“Change of staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of John Martin's Restaurant - CLOSED

John Martin's Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Fusion, Wine Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Description: Located in downtown Sturgeon Bay on Historic Third Avenue in beautiful Door County, Wisconsin. Choose to dine at the bar, at a bistro table along the sidewalk or relax on a cushioned chair in the cozy wood floor dining room. Large photos focusing on the history of Sturgeon Bay pepper the restaurant. The new chef has a strong bent on creativity and local sourcing. His philosophy for features is "Familiar enough to be comfortable but exotic enough to be exciting." The focus is on local and fresh (organic features, and appetizers, in season) is apparent, and when blended with the passion of the staff, it is becoming a foodie destination. We will work with any and all dietary restrictions or food allergies. Ask about "Chefs Choice" options. Call for reservations or a chef consultation for that special occasion.
Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
“Change of staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

We have been long term fans, but the chef and manager have left. The food and ambiance are diminished. We went for a special dinner and were disappointed.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank cobafan

Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Visited due to Trip Advisor!!..;-))”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Went up to Sturgeon Bay to visit my sister. I used the search tool to find a new place to go. After looking at the top 4 places on the Trip Advisor site for Sturgeon Bay we chose John Martin's. We went early because it was Friday night and we were the only folks in the restaurant which made me a little nervous.. BUT.. it was fantastic!! Waitress was friendly and provided great service. My wife had chicken and I had the salmon (included excellent clam chowder). Both were excellent!! People filtered in as we enjoyed our drinks and waited on our meals. You could tell it was a mix of locals and others by the chats between customers and staff. Always a good sign. Clean place, nice decor. My sister may get more frequent visits now that we have another great place to dine..;-))) Thanks to previous reviews here on Trip Advisor..;-)))

• Visited March 2013
Elm Grove, WI
“Great food in a casual atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We visited John Martin's restaurant while staying at the Garden Gate B&B. In fact, we thought that it was so good on the first night that we returned there the following night. The food here is really very good with quite a selection and representative of what you would expect from a more upscale restaurant. This is a good place for an enjoyable meal in casual, relaxing surroundings.

Visited January 2013
Madison, Wisconsin
“Do not leave the Door unless you eat here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Today, my husband and I enjoyed a couples' weekend up in Door County. On our way back home, we stopped in St. Bay and walked around downtown and quite a ways down Memorial Dr., following the channel. On our way back to the downtown area, with the cold winter wind blowing at our face, we decided to grab a bite to eat for lunch. We tried to stop at Mel's Diner (first place we stumbled upon on our walk back), but they had closed at 12noon. On we walked and a waitress was setting out a placard with the daily specials at John Martin's. We were cold, hungry and needed to use the restroom, so we ventured in. The first thing you notice is how nicely the place is decorated and how clean it is. The resturant has a wonderful atmosphere! If I could suggest anything, it would be to take out a row of tables, add some overstuffed booths or some couches with low tables. On to the most important aspect...the food! Delicious! I had the mushroom and barley soup and chicken pesto sandwich and my husband had a cheese burger with fries...both were outstanding. And the coffee! YUMMY! Wish we had room for dessert. I'm telling you....GO HERE! So, so good!

Space Coast, Florida
“Small venue with big taste!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Don't let the the "store front" look fool you, this place is the real deal! Very simple yet comfortable decor and seating. I decided to sit at the bar which offers full menu service. Good wine selection and a decent variety of craft ,local and "everyday" beers.
I had the New York Strip Steak and shrimp. The steak was done perfectly to order and the 4 shrimp were good sized, almost prawn-sized, so I was pleasantly surprised with that! Side salad was fresh and not skimpy. Cost was very reasonable! If you are in Sturgeon Bay and want a break from the Pub scene and Fish Boil or Supper Club venues, you have to give this place a try!

Visited January 2013