“SPOT ON!”

Salvatore's Tomato Pies
Ranked #1 of 77 Restaurants in Sun Prairie
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: Check out our new location in Downtown Sun Prairie at the corner of King and Main. Newly expanded menu with entrees, full bar with craft cocktails, in a restored 116 year old building. We are proud to source most of our ingredients from local sources including artisan cheesemakers, wisconsin dairy farmers, family farms, and producers. We have a scratch kitchen and bake our pies in a 6000 lb brick hearth oven.
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Okay, it took pulling some teeth to get there (I don't own a car), but boy-oh-boy-oh, was it WORTH THE TRIP! Lil confusion on a Sunday evening about who should unlock the door (we arrived @ 5pm), so we stood a few minutes. Then we went into a nicely appointed dining room, considering the generic building/space. The server who greeted us was immediately a put off to me...seemed far to jaunty and I worried she would be overbearing. Wrong, she was delightful. She was a cheery personality, but knew exactly when to walk away. She was informed and friendly in the end :)

As for the ZA! Oh the ZA! I REALLY liked this stuff and was pleased as punch with what can look pricey on the menu. My buddy isn't a vegetable eater (remember, no car!) so we went for the "Big Fat Uncle Tony"(?)...bacon, pepperoni, sausage. Now I've had this kinda meat lover thing before at other places and hated it. At Salvatore's...LOVED IT!!! They know everything from the bottom up and execute it well!
Crust: Top notch! Crisp bottom, still tender and you could notice the difference in the puffy burned bubbles around the edges! Those were real chewy...a sign of getting the dough just right when you can notice how the heat and resulting stretching really changed the consistency in only those spots. I take as a sign of a well executed recipe.
Cheese: Real whole milk mozz and not too much, not too little, but just right!
Toppings: Top of the trade. Jordandal sausage I believe, other local items as well. And NOT TOO MUCH! load a pizza with too much bacon and soon you have bacon on crust as opposed to pizza. Not here! I liked this pizza, first and foremost, because of this balance.
Sauce: I would drink it if given the opportunity.

Not the cheapest, but once you bite in you will know why. Go, eat and be satisfied.

There are newer reviews for Salvatore's Tomato Pies

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Say good-by to the heavily breaded, generic American pizza. These delicious pies have a flavorful crispy crust, fresh locally-sourced toppings (including meat and cheese) and imaginative combinations. Think wine-poached figs, gorgonzola and mozzerella cheeses and crispy bacon. Unfortunately we arrived too late for this option, but loved the chicken pesto with carmelized onion. (Traditionalists can choose their own toppings) The 16" pizza was plenty for 3 adults. Great wine and beer selections too.

One of the owners is a professional pastry chef - take some pizza leftovers home so you have room for sensational desserts!

Staff was friendly and engaging, despite a very busy night. This is a small town treasure - we will definitely make it a regular stop!

1  Thank Btravelogue
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Cannolis, salads, pizza is and always has been great ! The little play area for kids is thoughtful. They play oldies 40's, 50's music, though I had just read in Isthmus they were playing classic rock. Stick to the oldies, we like that!

Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

After reading the restaurant's website and growing up on Delorenzo's tomato pies I had to give this place a try while I was in town visiting family. We ordered a pie with sausage and cheese and although it was a quality pizza with fresh ingredients and excellent home made sausage, the pies are not the same as a tomato pie from Jersey. The crust is a little too thick and chewy and the sauce is swirled on rather than blanketing over the cheese. If you want a great pizza give this place a try. If you want a great tomato pie, go to New Jersey.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

If it weren't for a friend recommending, I never would have noticed Salvatore's, but glad we did! A unique and different pizza joint in SP. It feels authentic. We went with a group of 6 adults and 1 child. 2 pies and a few salads fed us all. We ordered the Fat Uncle Tony which was basically every meat topping imaginable and the margharita pie. The Tony was a bit to much of an exploding meat bomb for me, but the guys loved it. The tom/basil was tasty, but I would have liked more basil. Service was friendly, wine selection not outstanding, but as expected. It's much smaller than I expected, probably 8 (?) tables with a little corner for the kids to color. Aestheticly, it looks like a local, family friendly and comfortable pizza joint. The interior decorating won't win any awards, but you'll come back for the 'za. By FAR my fav pizza joint in town.