Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Stevens Point-Wisconsin Rapids
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Stevens Point
Fairfield, IA
“Very Nice Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2008

I can not say enough good things about this hotel. I have taken many workshops at the Midwest Renewable Energy Association and this is the closest hotel to that location; just about a 5 min drive. I have stayed here probably a total of 30 days this summer and plan on doing the same, if not more, next summer. But as for the hotel... Greatly exceeded my expectations the first time I stayed here. My very first night I stayed here I got a king suite (the only rooms with a fridge and microwave). It had absolutely the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in to be honest. its a lot more comfortable then the bed I have at home actually. (I believe it has the feather bed layer under the sheets). The rooms are extremely clean which is mainly what I look for when I get a hotel. I have also stayed in a room with 2 queens and a standard king room. The king room is very spacious and has a desk with an easy chair. They also upgraded their TV's (and they needed it) to 36'' flat screens which are really nice. The food at breakfast is very good (you have to have a roll) and they even have real orange juice! It has a pool but I have never gotten in but it looks nice from what I have seen. It also has a pretty decent rec room. But if you are looking for a very clean, decently priced hotel, stay at this hotel or the regular Holiday Inn next door (Under the same management so I'm sure its the same quality). Another word of advice, dont stay at the Ramada up the road. It looks nice on the outside but the inside is old and kind of dirty. If you have any doubts staying here, feel free to contact me and I will clear up any problems that you think you would have. Tyler P.S. They have exremely fast wireless internet.

• Liked — The cleanliness and the beds are to die for
  • Disliked — Nothing really except I tried to print something in their business center and the computer was pretty slow (Real big deal let me tell ya)
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank tda2007
Cara M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Stevens Point-Wisconsin Rapids, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank You for staying with us. We hope to see you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Lake Genenva,WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2008

This was a very clean Hotel. All the ammenities i.e. hair dryer,iron ect. worked. The breakfast is excellent. There is little outside noise.

• Liked — The free breakfast
  • Disliked — it is hard to get to
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank rerewill
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2008

We stayed here for our son's graduation from UWSP. The staff is always was very helpful.
I have stayed here several times in the past and would stay here again.
The hotel is very clean and the breakfast is very nice with hot and cold food.

• Liked — The staff was very helpful and we have always gotten great service here
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Wisc0nsintraveler
Appleton, WI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2008

Wireless access without any security. Excellent speed. I tested the speed on speedtest.net:

1,327 kb/s download
1,079 kb/s upload

Stayed March 2008
2 Thank candidCIO
Madison
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2008

Nice hotel. Pretty well kept. Front desk very nice to work with. I booked a King Suite, and even called before I booked it online, and they assured me that I would have the room with microwave and fridge.

When I got there, they did not have that, and they figured out a way to get the room I wanted.

Also, when I went into my room, I was blasted with cigarette smell, went back to the desk, and they gave me a fresh room. I am a non-smoker, and very sensitive to those smells.

The temps here were 15 below zero that night, and the heat worked very well!

Breakfast was excellent...nice stay!

Stayed January 2008
2 Thank ClickTheGeek
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2008

The room was large and comfortable. The bathroom was clean and the shower was nice. I like the curved shower rods and the fact that the tub drained well. (Some hotels I end up standing ankle deep in water until the shower's over.) The breakfast was very good, including omelets/scrambled eggs, sausage/bacon, biscuits, gravy and the normal pastries, juices, etc. People were friendly. The only disappointment was that the pool was way too cold. My two year old started shivering the minute we got in so we had to spend our time in the hot tub - not as much fun. One other bothersome thing was that the room doors slam pretty loudly which will wake you out of a sleep late at night. They do have a small sign on the back of the door asking that you close the doors quietly but either some people didn't see it or like us, we forgot a couple times. Otherwise, it was a pleasant stay and would stay again.

• Liked — Large Room
  • Disliked — Cold Pool
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Marionion
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2007

I stayed here during the MREA Energy Fair weekend June 15-16. I’ve attended the Energy Fair since 1995 so have stayed at many Stevens Point hotels but this was my first stay here. It is a newer hotel not more than 2 years old in an area going thru a lot of development: new hotels, restaurants, strip malls, etc. Going thru the hotel web site I got a rate for a king bed room, 1 person at $78/night. I consider myself a consumer who is careful when using the internet and reads everything in detail. However somehow I missed the fact that not all the rooms come with a fridge and microwave. I believe the web site is very misleading and will raise this with the hotel. So when I checked in I was very disappointed no fridge or microwave; I could have gotten a cheaper hotel room ($60/night) w/o those amenities. But moving past that big disappointment, the rest of the stay was very pleasant.

My room was very big IMHO (in my humble opinion) for any hotel star level with plenty of room for at least 3 adults, maybe 4; though 4 adults in the bed would be cozy! Speaking of the bed, it was comfortable and the pillows/linens were acceptable. The bathroom was also a good size with plenty of counter space, a good size tub and a coffee maker I did not use. The toilet was a power flush so it was noisier than the old gravity models but I did not find it too loud. I reserved a smoking room, again by accident, so there were cigarette burns on the carpet by the bed. But otherwise the room & bathroom were clean. I was on the top/3rd floor facing the back of the building and a wooded lot which was an extra bonus because I could open the windows. Yes, they have real windows with screens which you can open nice and wide; not like a lot of places with un-openable windows or ones you can only open about 1-2” without screens. I slept with the windows open and it was wonderful! I did not use the heating/cooling unit but when I arrived, it was working properly because my room was quite cold (too cold for my tastes).

The continental breakfast was adequate: instant oatmeal, cold cereals, yogurt, bananas, hard boiled eggs, hot cinnamon rolls, muffins, juices, milk and coffee. They also had some sort of canned fruit cocktail in a bowl which I passed on. Everything was edible and at the appropriate temperature but nothing to rave about; I especially appreciated the hard boiled eggs (morning protein). There was plenty of room to move around and sit.

I used the public whirlpool the first night and it was not hot enough IMHO. I’m use to hot tubs where within 5 mins you are sweating and drinking cold water; in this one I did not even break a sweat. I did not use the actual pool but it was the smallest I can remember ever at a hotel. In fact the entire pool area was very small but luckily the night I went down right before it closed at 10pm, there were only 4 other people and they were using the pool. But on a busy day/night, I could see it becoming very noisy and cramped without enough chairs/loungers very quickly. If I had to guess, I’d say there were only enough seats for about 25 people.

The hotel was completely booked for the weekend but it was quiet, plenty of parking spaces and the staff were very pleasant to deal with. Oh, I tried the internet connection in the business center and could not get it to work for me; I was too lazy to contact staff for help (long day). I would stay here again but definitely plan to go w/o the fridge/micro. It has a lot of things going for it including the most convenient hotel for the Energy Fair instead of the ones close to downtown/campus.

PS – They may have fixed the “smelly lobby” since Feb ’07 because I did not smell anything out of the ordinary.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No fridge or microwave in room as expected.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank ttiottn1
JasonBe, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Stevens Point-Wisconsin Rapids, responded to this review, August 7, 2010
Since this review was originally posted in 2007 we are happy to announce that we have completed a soft good renovation at the Holiday Inn Express Stevens Point. That renovation included the addition of refrigerators and microwaves in every room. Holiday Inn Express has also changed the complimentary breakfast to include many hot items. Some items include bacon, sausage, omelets and biscuits with gravy.