“Just What We Expected- Perfect!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Holiday Music Motel
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Sturgeon Bay
GreenLeadersBronze level
st paul
“Just What We Expected- Perfect!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is a sweet motel in a great location, right downtown Sturgeon Bay, almost on the waterfront, very central to all that the area offers. Our room was very clean, as was the entire motel, and we loved the retro decor throughout.
The staff was very friendly, pleasant and accomodating. We met sevl. other travelers and enjoyed pleasant chit-chat over breakfast in the motel's dining area both mornings of our stay. This is definitely NOT a fancy, luxury spot, but it is way nicer than a Super 8- - . Our room was roomy, v. clean and tidy, with a newer bed/mattress, comfy bed and linens, nice bath and shower. We opted for this spot vs. a Bed & Breakfast, (our typical plan), and we are glad for our choice! Overall, a great location, a neat and tidy room, at a very reasonable price; a very pleasant and cordial atmostphere, too- - We'd return here, for sure!

Room Tip: We stayed in the large corner room, on 2nd level- it was v. comfy and roomy, nice to have two windo...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Naples, Florida, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

Ever had the experience of being around people who truly take pride in what they do? That's the best way I can think of to describe my stay at the Holiday Music Motel.

The manager and owner could not have been nicer. You can tell that they consider guests of the motel to be guests in their own home. For example, they spent all sorts of time chatting with me about my hometown, the history of their town and their hotel, and even introduced me to friends of theirs who had dropped by before heading out for the evening. I learned from our conversations that all of the (very, very cool) retro decor in the rooms and common areas was hand-selected by the manager, melaniejane. And while the furnishings are retro, the bedding is up to date and comfortable, the flat-screen tv has about 100 cable channels available, and the in-room refrigerator/freezer provides another modern amenity.

These folks are also fanatics about cleanliness. That room was immaculate! This was the first time in my extensive travels that I felt compelled to track down a hotel housekeeper to tell her how much I appreciated her obvious commitment to detail.

The continental breakfast was far better than what one would expect from a much more expensive hotel, with a wide variety of pastries, fruit, cereal, etc. (The donuts were great.)

I must confess that, when reading the TripAdvisor reviews, I had my doubts about this place being the #1 hotel in Door County. I have no doubt about it anymore. My only regret was that I stayed but one night. I had reserved a room across the bay at the Bridgeport for the two following nights, and while that room was bigger, it was not nearly as clean, not nearly as cool, and didn't have a fraction of the charm or friendliness. Do yourself a favor and stay at the Holiday next time you are in Door County!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Manager at Holiday Music Motel, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
THANK YOU so much for your kind review!! We are so happy when others enjoy The Holiday as much as we do!!!! and, THANK YOU for your kind recognition of our stellar housekeeping staff!!! We are so fortunate that they are as caring and diligent as they are. They are truly the unsung heroes of The Holiday so it's wonderful their praises ARE sung! We are a "music" motel, afterall. :)

While I would LOVE to be able to take credit for choosing all of the retro decor, I feel it important to clarify: there is a lot of original furniture from 1952 here (the Simmons furniture in all of the rooms, the diner and a few other items that are part of the original Holiday in 1952 and THANKFULLY have been well cared for over the years by all of the previous owners.... even surviving a fire in 2007!) The loving restoration and updates were done after the fire with great care by pat mAcdonald (Creative Director), Anna Sacks and Christie Weber. The three of them were the core that really made the decisions as to the newer lighting fixtures, lobby furniture, front desk, beds and bedding, paint choices, etc. Other things have made their way here over time but most of what you see was lovingly (and thankfully) chosen by them or was already part of the original set-up. In addition to being the Creative Director overseeing all of the music happenings here at the motel, pAt continues to be the aesthetic arbiter and works hard to create an environment here that is special and engaging with modern comforts while holding true to its mid-century roots.

Being the on-site manager I sometimes get too much credit for what others have done so I really try to make sure that credit is given where credit is due. I didn't come into this project until later and I thank my lucky stars to be a part of it now and to be able to work so closely with pAt to help carry on the established tradition and creative vision!!!

Once again, THANK YOU for your glowing review and for your shared love of The Holiday!
We look forward to having stay with again in the future!!!!

melaniejane
Stockton, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

My wife and I had a great trip to Door County. We stayed one night at the Holiday Music Motel and it was great. The Motel was in a great location to down town shops, bars and restraunts. The Motel staff was very friendly staff. The rooms were clean, affordable and good continental breakfast.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MicPat84
Anoka, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

Nice clean rooms, great a/c, nice continental breakfast with an old diner countertop, really neat.
Wonderful location by the Steel Bridge, very nice staff. Our families first time there, and it was a great beginning for our stay in Sturgeon Bay. We would definitely go back... :):)

Room Tip: Altough, there isn't a pool or fitness center. This lil hotel has it's niche. We found ver...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Carolyn K
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

This is an adorable hotel. And more than that, it's affordable and clean. Rooms are small as you would expect...like living in a 60s dollhouse. I dare you to take a chance on this hotel. You won't be disappointed. (The only thing I was disappointed about is that they ran out of coffee cups for purchase; I'm always looking for a good "weekend" coffee cup.)

I'm not sure I could stay here a whole week because the bathrooms are so small and there's not a lot of room to move around (although my make up and lotions fit just fine behind the medicine cabinet). But there was a refrigerator, so if you did stay awhile, there is a place for your beer. And I got the smallest room (a queen), so there are larger rooms I'm sure.

Breakfast had plenty to offer and the coffee was good. WiFi access was superb. I would stay here again. (I read in the room booklet they take dogs, though I didn't see any.)

Room Tip: I just chose a room on the first floor because there isn't an elevator.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tlackey
Washington, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

Continuing on our journey staying at unique places, this motel fit the bill nicely.
The young lady who checked us in was very upbeat and excited and told us about the orignal 50s furniture we would find in our room in this restored roadside motel. She also clued us in to some live music on the lawn later that evening.
Our room was neat and clean complete with vintage looking bathroom tile and sink and the breakfast room dining counter and retro vending machines down the hall were a bonus.
We walked just a block or two behind the motel and found ourselves on the downtown block which featured a handful of bars and restaurants open late for what appears to be a fairly sleepy little town.
We were offered bags to pick up after our dog if we needed them, but could not find a trash can or even an ashtray outside the motel and had to walk to the place across the street to dispose of waste.
We stayed on the main floor (dog friendly) and we could hear footsteps from the room above, but had a quiet night's sleep and after partaking of the continental breakfast we were on our way.

Room Tip: First floor near breakfast room can be loud if people don't mind the "quiet please" si...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

Okay, so usually I'm more of a Hampton Inn type person, but based on other reviews, decided to give this place a shot as their rates were very reasonable. Wow..what a treat. Kind of a quirky offbeat place...loved the tinsel tree and instruments in the lobby..loved the clean and well-kept retro furniture. The bed was comfortable. The linens were fresh and clean, On our second day there, we came back from sight-seeing and the room was tidied up nicely. Staff were all friendly and helpful. The first night that we were there there was free musical entertainment which was very enjoyable...nice way to unwind after a long day of driving. I was worried about noise from pets and other patrons, but it was very quiet at night. The air conditioner made a bit of noise, but it worked well and didn't have to run long. Kitchenette was stocked with coffee and juice & milk and various breakfast items like cereal and oatmeal. Definitely, I would stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
#3 of 7 in Egg Harbor
The Landing Resort
The Landing Resort
#4 of 7 in Egg Harbor

Been to Holiday Music Motel? Share your experiences!