“Comfy, Great Bed!”

Holiday Inn Stevens Point Convention Center
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Stevens Point
Reviewed May 6, 2010

I don't know which room JimmyK stayed in, but our king bed/fireplace/jacuzzi suite was great. Based on his review I did check the bed out really carefully, but ours was perfect....NO BEDBUGS Really clean and the bed was so comfortable! Our bathroom did have a weird odor but the exhaust fan took care of it. All in all great room and front desk staff WAS WONDERFUL to work with (thanks Merry!!!) One thing I would wish for was a lighted makeup mirror...the lights were fairly dim around the bathroom mirror.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank bwoz

Reviewed August 22, 2009

On the first night of our week long trip, we were very impressed with this accomodation. Friendly staff, clean room, and very fun waterpark for the kids. Equally convenient was the restaurant attached to the hotel, Rudy's Redeye Grill. Very good service with great food and ambience. We were simply looking for a place to overnight on the way through WI, and we were very impressed with this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank goingwestwithkids
Reviewed May 9, 2009

I stayed in a king single for a 2 day business trip. The entire hotel is very professional and up to date in appearance. Staff were very friendly. My bed, bathroom, shower and all were very bright, clean and comfortable. Pool with a slide is geared toward kids. Convention halls are attached, and service was prompt. The hotel is easy to find right off the highway. I recommend the RedEyeRib restaraunt; an excellent salmon supper.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank workhardplayhard_01
Reviewed May 1, 2009

This hotel is 1/2 block from the Holiday Inn Express. I would stay at the Express next time. This is a Green Hotel. It participates in an energy conservation program; one of five hotels in the state of Wisconsin that does this (according to the manager). Wonderful idea, but be advised what this means: it was 84 degrees outside during the day and the "green policy" means the air conditioner turns off every 15 minutes for 5 minutes and during the night it turns off if the outside temperature reaches a certain degree (management wasn't clear what that temperature was). So......it is 2:00a.m. and we wake up sweating. The air conditioner isn't working and we are HOT!! We knew the hotel was full and didn't want to wake the kids with a maintenance visit. We were partially asleep and uncomfortable - couldn't figure out how to open the windows. No one slept well that night. After a conversation with management we discovered that we were EXPECTED to open the windows during the night to conserve energy!! No one told us this upon checkin. To give credit to management, we paid $120 for the room and they refunded $40.00 for our troubles. So, does this mean in the winter you freeze to conserve energy?

Swimming pool. No, it is not Wisconsin Dells, but an enhanced pool which is acceptable. Problem was it didn't open until 6:30p.m. and the hotel was crawling with kids! Good comment: lifeguard on duty which is rare at a hotel.

The hotel was filled to the brim with kids. They were continuously on the computer, running through the halls. I observed a large group of adults (I counted 17) sitting in the lobby partaking of martinis and an array of snacks. Two hours later they were still there and very drunk. They even offered my 15 year old son a martini as he passed by.

Breakfast? Not provided by the hotel (the Holiday Inn Express 1/2 block away provides enhanced continental breakfast), but you are given "free entree for 12 and under" certificates which you can use for any meal at the restaurant. Breakfast for an adult starts at $6.00 for a bowl of oatmeal in the restaurant which means you need to tip also ending up paying $7.50 for a $.50 bowl of oatmeal. My kids preferred McDonalds.

There is complimentary 24 hour coffee and tea in the lobby lounge area. There are plenty of sofas, chairs, and tables which makes it a very nice area in the hotel.

It was an up and down hotel stay. Would not visit this particular hotel again, but I love Holiday Inns. I will certainly understand what a "Green Hotel" means in the future!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank MinnesotaM-GreenBay
JasonBe, Manager at Holiday Inn Stevens Point Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2010

We would like to extend our apologies to the writer of this review. We do not like to fall short of people’s expectations. The heating and cooling system regulators can be overridden very easily if a guest requests that we do so. I do understand that the hour of this guest’s experience made it less than ideal to have a visit from our maintenance team. Again, we do extend our apologies.

