“Very ordinary”

Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Sturgeon Bay
Perth, Australia
“Very ordinary”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This hotel is very ordinary. The room was very plain and not thoroughly clean. Bath dirty, wall paper peeling of and bathroon cabinet broken. The washing machine were out of order and when I asked if there was any coffee in the "24 hour" coffee facility I was told "Don't know" as staff was too interested in the NFL on TV.

Room Tip: If yuo want a good room go somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MalDann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
APPLETON
Reviewed August 15, 2013

A friend and I decided to have our annual girl's weekend in Door County. We searched for a room and found most of the hotels in Sturgeon Bay were booked. We ended up calling Comfort Inn. It seemed expensive at $150+ for a room, but it was because the only room left was one with a Jacuzzi; we booked it.

I took the day off and arrived at the hotel first. My friend would arrive later in the evening after she finished work. The bathroom was filthy. They were going to switch us to another room, the but smell in that room was overpowering. I said it would be fine to stay in the room if they cleaned the bathroom.

I soaked in the Jacuzzi while watching television. There were filmy bubbles floating around. Strange, I didn't use any bubble bath. I didn't really think anything of it. I was sure they cleaned the entire room when someone checked out.

My friend used the Jacuzzi the next night while we relaxed after a day of hiking and biking on Washington Island and Cave Point Park.

Over the next few days I developed a vicious looking rash and it spread! I had to see my doctor to be put on a regimen for Shingles because they didn't know what I had. They took scraping and a punch-biopsy (for which I had to have stitches).There were pustules over my entire body; even on my scalp! My eye was entirely swollen shut. After a week of apprehensive waiting and a trip to the ER I found out that I had a severe allergic reaction and the pustules were hives. They're still healing almost two weeks later and my arms, especially, are a mass of them. I'm hoping they don't scar. My friend also had the same symptoms, but not as severe.

Also, the room had evidence of bed bugs: little spots on the sheets (like someone had taken a felt tip marker and touched it to various parts of the sheet); not to mention the bug shell I found on the bed. I did find three reports of bed bugs concerning this facility online when I did research after returning home. I had no idea what bed bugs look like. I do now. I called to speak to the manager and was told he was not on site. I left a message for him to contact me, but have heard nothing. I am hoping none of the bed bugs came home with me.

I received an e-mail from Comfort Inn asking me to fill out a survey, which I did. I have not heard anything back.

I would not suggest staying at this Comfort Inn facility for a trip to Door County.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank BerkanaBeads

Travelers are raving about these Sturgeon Bay hotels

eau claire
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We felt like we were 'bothering' the clerk upon check-in. The 1st room was dim and the bathroom light didn't light. The room had a musty smell and bed looked as if the sheets were not fresh.
We were then moved to another room. Even with the windows open and the air on the smell was very musty and dank.
Breakfast was ok.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 5freddy5
Baraboo, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Rented 2 adjoining rooms for the weekend. One room smelled like a high school locker room and the carpet was damp. The window had a huge smear on it on the inside of the room. (Looked like someone had thrown chocolate milk on it.) Both rooms had visible mold around the tub. The plastic trim was peeling away from the wall in several spots. The sink drain in one bathroom was clogged...drained VERY slowly.

Room Tip: Nice location. Would be a nice property to stay.... if it had a manager that supervised a thorough c...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Madison, WI
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was not at all impressed with this Comfort Inn. The room that we stayed in had a very musty smell and it was not pleasant at all. The breakfast was extremely chaotic because it was in a small area. I would not stay at this hotel again. It was in a good spot to stay for going to Door County though. I would probably try the Americinn that was across the street instead.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbia, Maryland
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

We had to ring the bell for service when we came to check in. A customer shouldn't have to do this. We got a less than enthusiastic clerk who assigned us to a room. When we opened the door to the room we saw the beds had not been made from the previous guest. Yuk! We returned to the desk and the same clerk acted like this was no big deal. She assigned us to a different room. We were told the pool was closed because someone who worked there was on vacation. It looked disgusting. Our deadbolt didn't work. The toilet didn't work well. The breakfast was below average. We tolerated the place for 2 nights because we were part of a large group that got bumped from the Best Western.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Wisconsin
Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is a great little hotel at a easy to access location. A quick 30 minute drive to upper Door County.

Rooms are modern, clean and cheap during the off-season. Beds are comfortable, there's a small pool and a sleek TV

They're doing renovations which should be cool!

• Stayed February 2013
#11 of 17 in Sturgeon Bay
The Ashbrooke
The Ashbrooke
#1 of 7 in Egg Harbor

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!