“Wonderful food, atmostphere and service”
Review of Big Sky Restaurant

Big Sky Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 45 Restaurants in Stoughton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2013

The Big Sky is only a couple blocks from the Stoughton Opera House. There is plenty of street parking. Our party of six all ordered different items from the menu. The raves were the NY York Strip, Tenderloin, Tortellini and Catfish. The very goods were the Osso Buco and the scallops. The bread at the beginning of the meal was exceptionally good. Our service was quite good with a couple of hiccups but quickly sorted out. The owners came over to check on us and our meal. We would definitely recommend.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I took my parents to eat here in mid-August, and had a wonderful dinner. We were very happy to see this restaurant arrive in Stoughton, as we really enjoy a nice dining experience every so often, and Stoughton is lacking in this area. We made reservations to be on the safe side (we went on a Thursday night) and were glad we did. The ambiance is very nice, and it feels upscale without feeling stuffy. You could dress up or come in jeans and feel comfortable.

While our server was on the younger side and occasionally that showed a little, she was friendly, attentive, got everything right and brought everything out at our desired (and requested) pace. We were very happy with the service. We definitely lingered over our dinner, and despite being the last ones at the restaurant around closing time we did not feel rushed. Both of the owners came out to talk with us, and we found them to be very genuine.

We ordered the bacon-wrapped shrimp (with a sun-dried tomato cream sauce) appetizer, which was absolutely delicious. All of our salads were good, as was the bread. Three of us ordered the scallop special and my husband ordered the steak. Although it came out more on the medium-rare side when he ordered it medium, he said it was still very good. He's not very picky, though.. someone who really means "medium" might want to stress that. My parents and I all loved our scallops. I always jump at the chance to order them when I see them on a menu, and I was not disappointed. They were big, tasty, and perfectly cooked. Everything they were served with was delicious as well.

They do have a small bar as well, and I would definitely consider going there in the evening with friends for some wine and a few appetizers. Overall, it was a wonderful dinner and I am looking forward to going back again soon.

1  Thank KP2874
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stoughton is thrilled with this new restaurant addition and with good reason. The only other choice for memorable food in Stoughton is Laz Bistro. With this in mind, everyone and their grandparents want to eat here & you would be smart to make a reservation. We did get in without one, but overheard the waiter tell a couple just after us that they were booked solid all night. Very cute little place--nice paintings, good lighting, beautiful atmosphere, just a little loud with no fabric to absorb noise. Service was excellent, though we seemed to have three people waiting on us and all surprised that someone else had checked on us. The yellow gazpacho was delicious--not at all what we expected (more like a sweet chunky salsa than a smooth gazpacho), but bits of plum went well with the corn-tomato-cilantro-pepper base. It was also huge, a great deal for 4.50. The shrimp ravioli was a bit bland & it was 2 very large ravioli, rather than smaller ones. It was in a butter-heavy cream sauce with goat cheese & spinach inside, drizzled with pine nuts. Flavor was very good, but could have used something to balance the creaminess--I borrowed some of the sundried tomatoes from my date's salad & they went very well. There were 2 vegetarian options on the menu for both lunch & dinner--both seemed interesting--roasted vegetables, pasta with basil & tomato sauce, stuffed mushrooms... For dessert we had a "peach tart" with berries--it was more of a pastry and was covered in whipped cream, but at least it was homemade whipped cream. All in all, very pleasant and happy to see new options in town. For dinner, there were small plates with lower prices and large plates that were pricier. Small plates were still sufficient for a meal, nice to have a range for those on a budget who still like to eat well.

1  Thank ChicaWi
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Three of us dined on a Sat. Night at 6:00 pm, there were tables reserved but we got right in. The waitress was underaged so had no suggestions on the wine list. She consulted her notes to provide a description of the nights specials. We ordered appetizers and the specials, soft-shell crab and scallops. The bread, appetizer plate (vegetable antipasti) and salad came in such rapid succession I felt quite rushed and expressed this to the waitress. She left and immediately returned with our main dish. It was at this point I became disenchanted with what I had hoped to be a pleasant and relaxing evening. The soft-shell crabs were tasty but the scallops were a trifle salty. The salads were nicely dressed with a vinegar and oil dressing. The bread was warm and tasty but the butter was too hard to spread smoothly. The vegetable antipasti offered two stuffed mushrooms, which we divided between us. There was eggplant ( tough and chewy), zucchini, beets and other veggies grilled and quite tasty. We shared a chocolate mousse that, while tasty, bore a close resemblance to lava cake. Except for the lack of knowledgeability and the feeling of being rushed it was a tasty meal.

1  Thank Trippymarge
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I ate at the Big Sky in Stoughton on a Saturday night without reservations. We got a table right away but it was busy and people kept coming in after 7:30, which one doesn't normally expect in a small, country town. Nor does one expect a meal as creative, sophisticated, and delicious as ours. My wife had the chicken farfalla with mushrooms and roasted peppers. She loved it. I had the chicken stuffed with goat cheeses and red pepper, which was equally delicious. This is not "country fare" or "mom's home cooking." It's imaginative and expertly prepared food one expects to find in big cities--or medium-sized cities like Madison. With a bottle of California wine (no Wisconsin wine offered) and a shared dessert we got out for c. $70.