called for a reservation and the person who answered was RUDE! I was spelling my name/email addy using..B as in boy etc. He told me to STOP TALKING LIKE THAT and just spell it. I did, he got it wrong AGAIN. I tried to correct him he yelled at me saying THAT"S WHAT I SAID. Which he had wrong again. If THIS is the first thing you get before you even stay there, there is NO WAY I would walk into your door. Customer Service classes are needed in this establishment!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Debi F
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice before when in Superior for the night to go out with friends, while it is older and no frills, it is clean, located in the center of the downtown bars/nightlife and with rates at $55 you can't beat it! It is a older property, but I think that is part of the unique charm. . It is certainly a no frills hotel, but rooms are clean and offer radio alarm clock, tv, 2 queen beds and all no smoking rooms. There is also a bar on site and 24 hour cafe style restaurant that has good basic homestyle, breakfast, lunch and dinner all for a cheap price.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are probably the same, as this hotel is more of a historic unchanged landmark hote...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank northshoregirl1
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Located on a busy street In Superior....MANY bars within walking distance and mom and pop breakfast restaurant downstairs. Hotel is OLD but clean.... when can you get a room for $40 these days including tax? If you do not plan on doing anything but sleeping in your room anyways....this is perfect. Clean and quiet. Barsoap in room but no shampoo.... You can tell hotel is old....but staff was so friendly and helpful. I will use this hotel again when in the area. $100 less than some other hotels in Superior and it was quiet.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank rgillMinnesota
Reviewed September 16, 2011

This is an old historiec hotel. Still has mail drops between the floors, a bar, and cafeteria. It is OLD. Everything about it is old and could use renovation. Rooms are either small or big, usually no ac, and sometimes the steam radiators do not work that well. But, you are right downtown and can walk alot of places if you like bars and joints. There are strips joints all around. It is not a kid friendly hotel unless you are going out of the area. Not always the cleanest, but enjoy the atmosphere a lot.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank TravelerWithDog
Also consider these accommodations in or near Superior
Super 8 Superior WI
Hampton Inn Superior Duluth
Pier B Resort
Pier B Resort
#10 of 31 in Duluth

Been to Androy Hotel? Share your experiences!