“Adequate home away from home”

Super 8 Sun Prairie/Madison E
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sun Prairie
Reviewed October 11, 2013

There are not too many choices of motels in Sun Prairie. After staying in the Water Tower Inn for a short time, I decided to try the Super 8. The former is actually a dorm for the ATI trucking school. They rent rooms as a motel when they have the vacancy. Since I got booted every other week, I needed a more permanent place to live while I contracted at the QBE Insurance company. I seemed to get the boot from the Super 8 pretty frequently too because of the conventions held in the Madison area. The motel was consistently favorable for me. The rooms were always clean and room service was available every morning. The staff grew to know me during my 8 month tenure with QBE. My only complaints were of the constantly failing door cards and the minimal cable television offerings. Time Warner is their provider and recently dropped several analog channels. Perhaps the motel needs to get better TV's that support digital programming. The wifi was above average with the 4 hotspots available. I could view video pretty much when I wanted. I have stayed in some pretty dismal motels in my life, but this one seems to suit me pretty well.
Lastly, the showers were good. I never had a cold shower and the pressure was good. They offered me a weekly rate of 291 a week, which is very reasonable by any estimate. A tip if you stay there, get a room facing Emerald Terrace. These are newer rooms with better AC units. You can set them so they fan stays on when the compressor turns off. The ones in the other rooms will jar me awake when the fans turn off. I need constant room noise to stay asleep.

Room Tip: See the AC tip.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Couldn't find lodging in Madison because of a convention. This hotel is not that much out of the way. About what I would expect of a budget hotel. It was clean and quiet. Breakfast was not good. Went down the road to McDonalds for better breakfast choices.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 5, 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I recommend this place, it was fine. Quality about as good as expected. Our room was quite a hike to get to, but we came late in the evening so that's fine.

One odd thing: Our keys didn't work the first time, and the desk attendant said it was because my car transponder could have erased them. That seems strange; I've never ever had that happen anywhere else. So just be careful about that, I guess.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Madison East
Super 8 Windsor/Madison North
GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Madison
La Quinta Inn & Suites Madison American Center

Been to Super 8 Sun Prairie/Madison E? Share your experiences!