“Sturgeon Bay May 2013” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Super 8 Sturgeon Bay

Super 8 Sturgeon Bay
Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Sturgeon Bay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Mpls
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

If you have ever dreamed of sleeping in an ash tray...this place is for you. The fact that they say it's non-smoking is a BIG joke. I actually woke up feeling sick to my stomach from the smell & had to crack open the window to get fresh air. It was also very noisy because one of the walls had the stairs on the other side. We even asked for a room that would be quieter so she picked that one for us. The TV remote didn't work until we discovered the cover for the battery was missing so you had to hold the battery in place to make it work. We even considered leaving & driving across WI at night in an ice storm. Not sure which would have been worse - the ice storm or the ash tray we stayed in.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Brian S
Orland Park, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed here for one night in late February while making a private retreat at the Shrine of Our Lady of Good Help in New Franken, WI. I decided to go to Sturgeon Bay to get away from the crowded Green Bay Hotels. I made the right decision.

The main reason I am ranking this hotel poor is that my door didn't lock from the outside (only locked from the inside with the double lock), and I didn't notice this until I came back from the pool. I even tried slamming it shut. After that I had to take my valuables along with me when I left the room. Pretty scary since I'm a woman. But overall, this was a good hotel choice for a one night stay. The clerk said they are undergoing renovation, so this may be a better hotel in the future. Here are my pros and cons:

PROS:

1.) Very nice pool and whirlpool - clean and spacious with showers and pool table. I had it all to myself on a Saturday night.
2.) Accomodating staff: I asked for a quiet room on the 2nd floor toward the back of the hotel, and was given one. I asked the clerk to not put any other guests around me since it wasn't full so it would be quiet, and she did this. I was quite pleased since I am a light sleeper. I also asked if I could use the pool to do some laps early in the morning and they opened it up for me.
3.) Nice spacious room - comfortable bed. I think it was pillowtop.
4.) One of the better working heaters I've had in a hotel room - didn't make weird hissing or clunking sounds like many do.
5.) Good price - $59.90 including tax for a AAA member.

CONS:
1.) Door to my room didn't lock from outside.
2.) Weird smell in hallways. It is a non-smoking hotel but it smelled like smoke. Once in room the smell was much less and didn't bother me.
3.) Carpets in hallway and room were sort of gross - wear slippers at all times.
4.) Dirty tables in breakfast room and no one wiping them down.
5.) No elevator - but not bad if you are healthy with not much luggage like me.

Overall, for the price this hotel was good for a quick one night stay. Hopefully with the renovations and a little more attention to cleanliness by the staff, this will be a better hotel.

Thanks for reading.

Room Tip: I liked the 2nd floor rooms facing the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality

Travelers are raving about these Sturgeon Bay hotels

Ixonia, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

The cleanliness of the hotel wasn't bad, could have been better, but there was a weird smell throughout the hotel. The pools temperature was good, but the amount of chemicals they use was ridiculous. It burned the hair off of my uncles legs and ruined one of my girlfriends rings, which she had worn in other pools and was fine. And when confronted about the issues the staff threw a fit and continued to deny any negligence on their behalf, when we had physical proof and had takin pictures of everything.

• Stayed December 2011
#3 of 7 in Egg Harbor
Holiday Music Motel
Holiday Music Motel
#1 of 17 in Sturgeon Bay

Been to Super 8 Sturgeon Bay? Share your experiences!