“Authentic Mexican food, way north of the Border” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Litchfield, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Authentic Mexican food, way north of the Border”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

Girlfriend and I decided to try this place out after we took an unintentional detour in Sturgeon Bay. On our way to upper Door Country we got stuck in a snow storm. This place was about 3 blocks from the AmericInn where we stayed.It's easy to miss as it's only a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant crammed into in a strip mall between a tax place and some other random business.

I've found when it comes to ethnic food, these are usually the best places and when you walk in and see grandma and two toddlers playing in the dining room, you know you're getting the real deal. Though the decoration is pretty spartan and has more of a cafeteria feel than a real restaurant, it was warm and inviting and the staff was very friendly. The sounds of football (soccer) and Mariachi music coming from the kitchen certainly cement that idea.

I had the lunch special: two beef enchiladas, rice and beans and my girlfriend had the enchiladas with asada. Food was delivered hot and fresh, though I am assuming this was more due to the fact that we were literally, the only customers. Either way it was ever bit as authentic and delicious as I remember any Mexican food being.

The rice was soft, slightly sticky and smelled wonderfully of tomatoes, pepper and chile. The beans were moist and smooth without being runny or watery and had that amazing earthy flavor and texture that only comes from properly cooked beans - nothing from a can at this place! The enchiladas were the best part though. Nicely spiced, well cooked meat with that lovely bland but spicy corn tortilla and sauce. Washed down with a Jarritos, you could be forgiven for thinking you'd just stepped up to a Tijuana food stand, if not for the snow drifting up against the windows.

This place was awesome and it's definitely worth a visit, and probably a return visit from us on our way through to northern door county. Lunch for two people was $25 with tip and for this flavor at that price can't be beaten.

• Visited December 2013

Woodbury, Minnesota
“Rice and Beans Are Amazing!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

I was told by a friend that there was a little Mexican place on the outskirts of Sturgeon Bay that has some of the best rice and beans! It took us a while to find it and it was in a very lonely strip mall just as you are coming into town on the South side of the street. We pulled into an empty parking lot and found ourselves as the only customers in a small place called "El Sazon". ( The Seasoning) Oh well, I wrote it off as being a Monday night and we sat down and ordered anyway! My wife loves flautas and ordered these with rice and beans and I went with the special of a tomale and chicken taco, with rice and beans of course! While waiting for our order I chatted with Laura our server and she was glad to answer any questions we had about the place.
When our food arrived we were amazed! Our friend had not steered us wrong! We were impressed! The rice and beans were amazing! So were the entrees! I wanted some extra hot sauce and they brought me out some of the finest "Homemade" Habenero sauce I had ever had!
We were so impressed we went back for lunch the following Thursday! It was even better!
Muchisimas Gracias Laura y Dago por una comida muy autentica! Bruce and Pam, Woodbury, Mn.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Brucepamela
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Authentic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Not fancy, in fact, small. The food (enchiladas al pastor and chili relleno) were good and authentic. Unfortunately, the chips were from a bag. The refried beans, however, were great.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bgrif1953
Sturgeon Bay
“Used to recommend this place”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

I am a frequent customer of El Sazon because the food is authentic Mexican. I used to tell lots of friends about the restaurant because I want it to stay around but they've gone cheap on us. The serving of chips and salsa was maybe enough for one but was served to 3 of us. If you want more, you have to pay for them. I have never been impressed by the demeanor of our server. I am pretty sure he is the owner and his wife the cook. Typically he does not check back on how's the food or if we need anything and very slow to get our drinks, and forget about getting a bill. You end up going to the register and he adds it up so you don't get to review it to make sure it's correct. I hope he reads this review so that I can go back to recommending it.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Victoria B
Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
“Best Mexican food in Sturgeon Bay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

Located in small strip mall on the outside of Sturgeon Bay, El Sazon has consistently impressed me. There are other Mexican restaurants in the county, but this is without the typical Americanized versions of classic Mexican dishes. Dining area is not very large and does not have a lot of charm, it is very clean and neat and the food is very solid and the service from the owners is very good.

• Visited April 2013