“Great Place to Stay”

Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Sturgeon Bay
Moline, Illinois, United States
“Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I was in residence for the 2nd annual Wounded Warriors Fishing Trip! The staff and the locals that were there to assist the Warriors did an outstanding job of taking care of every need of the Warriors! I was there early so I got to attend the Hawaiian Luau. It was a fantastic show. When I'm in Sturgeon Bay on business, I always stay at the Lodge. I've tried other places but no other motel, hotel or B&B matches the attention to detail I receive at the Lodge

Room Tip: The Captain's suites are fabulous!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Carl M
LodgeAtLeathemSmith, Owner at The Lodge at Leathem Smith, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to complete the review of our property. Our staff takes pride in making sure our guests have the best experience possible. The Wounded Warriors Fishing Trip and the Hawaiian Luau were great successes this year and we appreciate you being here to enjoy the events. We look forward to your next visit to Sturgeon Bay and having the opportunity to make our Lodge your home away from home.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Kewaskum, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed August 25, 2013

It started with terrible customer service, not even a greeting/hello! This is my biggest complaint. Every single other place we ventured to in Sturgeon Bay - had excellent courtesy/customer service but the Lodge was the worst in all my experience of traveling. I don't expect much and am a very low maintenance guest but I would like to be greeted when coming into a bar and usually you are offered a drink (hello, paying customer anyone?) Our empty glasses were almost always ignored, except for the younger bartender who would mosey over after goofing around with all the waitresses. And the older bartender, only served the local friends of his who were NOT staying at the lodge. We asked for a menu & he brought it to us 45 minutes later after we already flagged down a waitress and ordered for ourselves. By the way, there were less than 10 folks in the entire establishment - so there was no excuse to be ignored & neglected, as we were paying guests. Not one time were we greeted or asked how anything was and there is virtually nothing else to do onsite. Pool was dirty, no hot tub, tikki bar is in the backyard with no view of anything. The tikki bartender was friendly and also the cook (not the owner/didn't see him one time). We ended up going out to dinner our 2nd night as I didn't want to give them one more penny for their terrible service. I do think that the food might be good there, and the free breakfast was nice - however, all of the milk was expired. Also, the marina across the street is nice to walk out to. But there are sooo many other lovely places to stay that are comparably priced. So do NOT waste your money here to be treated poorly by ALL of the staff. Perhaps they should book a stay somewhere/anywhere else so they can properly learn how to treat a guest.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Lily B
LodgeAtLeathemSmith, Owner at The Lodge at Leathem Smith, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for taking your time to let us know about your recent stay with us. I do want to let you know that we continually are working with our team on guest service and the importance of guest service. I do apologize that your check-in experience and your restaurant/bar service was not as inviting as expected.
Our pool is cleaned daily, chemicals are added as needed and standards are based on the State Of Wisconsin guidelines. We do not advertise that we offer a hot tub (perhaps you are confusing the whirlpool tubs we offer in our suites?) Our Tiki bar is located behind the lodge and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Our well-manicured grounds, to some, are a nice background while having a cocktail outdoors.
I am glad you enjoyed your complimentary breakfast. We think we offer a wonderful breakfast for our guests with made to order omelets, waffles, fresh baked goods, fresh fruit, yogurt etc. The expired milk should have been changed out and fresh milk offered to you if it was brought to anyone’s attention.
Unfortunately we faltered in our service with your recent stay with us and did not respond as needed or assist you to the fullest extent.
I am puzzled as to the fact that you knew which restaurant patrons were staying at the lodge and which ones were not. As well as how you knew what I look like and did not see me. I worked Thursday, Friday & Saturday during your stay. I wish I knew during your stay of the service issues you encountered so I could have taken care of the situation right away.
Once again I thank you for taking you time to express your opinion of your stay. I am sorry about your disappointment and appreciate your input and it will be addressed. Hopefully your next trip to Door County will provide you, if possible a better experience.
Kind Regards,
Paul

Travelers are raving about these Sturgeon Bay hotels

South Beloit, Illinois
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We went there for a wedding and totally had the worst experience ever. We had booked a room which was one of their expensive ones. On arrival they had moved us to a different room without notifying us and gave our room to a preferred customer. I called the front desk to ask why they did that without notifying us, he Paul was so rude and told us if we want we can leave and go stay elsewhere. He even threatened to blackmail me and tell the groom that I was complaining about our stay. I have so much disgust and nothing nice to say about this place. If you have any option to go elsewhere better do. It's no worth the price you pay. They are so discriminatory and they should be checked for their behavior.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
12 Thank B U
Gassville, Arkansas
Reviewed July 28, 2013

