“Food was great, but service was another story”
Review of Town Hall Bakery

Town Hall Bakery
Ranked #2 of 2 Bakeries in Sturgeon Bay
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
“Food was great, but service was another story”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

First of all, everyone needs to know that Jacksonport is the actual location of this bakery/cafe/restaurant. Other reviews have been written listing Sturgeon Bay as the location. Secondly, I think Town Hall is doing themselves a disservice by stating they are a "bakery & cafe." They are a restaurant with very creative and tasty breakfast and lunch entree's and just happen to also have a small selection of bakery items (and other touristy knick-nacks to sell).

Now to the review. My wife and I happened into this place for a late (10:00) breakfast on a Sunday morning. The place was about three-fourths full so I wouldn't exactly call them busy. We sat down and waited over 10 minutes to be acknowledged. We asked for coffee and were told it was "self-serve" and to help ourselves at the counter. Water was also self-serve. We were fine with that. The menu included a nice selection of a wide variety of breakfast items with clever names to them. The waitress did not tell us there were any "specials of the day" and we found out by overhearing another waitress much later that there were. Our loss, they sounded great but we had already ordered. Oh, and by the way, you have to say you want toast. It comes with your meal but unless you say you want it, you don't get it. Something about too much wasted toast.

Unfortunately, nearly 40 minutes later, with the cafe now only one-fourth full, our breakfast had still not arrived, yet the manager (owner?) and one of the waitresses proceded to sit down with another couple to have breakfast with them! What?! When our meals did arrive (at 11:00), they were excellent; fresh, hot and nicely portioned, but the entire service experience turned us off.

Will I recommend Town Hall Bakery & Cafe? Sure, hoping that our experience was an isolated one and not a recurring issue.

• Visited August 2012

Fish Creek, Wisconsin
“Breakfast in an eclectic atmosphere.”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

This is my "Special Breakfast" place in Door County. As mentioned by another reviewer, it is not in or near Sturgeon Bay. It is in Jacksonport. It is a bakery, however, you will not find shelves of bakery for sale. While the bakery items are limited. Their scones and pecan sticky buns are favorites.
The breakfast plates are most creative, with imaginative names, as Colonel Mustard in the White House, The Frida Kahlo, and The Happy Flappy, to name a few. The ingredients, mostly organic and local, are impressive. The presentation is over the top, because of artfully placed and sliced fruit, 4-6 types, and edible flowers accompany your breakfast entree. This is why it becomes a "Special Breakfast." It still is special after having been here over 20 times in the last 10 years.
The atmosphere is really unique, walls of paintings, and antiques, set in a Town Hall building possibly 100 years old or more.
I recommend having breakfast here, as long as you are not in a rush. And, don't mind serving your own coffee.

Madison, Wisconsin
“Perfect find”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We just happened to drive by this place on our way to Cave Point just to grab a little something to eat. We got an omelette with an absolutely excellent feta mix and such fresh vegetables. It came with a fruit side and the presentation was amazing. We went back the next day and had lunch. It wasn't as amazing as breakfast the previous day but it was still a great meal. We will definately be back next time we're up and will be recommending this place to anybody we know going to the area.

Genoa City, Wisconsin
“What a surprise!”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Wanted a light lunch before going to see Cave Point county park. This was the perfect place. We were able to split a sandwich and my husband added the soup. It was delicious. Don't forget to leave a message on the Daily Doily, Ed Asner did.

1 Thank GCWItraveler
“Great breakfast......some of the best I've had.........EVER!”
Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

My friend I was visiting insisted that we go to the Town Hall for breakfast. She has great taste so I was happy to oblige. I had no idea what I was in for. Farm Fresh eggs and produce! I love breakfast but rarely go out for it since it usually is made with liquid eggs in a carton produced by Sysco. Usually eggs are cooked in an oil spray and I am a firm believer in butter. Eggs and butter are meant to go together. The Town Hall Bakery IS the real deal. The ambiance is very interesting. It does take a little longer to get your meal so do not go if your in a hurry. Lots of antiques and misc items to look at in case you get bored.

1 Thank 2paddle