“Excellent B&B”

Chanticleer Guest House
Ranked #5 of 15 Sturgeon Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Very beautiful setting with garden, nature all around and beautiful rooms. The room was big and comfortable with nice old furnitures. Possible to rest around the swimming pool: very positive! The owners are nice and helpful if you need something but let you live your life, which i appreciate. Sturgeon bay is a good location to explore door county and the road to the north villages (which are more worth visiting than sturgeon bay) is easy even at night. Gay friendly. We d' like to come back even if there is a long way from France!

• Stayed: August 2011

Reviewed August 20, 2011

There are no words for the beauty and peace of this experience. The pictures on their website cannot do it justice......you can't FEEL the overwhelming joy of stepping into this world and out of the hectic pace of the world left behind. Bryon and Darrin are genius at what they've created and very special people to engage with. Children are not allowed. Don't miss taking a stroll through the hiking trails they've created -- even my husband loved doing so although he has great difficulty walking. My husband also had great reservations about going to a B&B because he treasures his privacy. Well guess who wants to go back next week! BTW, do not miss the Blue Front Cafe in Sturgeon Bay.

Room Tip: There is no
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed here on our "Babymoon". We'd never been to Door County, and were looking for a comfortable B&B with charm, comfort, and a few extras. Overall, we were very happy with our stay. However, we'll likely look elsewhere on our next trip to Door County.

The Good: The property itself is gorgeous. We stayed in the Loft Room, which we really liked. It was spacious and cute. The room was very clean, and the guest house in general was very quiet. We loved the porch outside as well. Water pressure in the shower was great. I liked that breakfast was delivered to the room each morning. In addition to the room, we took advantage of a few extras. The pool is a great bonus, and we also walked their trail around the grounds (it's about a 15 minute walk). The chocolate chip cookies were delicious and one of my favorite things about the Chanticleer. I certainly ate more than my fair share, but hey, I was eating for two!

The "Could Be Better": Check-in was easy, although not all that friendly. We arrived around 5pm and called the innkeeper as instructed by their sign. A gentleman led us to our room, and basically said "Here it is. Don't ask me any questions because I won't know the answer." I'm guessing he was filling in, but it wasn't exactly the reception we had hoped for. Breakfast wasn't explained (though we figured it out by the card left on the dresser), and we were clueless about checkout procedures. The breakfast itself left much to be desired. One morning it consisted of bread and watery yogurt with what appeared to be canned pears and peaches. The next day it was blueberry muffins and some sort of smashed strawberries with cream. Not bad, but not what I'd hoped for from a nice B&B. My other complaint was the hard bed. I know everyone has their preferences for mattresses, but I found theirs to be particularly hard (even though the sheets were very nice). Finally, I wish we had been more familiar with Door County as we would have realized when booking that their location isn't ideal. It's a bit of a drive away from the quaint towns and sights of Door County, but not terrible. Next time we'll stay somewhere closer to Ephraim or Sister Bay.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. There was room for improvement, but we certainly can't complain about a nice, relaxing weekend away!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kari C
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We just returned from a 2 nite stay in the Stables suite. It was located in the guest barn. The room was so spacious and spotlessly clean. We ate breakfast every morning on our patio overlooking a beautiful spot of nature. The innkeepers are so welcoming and accommodating.

We look forward to coming back here every year for our anniversary. It was the most wonderful getaway and the Chanticleer helped to make it that way.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband and I recently returned from the Chanticleer after a three night anniversary stay. We had the most relaxing time. We picked the chanticleer for a few reasons....we wanted a private bath and like the idea of breakfast delivered to the door instead of eating all together. We stayed in one of the rooms in the barn. The room was beautiful. I loved the coziness of the room and the natural decor versus a Victorian room at other b and bs. The room was large and spacious enough to enjoy spending time in. There is a wonderful two person jetted tub and a private balcony.

Breakfast was great. It was not over done and was kept simple. I especially loved that a pot of coffee is delivered to your roomin the morning with the breakfast. It was so relaxing to enjoy the breakfast sitting quietly in the room, sitting on the balcony, or getting ready for the day.

