“Great view, good food and drinks, awesome road”

Donny's Glidden Lodge
Ranked #1 of 86 Restaurants in Sturgeon Bay
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Round Lake, Illinois
“Great view, good food and drinks, awesome road”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

My husband and I decided to try Donny's Glidden Lodge for a nice, quiet, intimate dinner that was a little more upscale than burgers.

You definitely need reservations!

Grabbed a drink at the bar and made friends with the bartender until our table was ready. The view from our table was beautiful.

Hubby ordered a lamb chop and polish dumpling and I ordered the 6-oz filet "gliddenized" with a baked potato. Dinner comes with a trip to the salad bar which includes 2 soup choices.

He ordered his lamb medium-rare and I ordered my steak medium. The first time out, our food was overcooked with no pink in either meal. Typically we do not complain, but this time we did because they were definitely well done. Within a few minutes, our food was re-done and cooked perfectly.

With tasty food and a great view, I highly recommend this place.

Now, as for the awesome road, you have to understand car guys. And driving in Door County is not exactly "curvy" by any stretch of the imagination. However, on the way back from Donny's, the road was AWESOME! Super curvy and lots of fun... You know... For all you other car enthusiasts. :)

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Casandra S

Chicago, Illinois
“Mixed opinion”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

My husband and I first went to Donny’s on the Monday night we arrived in town. It was such a great atmosphere and we received such nice service we decided to come back 4 nights later to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We met with the hostess and she helped us pick out the table and time we wanted for our special occasion.

The restaurant has great views of the lake, the soup and salad bar are tremendous and the food is very good. They are very accommodating about giving you double portions of veggies instead of a starch as a side.

Our second visit was nice but disappointing as far as our “special occasion” celebration. I called two hours in advance on the day to confirm our reservation and table. Everything was set. We arrived 15 minutes EARLY to be told another couple was expecting to sit at the same table. To me this was completely unacceptable after we reserved the table 4 days in advance. We ended up still getting the table but a little damper was put on the evening as far as I was concerned. The other slight was at the end of the meal. We were NOT looking for a free dessert but ANYWHERE you go in Chicago if you tell them you are celebrating something there is ALWAYS something that is done. Even a tiny cookie would have sufficed. Just something to make the evening feel special. Nothing was done - - we were asked if we wanted to see the dessert menu same as the first visit. Maybe Wisconsin doesn’t acknowledge special events in the same way.

Anyway, it’s a nice place - - not sure we’d go back on our next visit to Door County.

• Visited August 2014
3 Thank AKJChicago
Clarkston, Michigan
“Amazing food & staff”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

My wife and I stopped in without reservations and although they were booked for the night, the staff was able to work us in quickly. Service and drinks were excellent, the food was amazing. We never felt we were an extra burden by the staff, just the opposite…made us feel like we were old friends who just popped in. Next time we will make reservation but highly recommend this place. The views out the window are wonderful.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank BPTTravelers
United States
“Resting on its past laurels”
Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

People, including our party of four, come for the tranquil setting along Lake Michigan. Soup and salad bar are small bit good. However, entrees are just average. If you want a refill of your soda pop, be prepared to pay for it, which is really tacky given what they charge for food. When a member of our group complained about this to the manager, he just shrugged. Not exactly a concerned response. We'll dine elsewhere on our next trip to Door County.

3 Thank CrossgarDown
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Donny's doesn't disappoint - still excellent”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We were here in 2012 and came two or three times then because the service and food were so excellent. This time we chose Wednesday night to come back because they serve German food as the special. Oh my gosh. It was delicious. I had tenderloin tips and my husband had the sausage platter. The service, atmosphere, food, view, are all wonderful. Soft playing music in the background...what a nice change.

This is one of our very favorite restaurants in Door County. Reservations are recommended.

• Visited July 2014