There are many factors that contribute to being awarded a Green Certification by the State of Wisconsin. Recycling programs, the use of incandescent light bulbs, an acceptable water runoff plan, and R Value of building materials are a sampling of items that can help a hotel achieve such a status. And it is a status we are very proud of here at the Holiday Inn Convention Center in Stevens Point. More information about the program is available at www.travelgreenwisconsin.com.

Reviewed March 24, 2009

My family and I have stayed here before; it is convenient when visiting my husband's family. In the past we were happy, but we were very frustrated by our experience over the Christmas holidays (Dec 08).

When we checked in, the staff was very pleasant, and all was well. However, the next morning I called to order breakfast (it was Christmas morning, and I knew that all restaurants in the area would be closed). The phone rang right to the front desk and I was informed that the kitchen was closed. I was told I could go to the nearby Holiday Inn Express and eat their continental breakfast, but since I had a nine-month-old and it was FREEZING (10'-15' F), I didn't want to take her out and then come back in, so we just packed up and left.

I honestly don't have a problem with the kitchen being closed on a holiday... my problem is that we were not informed at check-in. Even a basic sign on the front desk would have enabled us to plan ahead (i.e., buy breakfast food at a grocery store). Instead, we were left high and dry.

I am even more irritated because I wrote a letter to hotel management asking that, in the future, they have the courtesy to inform guests when services will be closed. I wasn't looking for money... just acknowledgement that there had been a problem and that it would be addressed. Two and a half months later, I have received no response. Needless to say, we will be staying somewhere else on future family visits.

Please clean up your act, HI!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank WIteacher
Reviewed February 27, 2009

I don't know how much they spent on this place, but I'll tell you it was in the wrong areas! First of all the rooms have nice stand up showers, but no tubs unless you pay for the whirlpools. Second, the "water park" is the cheapest and most awful way of snagging a guest. There is NO WAY you would EVER call that a water park! It never gets over 4 1/2 ft. and is smaller than their lobby area. It has one 2-story water slide that was not even open as far as we could tell. It has a small slide for kids, and I mean VERY small. It had one basketball hoop. They did have towels, which was nice. Other than that, complete rubbish. If you wanted to swim laps, go somewhere else. If you want a lot of filler and fluff that looks new but has very limited functionality, this is your place. If you actually wanted services for your dollar, take those dollars elsewhere. The restaurant is also terrible, same as the hotel. Showy, overpriced, and used only to get a higher profit. This place represents all that is greedy and selfish in the US. Holiday Inn should be ashamed of itself.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank cjraiders
JasonBe, Manager at Holiday Inn Stevens Point Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2010

We apologize to the writer of this review, as we do not like to fall short of people’s expectations.

While it is evidently clear that we did not have the amenities at our hotel this guest was looking for, we are confused about the comment regarding going elsewhere if you want service for your dollar. We could not find anything in the review, or in our records that indicate the service provided by the hotel staff was inadequate.

To clarify a few points made in this review. Our standard guest rooms containing one king bed to provide a stand up shower. Our standard guest rooms with two queen beds do provide traditional bathtubs. If a bathtub is an amenity that you may be looking for in your travel plans please reserve a room with two queen beds.

Our waterpark is 12,000 square feet and does provide the amenities listed in this review, with the following clarifications. There are three basketball hoops. And our waterslide is three stories tall. The waterslide does have limited hours. We are required to have lifeguards on duty when the slide is open by the State of Wisconsin. And as a convention center destination, it does not make sense to have the slide open all day during the week when business travelers our occupying the hotel. A list of midweek and weekend hours, information about our waterpark and pictures can be found by going to the Holiday Inn Website and searching for the Holiday Inn Convention Center, Stevens Point.

Reviewed November 1, 2007

Of wow! I was surprised. I was thinking it was a hotel my family stayed a few years ago, but this is a band new Holiday Inn and it's stunning. It has a great restaurant, Rudy"s Grill and a big slide and game room in the pool. The place was sharp.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank lilysnaps