Another great thing about the chanticleer is the small pool. We were in door county during a very hot time and it was nice having the pool to cool off which is something other b and bs might not have.

The ground of the b and b are beautiful and full of trails as they own I believe 80 acres. One could walk, sit in the gazebo, or use one of the bikes for the guests.

Of course, my husband and I also enjoyed warm chocolate chip cookies every afternoon. It was a nice treat as we came back from the day to get ready for the evening.

We did not have a lot of interaction with the owners but when we did, they were very nice. We mentioned that we were there for our anniversary and asked if he could help make dinner reservations. He helped us pick the most amazing restaurant and pick a time so that we would be there during the sunset. He called, made the reservation, and we were put at a beautiful window table.

The chanticleer is a bit far from some of the touristy areas of door county but for this trip, it worked out well as we really looked for peace and quiet.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2011

My husband and I came to Chanticleer to celebrate our one year anniversary, and as a break from work/graduate school. We wanted a quiet, picturesque, and comfortable B&B, and that is exactly what we got! I highly recommend Chanticleer, and will definitely stay there again on our next trip to Door County. The farm is beautiful, and the sheep are very sweet, you can say Hi if you want! There are many places to find a quiet place to read on the grounds, and even when other guests are staying at the Chanticleer, you still feel like you have the whole place to yourself. It is at the base of the peninsula in Sturgeon Bay, which puts you 2 miles away from downtown Sturgeon Bay w/ shops, restaurants, etc. You are about a 20-30 minute drive from some of the other towns up the coast, and the driving is very easy.

We stayed in the Meadows Suite, very spacious, comfortable, and quite unique since you are staying in the top floor of the barn. The continental breakfasts were tasty, and enough to get you up and going to enjoy Door County. We had scones and fruit preserves one morning, and eggs and toast another, so there is definitely variety.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2011

For our 9th wedding anniversary, we went away to Chanticleer Guest House. It's a private Bed and Breakfast. We stayed in the Grand Suite. Each Suite is different. We loved the space! It was very nice It has a big whirlpool, huge shower, big bed and wonderful fireplace. Very clean! The bed was very comfortable to sleep in .Overall, it was great. We enjoyed the quiet time with the kids! Breakfast is brought to the room in a big basket. They gave you plenty to eat in the breakfast provided. The outside was beautiful too! They have a farmette with sheep and chickens. So, it was nice to take a walk in the beautiful area. We couldn't walk the trails due to the snow. Also, my husband wanted to suprise me with a gift for our anniversary, the inn keepers made sure the gift got there before we did and had it ready for me! What a nice surprse!!

Here are what we found to be the down sides. There is no microwave in the room. So we couldn't heat up coffee or our dinner. Also, the TV is only broadcast, not cable or satillite, so don't expect to watch much TV. Also the Internet is really slow, so don't expect to get much online work time done. The breakfast is what they give you. You don't have any choices. So if you are craving something specific, you don't have a menu. :)

Also, when you get there, it's hard to find the inn keeper. You have to go to the main desk and phone them. Which means if you simply had a question, there was no one around. We did on the second day call and ask if there was a way we could get coffee in our room, since that is all my husband drinks. They ended up bring us a coffee maker and setting it up. Which we felt was very nice of them to do.

Also, our room had a real wood fireplace, the other rooms had gas. Because we had a real wood fireplace, we ran out of wood in the middle of the night and had to go get it ourselves. We didn't mind, we do the same thing at home, BUT when we got over to the wood shed, there was dog poo all over the walk way, which made it difficult to walk with wood in our hands. :) They may want to clean up after the animal.

Overall I felt the visit was a nice break from our hectic schedule. I liked the privacy. I liked the decoration of the rooms. The cleanliness and the breakfasts. I hope we can go back when the weather is nice. I would love to visit and stay in the barn!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
#4 of 17 in Sturgeon Bay
Homestead Suites
Homestead Suites
#3 of 10 in Fish Creek

Been to Chanticleer Guest House? Share your experiences!