“Outstanding!”
Review of John Martin's Restaurant - CLOSED

John Martin's Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Fusion, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located in downtown Sturgeon Bay on Historic Third Avenue in beautiful Door County, Wisconsin. Choose to dine at the bar, at a bistro table along the sidewalk or relax on a cushioned chair in the cozy wood floor dining room. Large photos focusing on the history of Sturgeon Bay pepper the restaurant. The new chef has a strong bent on creativity and local sourcing. His philosophy for features is "Familiar enough to be comfortable but exotic enough to be exciting." The focus is on local and fresh (organic features, and appetizers, in season) is apparent, and when blended with the passion of the staff, it is becoming a foodie destination. We will work with any and all dietary restrictions or food allergies. Ask about "Chefs Choice" options. Call for reservations or a chef consultation for that special occasion.
Sturgeon Bay
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have reviewed this restaurant in the past, but that was after enjoying lunch. Now that I have had the pleasure of eating a full dinner at John Martin's, I wanted to submit another review. The food was FANTASTIC! I was thrilled that you could get one of the specialty salads as your side salad with an entree. Honestly, the Mango Fig salad is the BEST salad I have had--EVER! I had the filet mignon and it was perfect. Melted in your mouth. My husband had the lamb chops, and they were incredible. Really, the best he's ever had in a restaurant. The service was outstanding. My only complaint is that the lighting it too bright and harsh. It would have been far more cozy (and romantic) with lower lighting. However, there were a few very elderly couples in the restaurant, so they may have turned up the lights for them? Still, I think this is the best restaurant in town for the quality of the food!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank vanclaners
bsabo1, Manager at John Martin's Restaurant, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
We are honored by your repeat business and thank you for dining with us. Your feedback is important and very much appreciated. The staff is instructed to dim the lights at sunset to create a more relaxed atmosphere. I can't speak into what the reason was that it was too bright that particular evening, but please know that your input is appreciated and will be shared with the rest of the front house staff. Thank you for giving us an opportunity to enhance the dining experience for our customers.

We look forward to having you back again. Have a super fantastic holiday.

“Amazing meal”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We came here on a Thursday evening. It was the only restaurant that was still open. I had a roasted chicken that came with potatoes and vegetables. To start the split pea soup was so good, the vegetables were awesome and the chicken was cooked perfectly. I was also able to eat off of my friends NY Strip steak and you could litterally cut it with a fork, that's how tender it was. This place does not really look like much, but I highly recommend it.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank Keke456
We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience with us. Thank you for your feedback and sharing us with your friends and family. Please be sure to come back and visit us again soon!

Happy Holidays!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Disappointing”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

They redid this restaurant space nicely - but the food fails to wow.
The owner is often sitting at the bar or roaming around talking way too loudly and inappropriately to help (keep this stuff private - have a meeting before or after your open hour - then make yourself disappear). Let the chef do what he's capable of doing.
Not recommendable for any reason.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank octanereviews
Thank you for your feedback with regard to your dining experience with us. While we strive to provide excellent service and food, we are very sorry to hear that your visit with us was less than desirable.

You have given us an opportunity to improve in some areas that may have been overlooked. We appreicate your comments and hope that you will allow us to serve you in the future.

Happy Holidays!

Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
“What a surprise for Sturgeon Bay!”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Ate here for lunch not long after opening and recall a disappointingly standard menu of caesar, chef salad, sandwiches and the usual menu items. Ate tonight with my family (including 2 children) and was really impressed.

Very attentive staff, accommodating to the kids wishes and very polite. The menu was surprisingly adventurous for Sturgeon Bay, lots of things you do not see in town. Must say that some of the items were trying too hard. For example, my fig and goat cheese salad would have been spot on without the added mango dressing (the balsamic was enough and more appropriate.) Wish the bread they served was more than a soft white, something whole wheat or rye would be nice.

All in all a good choice for a nice meal.

• Visited November 2012
NE WIsconsin
“Just about perfect!”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We have eaten at this restaurant several times since it opened nearly a year ago. It is a wonderful place! The service is good and the food is very good, high quality. Most of the entrees are cooked from scratch, even the desserts. I always come in expecting to order something different, but can't seem to pass up their wonderful lamb. My husband seems stuck on their New York strip. There are less expensive alternatives on the menu that we have not tried, but have heard that they are good. Always, the food has been beautifully prepared and presented. If I have a gripe, it is with the televisions over the bar. This is a small place and it is hard to find a place to sit in the restaurant where the televisions aren't grabbing one's attention! Very unnerving to look up at your dinner partner and see that he is transfixed by the silent sports clips on ESPN! (it has happened the other way, as well!) This restaurant has an identity crisis. Sports/drinking hangout or a fine dining establishment? In the small space they have, it is hard to blend the two. I understand that this is a small city and that they need to survive when the tourists aren't around--perhaps this uneasy blend is what is needed to keep the doors open. Too bad they can't find a way to isolate the bar/television combo from the dining area. Having said all that, I am looking forward to my next visit there. The food is just plain fabulous!

• Visited October 2012