A full service lodge with good rooms, good staff, and all amenities needed when in Sturgeon Bay. The Lodge was at full capacity with a fishing tournament and wedding going on at the same time. All were very cordial and friendly. I can't wait for a chance to go back.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Scott A
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Terrible stay, and expensive. No rooms have a view of the water, ours had a view of a concrete parking lot, and we paid $160. There are much cheaper and beautiful places to stay in Door County. And the service is better at a campground. Here are some of the gems to expect:

If you call to make changes to your reservation, expect the desk clerk to blame you when he can't find your reservation. Expect him to accuse you of making the reservation under someone else's name even though your credit card was charged. Expect him to then accuse you of making a reservation at another hotel...even though your credit card was charged. Then expect him to try to end the phone call with you. When he finally finds out he couldn't find your name because another desk clerk spelled your name wrong (although she suspiciously was able to spell it correctly when charging your credit card), expect him to pretend he didn't just treat you like you're an idiot.

If you're coming for a wedding that starts at 4:00, know that check-in is at 3:00. Expect it to be like pulling teeth to get an early check-in so you have time to get ready for the wedding. Expect the front desk clerk to say, "well I don't know what I can do" when you call ahead to ask, and then expect to have to explain to her that she could ask the cleaning people to clean your room first. Expect her to be extremely inconvenienced by your request.

Expect that the rooms will not have basic amenities that are typical even in the cheapest motels such as hairdryers and an iron/ironing board, or even a menu for the restaurant downstairs.

When you call down to the front desk for said unprovided iron/ironing board, expect the employee to be rude and totally inconvenienced by your request. She will send an ironing board "if the cleaning people are not too busy."

When you get out of the shower and realize that a hair dryer is *also* not provided, and exclaim to your partner how it's "[--] ridiculous" that those are not standard, either, expect an employee to overhear your rant through the wall and, seemingly nicely, bring a hair dryer to your door. But when she does it she'll rudely tell your partner that she's "just trying to prevent a meltdown." (For the record, after the ironing board debacle, I was prepared to go to the wedding with wet hair to avoid having to ask the front desk clerk for a hair dryer at all)

If you get a beer at the bar, you can bring it to your room, but if you dare to stop anywhere on the way to your room, such as the lobby, prepare to be rudely reprimanded by the staff.

If you're at a wedding out on the lawn, be prepared to not be able to hear anything because of the traffic passing by on the highway.

When they're hosting a wedding, expect them to put up a sign at the bar of the reception drink choices. When you ask for one of the drink choices, expect the bartender to tell you those are not available, and when you point to the sign, expect her to say, "don't shoot the messenger," then take the sign down, and then *put it back up* five minutes later even though you *still* can't order those drinks.

Be very clear that you need a pet friendly room. Make sure you are in one of their six pet-friendly rooms. If not, there is hell to pay. $250.00 to be exact.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
12 Thank Rakhi N
Green Bay, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I had the visual pleasure of being at the Lodge at Leathem Smith. I was there to do business with the owner, Paul, and while I was waiting I heard the daily routine and interaction of his work staff while I sat in the sun drenched, inviting lobby, facing a large fireplace.
From the time I walked through the door, experienced the staff as they helped each other and were having fun at the same time, listened to them engage their guests, I knew this was the place to be in Door County.
The Lodge, as I lovingly call it since being there, entices you to spend little time in your room and find your own comfortable place to relax and enjoy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Julie D
Roseville, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We had our wedding reception at The Lodge at Leathem Smith in May of 2013. Our wedding was an amazing experience, every couple has lofty expectations for that special day, Paul and his staff helped bring turn those expectations from dream to reality.
Service: During the planning stages Paul was amazing at putting our minds at ease and casting a vision of how our reception would look and feel. He knows how to make those small touches that turn him from another vendor to trusted advisor. The staff before and after the event was always friendly and made sure that both we and our guests were satisfied and happy with meals, accomodations, and the occasional special request.
Food: The lodge knocks it out of the park! Our dinner was served at stations and the food was amazing, the guests were raving about a number of the dishes whether it was the pork tenderloin with cherry compote, the curried meatloaf, or the white fish. The staff also paid special attention to my wives needs for a lactose free dish and made a special effort to accomodate one of our guest who was gluten free.
Lodging: We were the second guests in the newly renovated "Johnny Cash" Suite. The room is amazing, the updates were very well done, the room was spacious. The only regret was not trying out the fire place. We heard many rave reviews on the breakfast from our guests.
Location: My wife is from Door County, so we have a strong affinity for the area and are potentially a little bias, but it's an amazing place, our ceremony was in the spring and the cherry blossoms were a serene backdrop for photographs.
Our wedding was an amazing day, We are very appreciative to Paul, The Lodge, and his staff for the role that they played in our special day.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Sturgeon Bay
The Landing Resort
The Landing Resort
#4 of 7 in Egg Harbor

Been to The Lodge at Leathem Smith? Share your experiences!