“Comfortable and fun place to stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sturgeon Bay
Stone Harbor Resort
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Sturgeon Bay
Boston, Massachusetts
“Comfortable and fun place to stay”
Reviewed August 13, 2006

We enjoyed our 4 night stay at the Stone Harbor Resort in August 2006. We had a huge suite (at least 800 square feet) with a full kitchen. Everything was clean and well maintained. The hotel has two swimming pools (indoor and outdoor) and nice bar and restaurant.

We would stay there again.

• Liked — Comfortable and well-maintained room
  • Disliked — Television set on the wall-- like a hospital room.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank MB747

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Madison, WI
Reviewed July 26, 2006

My family and I stayed at Stone Harbor the weekend of July 22nd. The property itself is very nice; beautiful furnishings, right on the waterfront, two nice pools, etc. This was all made null and void by the absolute incompetence of the people they had working there, especially in the restaraunt.

My kids and I had lunch in the restaurant the first day we were there. We waited nearly an hour for a salad and a couple of kids meals. Once the food finally arrived, the order was incorrect; took another 15 minutes to get it corrected. Half-way through my salad, our waiter dropped off a basket of bread -- no butter. I had to swipe some from another table.

That night when I had drinks with some friends on the patio outside the bar, the service was even more deplorable. No one wanted to take our order and, when we finally did get service, our waitress was incredibly rude. How such a nice facility could have such unprofessional employees was a mystery to my husband and me. This has the potential to be a top-notch resort, but is a long way from being that now.

• Liked — Nice furnishings, views
  • Disliked — Service
  • Tips/Secrets — There have to be better places in the Sturgeon Bay area. Huge waste of a nice facility.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank AmyfromMadison
Chicago
Reviewed July 5, 2006

My husband and I just stayed at Stone Harbor over the 4th of July holiday weekend, and had a great stay. We had booked a regular hotel room, but upon check-in found we had bees on our balcony (not good), long story short, the manager upgraded us to a deluxe one bedroom suite for the same price as the hotel room! The suite was quite beautiful, full kitchen, living room, fireplace, king sized bed and whirlpool in the bedroom. The location right off the water is excellent and within walking distance to downtown Sturgeon Bay shops. We saw some beautiful sunsets. We did eat in the restaurant several times, and the food was always very good, but I did feel the restaurant was very understaffed, they were always apologizing for slow service (could have been people were off for the holiday?). Besides the restaurant, there is a bar that sometimes has live entertainment, and there are nice indoor and outdoor pools, and a small exercise room. We would stay at Stone Harbor again in a heartbeat!

3 Thank DonnaW
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 3, 2006

We have been staying at this hotel every summer for the past 7 years. For the most part the overall experince has been o.k but has been deteriating evry year. This year it hit rock bottom! When we checked into our premium room there was a huge black stain on the carpet which lookd as a german shepard had given birth to a litter of puppies. The srevice was non existent.... we sat in the outside bar area for 20 plus minutes just to get a server. Once waited on the food took for ever and then we got no silverware, water and the order was incorrect. They were supposed to have a a band one of the afternoons and that never happened. They also would not serve roomservice after 8 p.m. It actually started to turn into a joke how inept this entire place was. They no longer have an ATM machine and we were forced to leave the premise to go to a nearby bank. Our actual rooms were not clean until after 4 p.m. Please understand that I don't have high expectation levels going to Door County in the summer months, but this place should be condemned. Quite frankly, I tried to be polite and point some things out to the staff, but no one seemed to give a damn. My wife and I decided to drive over to the Glidden Lodge for dinner and we've already made reservations for next year. Adios Stone Harbor.

Stayed June 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
wisconsin
Reviewed February 9, 2006

Stone Harbor is a lovely resort, with beautiful rooms. The indoor pool is fine, though nothing special. The fitness room is a joke. We did have a good dining experience. On a weekend in January, it was very quiet. However, they lost our reservation, and didn't make any effort to make ammends. We have a number of rooms blocked there for our wedding this summer, and I am very concerned as the front desk staff is very inept. Our guests have run into numerous problems. Communication with managers is poor . . . no call backs or email replies. Really a shame to have such a lovely facility run by morons!

• Stayed January 2006
6 Thank kmkaull1
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 2, 2006

Stone Harbor is our destination every Memorial Day weekend which is still in the off season. We have always experienced helpful staff, excellent food, and a wonderful environment. The setting is wonderful: Right on the water. It's central to everything Sturgeon Bay and Door County has to offer. We've tried other lodging in the area, but none can compare.I'm sure we'll be there Memorial Day 2006, too.

• Stayed May 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 27, 2005

Entire wedding party stayed there and all had a horrible experience.

1. Woefully understaffed
2. Kitchen was so understaffed they discontinued room service
3. Room keys were deactivated at midnight and guests were locked out... with nobody working the fron desk for extended periods of time (more than 30 minutes on one occassion)
4. Service in the bar took forever
5. Bartenders lost my credit card and were less concerned with where it went than they were with how the tab would be paid (someone left it at the fron desk the next morning, the clowns had handed it to the wrong customer)

No offers were made to compensate for all these troubles. I was too speechless and shocked to even bother to comlain, I wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible.

15 Thank ChiBrendan
#4 of 7 in Egg Harbor
Super 8 Sturgeon Bay
Super 8 Sturgeon Bay
#16 of 17 in Sturgeon Bay

Been to Stone Harbor Resort? Share your experiences!