“Booking Agency - Bad Business”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Barkers Island Inn

Barkers Island Inn
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Superior
Brandon, Canada
“Booking Agency - Bad Business”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2010

We booked our trip on line, and they had a booking agency which took our money immediately as soon as we booked. Our reservation said nothing about advance payment. Once arriving we were told we could not change our dates and all money paid was non-refundable. We wanted to leave a day early. We showed them our sheet and did not seem to want to help. Blamed it all on Booking Agency. Finally talked to one of the managers and she got us a refund on the one night. Very Bad Business. Staff, except for Manager was not helpful.

The rooms were roomy and we had a good view of the harbour, could watch the ships going out. The rooms are very cut up, doors to go through, that should not be. Obviously had additions added from time to time. It was clean and comfortable. Had the pool basically to ourselves. Nice big pool, and deep so you can actually swim. Has a shallow end for children. Restaurant was very good. Excellent food and good staff. If you decide to stay, just call them directly to make a reservation, and this hotel should be fine to stay at.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Jetter987

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Anoka, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Barkers Inn just recently for our 1year anniversary. We thought it was going to be a great place to stay, because the web site marks it up pretty good, and we thought it was nice to be on an "island". We checked in late Friday night to our "Poolside" room, which our room was seperated by a wall and glass windows.. Not exactly easy acess to the pool. First thing I noticed in the room when I lay on the bed was that the cabinet in the corner was filthy with finger smudge marks all over it. I thought, ok they missed the cabinet I guess.. No biggy. Then my husband went to check out the dresser drawers and wedged behind them is some other persons clothing, a bra, shirts etc. The bathroom had pubic hair on the tub and floors as well as a layer of dust along the sink/mirror ledge.
Not only was this place dirty, but the beds were HORRIBLE. If you like sleeping on concrete, you just might like the beds. My husband and I tossed and turned all night long, and had to stretch for about a half hour from being so stiff.
The staff was not very helpful when my husband requested an exchange on our pillows because he is allergic to feathers. He called once to exchange them, and a young man brought us two pillows (there are 4 in the room) and didn't even take the feather ones out. Then my husband called a second time as we were leaving for dinner, hoping by the time we got back (3 hours later) the pillows would have been exchanged. Sure thing when we got back, no new pillows, and the same pile of feather pillows on the floor. Now my husband is having a sneezing attack, and I (being 6 months pregnant) grab this armload of pillows and have to returen them myself to the front desk and retrieve the others. This is bad service, if you ask me.

Overall the stay ehh, so so. Not much I liked about the place.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Superior hotels

minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

Great place to stay, even though it is out of town and with road construction is hard to get to from downtown Duluth/Canal Park. We got 2 free drink tickets and breakfast coupons which was great. They were supposed to have a bonfire on the patio, however the truck didn't drop off any wood so that was bummer especially on the last weekend of the "summer". Weather was cold and rainy otherwise would have been perfect to walk to the marina/barker's island. Lots of families with kids were here. The rooms were kinda smoky smelling and the lights in the bathroom were really dark for about 5 minutes when the finally go to be full brightness, which was annoying. Our shower wasn't cleaned real well, had hair on the top of the shower. We were kinda bummed that since we in Wisconsin (only 2 miles from Minnesota) they didn't have FSNorth , instead had the Brewers on. If you join the Barker's club your 10th stay is free, and it's free to join the club.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank ilovetraveling25
Mandan, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

alright well first of all barkers island was the only hotel that would take in my family after econo logde messed up our reservations! plus they matched the price of the other hotel just so we could have a place to stay...everyone there was very nice...and the island was just amazing...so many things to do....me and my sister took one of the surreys and traveled all along the barkers island...it was absoulutely amazing i think it is one of the best hotels i have EVER stayed at! :)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank sammii911
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

We travel to Duluth once a year. I've been going since childhood, and never stayed here. Now I know why. The hotel smells as you enter the back side door. There are many cosmetic repairs needed on the outside, as well as updates needed inside. We brought our dog, so we had a "pet" room. I've stayed in many "pet" rooms, but never this bad. Someone had a cat that sprayed, and it smelled repulsive. The room wasn't the cleanest either. Try Proctor MN if the Canal Park Duluth rates are too high.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2010

For the money I paid ($160 per night) I did not get what I paid for. The "non-smoking" room smelled like cigarrette smoke big time. The maid did not vacuum the carpet and it was clearly dirty from the previous occupants. Nor did she clean the shower after our first night. When we complained to the management, they blew us off....3 times. Finally they sent someone to vacuum and they adjusted our bill at the end of the day. Very inconvenient. This placed needs to be re-vitalized. We won't ever stay here again.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
rochester, mn
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

My husband and I came to the Duluth area for our honeymoon. After doing some (not as much as I should have done) research, we decided to stay at the barkers island inn. When we drove up we were slightly impressed, it was on a little island next to a historic boat, there were people walking up and down the shore line. When we pulled into the hotel we noticed that the hotel from the outside seemed a little dated (to be kind), but we were optimistic at this time. When we came into the lobby area we were greeted by the front desk person and he was very kind and accomadating. The lobby area was by far the best part of the hotel. When we got our keys we had to by the pool and then through double doors that honestly were like restaurant doors that swung back and forth and they were nasty doors that needed to be replaced. Once we went through those doors we started down the first hallway, this is where the smells really started. It was very musty, moldy and smoky smelling and very dark, the lights should be greatly updated and brightened but then you would see the gross carpet. going past a bunch of rooms we went through, get this, another door but this one had a door knob handle (these doors were so random) and walked down another smelly and dark hallway until we got to our room. When we walked in, we felt like we were walking into the 1970's (a very moldy and dirty 1970's). There was an odd stain on the wall next to the picture, bed was horribly uncomfortable, there was dust on many things, the bathroom had mold in the shower and on the shower curtain and all the of furniture was not intended for adults greater than 5 ft tall. It was all so short it hurt our back to wash our face. The bedspread had cigarette burns and the room was so smelly and musty. Our view was not that impressive and we saw just a little bit of lake superior. So we went immediately to the front desk and requested (and hoped) for a better room. The staff was very accomodating and did give us a differernt room; unfortunately this one was absolutely no different. Wait, this one had a lovely scene of about 50 paint buckets and the wall-lovely. By the way, we had to go through yet another weird random door to get to this room. We went back to the front desk and told them that we would not be spending our second night there. The manager came out and asked what the problem was and we explained. She said that she would gladly upgrade us to a suite and to take a look at it. We did go and look at it and it was bigger, a little nicer, but the bed was a queen size. The plus side was the bathroom, but by that time we felt bad enough going through the rooms we had already went through and chalked it up to never going back there again. It really felt like the movie "The Shining"/70's retro/hobo's land. I would never, never, never recommend this to anyone. We stayed at the Radisson the next night and were highly impressed. Even if it's a few bucks more; in this situation do not be cheap! Get the better place!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jacquie1999
Also consider these accommodations in or near Superior
BEST WESTERN Bridgeview Hotel
Park Point Marina Inn
Park Point Marina Inn
#2 of 33 in Duluth
Comfort Suites Canal Park

Been to Barkers Island Inn? Share your experiences!