We travel a quite a bit and make 90% of our rooms selections based upon TripAdvisor reviews. This is one of only a couple of times where the TripAdvisor reviews we read did not match our personal experience - the good news is it was nothing egregious.
For us this hotel was just about as average as they come - nothing was terrible, but nothing was really exceptional either.
As others have mentioned, this hotel is just a few miles from UW Stevens Point (it sits back from the road just beyond the Fleet and Farm store).
The cleanliness was what made this place so "average" for us. For example, the tub/tile floor in the bathroom were in need a of a good cleaning, or maybe just a refurbishing. The bathroom was certainly was not a total "ick, get me out of here" situation, but we have seen much better in similar hotels.
They also may have some underlying cleaning issues as well. We were there three days and two nights (all weekdays), and during our very first ride in the elevator after check-in we noticed someone had carefully placed pennies in strategic locations throughout the elevator. Basically, there was a penny in every corner of the floor, on the carpet where the doors opened, on top of picture frames, on the ledges, in the cracks, etc. They were placed so specifically that we thought it was a prank or something. We were kidding around that maybe the ghost of Alan Funt was up to something, or maybe it was some type of college psychology experiment to see who would pick them up, etc.
After coming and going for a couple of days we noticed that one or two of the pennies were gone, but most remained exactly where they were (why would someone take one but not all we asked ourselves - has to be a prank). Finally we asked the staff what the pennies in the elevator were all about, and they admitted they had not seen them, but guessed it could be their cleaning manager placing them there to test if the crew was cleaning well. If so, kudos to the manager for thinking of this, but after three days I'd say you have your answer and it is time to get them out of there and address the situation.
We never really found out exactly why they were there, but at the very least one thing is for certain, whoever was in charge of cleaning the elevator was not getting the corners, cracks or ledges -- or they were in on the prank!
Again, this is not a hotel to go running away from, but to us it was rather average so we'll explore another one in the area next time. We may be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites of Stevens Point. Enjoy our great amenities including great hot breakfast items, pool, whirlpool, new fitness center equipment and business center. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, your stay will be relaxing and enjoyable. Our large suites offer microwaves and refrigerators. Located on Hwy 10, east of I-39/51. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Stevens Point-Wisconsin Rapids reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Stevens Point-Wisconsin Rapids
- Holiday Inn Stevens Point
- Stevens Point Holiday Inn