Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Stevens Point-Wisconsin Rapids
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Stevens Point
Reviewed January 30, 2008

Nice hotel. Pretty well kept. Front desk very nice to work with. I booked a King Suite, and even called before I booked it online, and they assured me that I would have the room with microwave and fridge.

When I got there, they did not have that, and they figured out a way to get the room I wanted.

Also, when I went into my room, I was blasted with cigarette smell, went back to the desk, and they gave me a fresh room. I am a non-smoker, and very sensitive to those smells.

The temps here were 15 below zero that night, and the heat worked very well!

Breakfast was excellent...nice stay!

Stayed: January 2008
2  Thank ClickTheGeek
Cara M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Stevens Point-Wisconsin Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Thank You for staying with us. We hope to see you again!

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Stevens Point-Wisconsin Rapids

Reviewed January 22, 2008

The room was large and comfortable. The bathroom was clean and the shower was nice. I like the curved shower rods and the fact that the tub drained well. (Some hotels I end up standing ankle deep in water until the shower's over.) The breakfast was very good, including omelets/scrambled eggs, sausage/bacon, biscuits, gravy and the normal pastries, juices, etc. People were friendly. The only disappointment was that the pool was way too cold. My two year old started shivering the minute we got in so we had to spend our time in the hot tub - not as much fun. One other bothersome thing was that the room doors slam pretty loudly which will wake you out of a sleep late at night. They do have a small sign on the back of the door asking that you close the doors quietly but either some people didn't see it or like us, we forgot a couple times. Otherwise, it was a pleasant stay and would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Marionion

Reviewed June 22, 2007

I stayed here during the MREA Energy Fair weekend June 15-16. I’ve attended the Energy Fair since 1995 so have stayed at many Stevens Point hotels but this was my first stay here. It is a newer hotel not more than 2 years old in an area going thru a lot of development: new hotels, restaurants, strip malls, etc. Going thru the hotel web site I got a rate for a king bed room, 1 person at $78/night. I consider myself a consumer who is careful when using the internet and reads everything in detail. However somehow I missed the fact that not all the rooms come with a fridge and microwave. I believe the web site is very misleading and will raise this with the hotel. So when I checked in I was very disappointed no fridge or microwave; I could have gotten a cheaper hotel room ($60/night) w/o those amenities. But moving past that big disappointment, the rest of the stay was very pleasant.

My room was very big IMHO (in my humble opinion) for any hotel star level with plenty of room for at least 3 adults, maybe 4; though 4 adults in the bed would be cozy! Speaking of the bed, it was comfortable and the pillows/linens were acceptable. The bathroom was also a good size with plenty of counter space, a good size tub and a coffee maker I did not use. The toilet was a power flush so it was noisier than the old gravity models but I did not find it too loud. I reserved a smoking room, again by accident, so there were cigarette burns on the carpet by the bed. But otherwise the room & bathroom were clean. I was on the top/3rd floor facing the back of the building and a wooded lot which was an extra bonus because I could open the windows. Yes, they have real windows with screens which you can open nice and wide; not like a lot of places with un-openable windows or ones you can only open about 1-2” without screens. I slept with the windows open and it was wonderful! I did not use the heating/cooling unit but when I arrived, it was working properly because my room was quite cold (too cold for my tastes).

The continental breakfast was adequate: instant oatmeal, cold cereals, yogurt, bananas, hard boiled eggs, hot cinnamon rolls, muffins, juices, milk and coffee. They also had some sort of canned fruit cocktail in a bowl which I passed on. Everything was edible and at the appropriate temperature but nothing to rave about; I especially appreciated the hard boiled eggs (morning protein). There was plenty of room to move around and sit.

I used the public whirlpool the first night and it was not hot enough IMHO. I’m use to hot tubs where within 5 mins you are sweating and drinking cold water; in this one I did not even break a sweat. I did not use the actual pool but it was the smallest I can remember ever at a hotel. In fact the entire pool area was very small but luckily the night I went down right before it closed at 10pm, there were only 4 other people and they were using the pool. But on a busy day/night, I could see it becoming very noisy and cramped without enough chairs/loungers very quickly. If I had to guess, I’d say there were only enough seats for about 25 people.

The hotel was completely booked for the weekend but it was quiet, plenty of parking spaces and the staff were very pleasant to deal with. Oh, I tried the internet connection in the business center and could not get it to work for me; I was too lazy to contact staff for help (long day). I would stay here again but definitely plan to go w/o the fridge/micro. It has a lot of things going for it including the most convenient hotel for the Energy Fair instead of the ones close to downtown/campus.

PS – They may have fixed the “smelly lobby” since Feb ’07 because I did not smell anything out of the ordinary.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank ttiottn1
JasonBe, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Stevens Point-Wisconsin Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2010

Since this review was originally posted in 2007 we are happy to announce that we have completed a soft good renovation at the Holiday Inn Express Stevens Point. That renovation included the addition of refrigerators and microwaves in every room. Holiday Inn Express has also changed the complimentary breakfast to include many hot items. Some items include bacon, sausage, omelets and biscuits with gravy.

Reviewed October 20, 2006

This hotel is a little hard to find but worth looking for. We travel with our dog and chose to stay there because they allow pets. It looks like it must be a new hotel, everything was fresh and still very clean. The breakfast was very good. The staff was friendly. There was a computer on-line in the business center and a real nice pool. We stayed an extra day and rested. Very nice.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank lilysnaps