Barkers Island Inn
$110
BestWestern.com
$116
Hotels.com
Super 8 Superior WI(Superior)(Great Value!)
$72
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfree breakfastsalad barsecond floorpool and hot tubplay cardsshort drive to downtownnice view of the marinanice big pooldefiantly stay here againthe entire pool areagreat areaolder hotelsan upgradetwin portsexcellent customer servicebed was very comfortablea nice place to stay
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed last night at Barkers Island Inn - the annual trek to Duluth, MN on Labor Day weekend. The big thing I like is the off the beaten path (from busy Canal Street in Duluth) and that the Inn is on an island so you have water to look at no matter what side of the hotel your room in located. The front desk people were very friendly. I had read other reviews of everything being outdated and was concerned. I asked for a room that had updated beds as I wanted a good night's sleep. The room was very clean and looked nice; it was a basic room with a small refrigerator and microwave (which is a good feature). Sadly, though, the "new" mattresses (if they are new) were cheap mattresses as you could feel every spring. The TV is an older, large back type TV; not a flat screen. The bathroom is spacious and nice, with a large area to put your items. Nice hair dryer unit is in the bathroom and they provide travel sized shampoo, conditioner, body and face soaps. The AC unit worked well (a plus on a hot day). This morning as I write this review I can hear the neighbor's TV very easily. Good thing I slept my hours already. Seems the walls are thin. Overall, not a bad place but the main reason I give this a 3 star rating is because of the beds.

Also, they have an onsight restaurant (typical American cuisine) that we did not try. The menu looked good though.

We did not try the pool area so I cannot write about that.

Room Tip: I asked for a room on top floor away from the elevator. With the thinness of the walls, I would recommend you do the same.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lynn S
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

The rooms where out dated and everything was kinda off to the side.Pool area was neat but the hotub was closed.It had a sauna and showers.They had a little arcade.There was a bar and restaraunt there and looked good.We didn't eat there.I like the lobby theme.There is like mounts of deer and other creatures.They had a nice fire pit outside and a view of Lake Superior.Nice stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed August 25, 2013

The Barker island Inn was a great location! The bay and marina view were superb and the staff was exceptional. The place needs to have the wallpaper put back onto the walls and the cleaning service to be retrained. No major problems but the old plastic liner was still in the ice bucket when we checked in and the in room coffee was only some decaf which we never drink. Had to go to the front desk to get these glitches fixed but they did so without a problem. Also, the jacuzzi was a comfortable temp but the jet action is very inadequate. We didn't try out the pool. The food was wonderful and the drink specials in the lounge were great. We definitely noticed the noise once the motel started to fill up with guests. However, I would go back here again.

Room Tip: Stayed in a room far enough away from the main and pool area to not hear noise from the bar or front door.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I recently stayed at Barkers Island Inn on Lake Superior because it was the lease expensive hotel I could find in the area. I was pleasantly surprised to find this hotel right on a marina, with a lovely patio restaurant. The staff were very friendly and helpful despite it being a very busy time of year. It was obvious that the rooms were well used, the carpet, the sheets and blankets. Everything was clean, just well used. For this reason I probably won't return, but for others to whom this is not a serious consideration I would say this is a great place to spend some time by the water and there is lots of space for children to play around the grounds.

Room Tip: Rooms at the south end of the hotel have their own entrance and are near the marina.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Lightheart33345
Reviewed August 17, 2013

The Barker's Island Inn is located literally on a an island near the shore of Lake Superior, in a dramatically beautiful location. Unfortunately, the hotel could use a bit more attention to housekeeping. Our room featured quite a few crumbs on the sheets and pillowcases, empty tiny shampoo bottles, and an empty Kleenex box. The Do Not Disturb sign was also missing, meaning we were awakened early by housekeeping. The staff was very courteous and changed the sheets immediately. Our stay included breakfast in the hotel restaurant, which was tasty, with quick, friendly service. Overall, the property looks quite dated, and the problem with the sheets concerned me, so I hesitate to recommend this hotel despite the great staff.

• Stayed: August 2013