“Good food, excellent service, quiet atmosphere with nice music.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of John Martin's Restaurant - CLOSED

John Martin's Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Fusion, Wine Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Located in downtown Sturgeon Bay on Historic Third Avenue in beautiful Door County, Wisconsin. Choose to dine at the bar, at a bistro table along the sidewalk or relax on a cushioned chair in the cozy wood floor dining room. Large photos focusing on the history of Sturgeon Bay pepper the restaurant. The new chef has a strong bent on creativity and local sourcing. His philosophy for features is "Familiar enough to be comfortable but exotic enough to be exciting." The focus is on local and fresh (organic features, and appetizers, in season) is apparent, and when blended with the passion of the staff, it is becoming a foodie destination. We will work with any and all dietary restrictions or food allergies. Ask about "Chefs Choice" options. Call for reservations or a chef consultation for that special occasion.
Madison, Wisconsin
“Good food, excellent service, quiet atmosphere with nice music.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband and I stopped here for a mid afternoon Monday lunch on our way home from Egg Harbor. We found the food very good and the service was excellent. We enjoyed the decor and the music in the background; standards by Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, etc, played at a volume that allowed you to enjoy it, but still have a conversation. The restaurant was quiet since it was mid afternoon, so we had lots of attention and the sandwiches were nicely prepared and presented. The fries, too, met with our approval. We would happily return.

• Visited August 2013

Omaha, Nebraska
“Laughable”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

Nearly everything about our time here was bad. We were seated quickly thanks to a reservation. Our waitress came by three times before she even took our drink orders. She just kept stopping by to tell us she'd be right back to get them. The restaurant isn't large...12 tables or so. And there seemed to be plenty of wait staff. But it didn't seem like any of them could keep it together. It was an hour and 20 minutes from the time we sat down until we got our food. 80 minutes. It wasn't just our table or our waitress either. The table diagonal from us complained to his waitress because it was an hour and 15 minutes before they got their food. I will say that the mango and fig salad was phenomenal, but the main course was only so-so. I had the cherry meatloaf, garlic mashed potatoes and veggies. Veggies were bland and the meatloaf was average. NOTHING that should have taken an hour and 20 minutes. I found pieces of paper in my mashed potatoes (??).

When our waitress first brought out our food (again, after 80 minutes) she had the wrong dish for me. My husband's was correct, but mine wasn't even close. She seemed genuinely confused and it took them a good while to locate my food. Once we got our check there were several charges for things we didn't order (soup, dessert, etc). About $12 worth of items. It was just one thing after another.

I've eaten at a lot of world class restaurants in the world and a lot of tiny holes in the wall too and I've never had an experience quite like this one. I had hoped it was an off night or that our waitress was new, but I saw several reviews similar to our experience recently and our waitresses nametag had her name and then under it said "manager on duty". I definitely would not recommend.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank MissyThomas
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“Some food decent... some inedible... not enough servers... would not recommend.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

went with my mother and son at 430 on Monday. All of a sudden a rush of people came. Our server was very harried as she was supposed to get off at 5. We ordered our food and received it in a decent amount of time. Never saw the server again. My food did not contain the caramelized onions as stated on the menu. My mother's chips were inedible. Had to chace down the condiments (never saw the waitress).The traditional hamburger was good but overall would not recommend this place.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Coleen S
“Wonderful experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

We had a delicious, casual dinner and would definitely return. Must haves include tortilla soup and to die for carrot cake. Service is warm and friendly and prices are great!

Visited August 2013
Southern Pines, North Carolina
“average at best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

2 couples dined on a Tuesday night and the wait staff were overwhelmed by a near full house. Staff were friendly and working hard but could not keep up. Many tables went uncleared diminishing the atmosphere. Whitefish fair with somewhat greasy vegetables. Salads were very good.

• Visited July 2013