“Nicely done”

Door County Maritime Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Door County Maritime Museum: Enjoy tales of bold ship captains, brave seaman, innovative shipbuilders, rugged fishermen, stalwart lighthouse keepers and much, much more--sea stories abound! The Door County Maritime Museum offers three unique visitor experiences. Its year-round 20,000 square foot flagship museum is located between the dowtown bridges on Sturgeon Bay's workking waterfront. It features four large exhibit galleries and the immaculately restored seagoing tugboat John Purves built in 1919. The iconic Cana Island Lighthouse, located Baileys Harbor, is a Door County treasure. The northern museum is a hidden gem featuring the classic wooden fish tug Hope. It is located in the historic fishing village of Gills Rock alongside the infamous "Death's Door" passage. Both are open seasonally.
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Nicely done”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Door County is surrounded by water so a Maritime Museum is a natural. Their displays are very interesting and educational. Definitely a good family place especially on a cool or rainy day when inside is preferable. Helps you get a good sense of the history of the area and its strong marine bonds.

Visited August 2013
Bob D, General Manager at Door County Maritime Museum, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Ahoy! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your visit...be sure to check out our smaller museum in the historic fishing village of Gills Rock when next you visit the Door Peninsula. Thanks much for the wonderful review!

Duluth Minnesota
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“The tug boat tour was the Highlight”
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

The museum was good but the highlight was the tour of the tug boat, they did an amazing restoration job and there is nothing like actually boarding a boat and seeing it from top to bottom.

Visited May 2014
Bob D, General Manager at Door County Maritime Museum, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Ahoy! Thanks for the wonderful review...we are thrilled that you so enjoyed your visit to the museum and tour of the historic tugboat, John Purves. The restoration of the vessel back to the way she looked in the 1960s when she sailed for the Roen Steamship Company here in Sturgeon Bay is indeed amazing. We concur that It is a rare treat to visit nearly every space, from engine room to wheelhouse, on this 1919 vintage tugboat. We are thrilled that we can offer this unique experience for our visitors! Thanks again for your review!
GREEN BAY, WI
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Kids are NOT welcome!”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

I brought my 4 year old son and his 2 cousins (4 yrs old and 2 yrs old) into the Maritime Museum to see the Pirate exhibit and also to go on board the docked boat. Immediately after walking through the door, an elderly woman behind the counter eyed up the children. I asked how much would it cost for entry into the museum and boat. The woman stated the kids are too young. I asked what the age limit was. She stated, "4". I informed her that some of the kids were 4. She then said, "well, the kids are not tall enough." I asked what the height requirement was. She literally held out her hand to a height that was just taller then my kids. There were no posted signs for height requirements. She then coldly said, "Plus, the kids need an attention span of at least 40 minutes." It was obvious my family was not welcome inside the museum or the boat. I have just moved to Sturgeon Bay and I will NEVER give any money to this organization. If you have children I recommend you stay far away from this place.

Visited May 2014
7 Thank NEIL D
Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to complete your review. I am very sorry to hear that you had a less than satisfying experience when you visited our maritime museum. We do our best use all input to spur continuous improvement.

We regret that you came away with the impression that children are not welcome at our museum. Please know that our goal is quite the contrary. We hope you discovered that our "Pirates--Ship to Shore" exhibit includes many aspects designed specifically for children, including a pirate dress up room and the pirate ship, Fortune. The Fortune includes all manner of hands on activities including cannons tied to a video game for a running gun battle with another sailing ship. And kids of all ages love to sound the whistle in the pilothouse of the steam ship Elba! I hope your son and his cousins enjoyed this very unique, kid-friendly, exhibit.
...and did you find our working periscope and Lyle gun rescue video game?

The age & height restriction for tours of our historic tugboat, John Purves, are purely for the safety of our young visitors. Because shipboard conditions (steep, narrow stairways, tripping hazards, etc.) can be a challenge, we ask that children taking the tour be at least 4 years of age and 42 inches in height. We are typically quite liberal in our enforcement but the staff is instructed to think "safety first." We would forever regret a severe injury to a young visitor while touring the tug. That said, I deeply regret that our front desk person on the day that you visited was less than welcoming. Rest assured that I will review the height/age requirements with all of our front desk staff and remind them that we have only once chance to make a good first impression.

Again, I apologize for your less than satisfying experience. We hope you will reconsider your harsh assessment based on this one visit. As you can tell from the many wonderful reviews we've received here on TripAdvisor, our visitors typically enjoy a rewarding experience and come away with great appreciation for the amazing maritime heritage of the Door Peninsula.

We sincerely hope to see you again in the future. Thanks again for your review. Onward and upward!
Milwaukee
94 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Must See in Door County”
Reviewed April 12, 2014

A special museum in Sturgeon Bay that offers a great showcase of the history surrounding the waters of the bay. It showcases shipbuilding, fishing and water commerce and is a perfect must see for the entire family. Onnce a year, the museum sponsors the Wooden Boat Show for power and sail and even row boats. They also have a build your own small craft competition that is as comical as entertaining to wjantch as the crafts are launched.

Visited June 2013
Ahoy! Thanks much for the wonderful review...thrilled to hear you enjoyed your visit. We look forward to seeing you at our annual Classic & Wooden Boat Festival on August 2nd & 3rd. We are busy with the event planning...check our website later this summer for details! Thanks again!
Cadiz, Spain
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Door county history”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I enjoyed looking at the history of the area ship building and exhibits. Pictures and model ships were detailed with a narrative that allowed me to step back in time. It appears they have occasional speakers that would have been interesting. I appreciated the size of the museum. I would recommend

Visited March 2014
Wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the maritime museum...hope to see you in the future for one of our special events...check our website periodically for all the details. Thanks for the great review!