“A taste of the Olde World in the Heartland”

Bernard's Country Inn Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I have been dining at Bernard's for almost twenty years. His base menu is very stable meaning that there are always staples and his specialties that you can fall back on or expect--as is the European Tradition. BUT he also changes things up and often. There are always new specials rotated in and new appetizers or deserts to try. In this way Bernard's is always fresh too.

Bernard is a European Trained Master Chef and one of the last ones in the state of Wisconsin. If you like the idea of a Chef that grows many of his herbs at his home or in a plot outside the restaurant. If you really like to know where your steak or fish come from, OR the notion of your Chef going to the local farmer's markets as early as possible to get the freshest and best selection for his customers OR if you like to know that the Chef has his hand in every single dish that leaves his kitchen, then Bernard's is the place for you. He still hand cuts his steaks--He does and not one of his employees. Every soup is hand made by Bernard, every pastry, every torte, every truffle--hand made by Bernard.

There is, quite simply, no place like this left in the state of Wisconsin. When you go to Bernard's you are going into his home and he will teach you what it means to be a guest.

This is one of the few places left where you can go for a bar burger and a pizza or have a full on seven course meal with a fantastic bottle of wine or one of your favorite martinis or imported beers.

This is a great place to go to DINE---something, I think, we miss in this day and age.

Go to Bernard's---Make an excuse to go to Stevens Point and plan an evening out at an old fashioned Country Inn.

3  Thank Mark J

Reviewed May 8, 2014

i have been to Bernard's many times through the years and they never cease to delight me. the food there is delicious, the people friendly, and the building itself enchanting. its the sort of place you can go with your family, friends, and loved ones. i would suggest this to anyone traveling through the Stevens Point area

3  Thank Bryn G
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I went to this restaurant twice about one year apart. The menu seems to be set in stone with only the appetizers changing recently. It is expensive, and maybe more so than it should be. The breadsticks and dips at the beginning of the meal are excellent as is the garlic dressing made by Bernard himself. I do enjoy that many of the items on the menu are made from scratch. The first meal I had there was significantly better than the second, so I put this rating in between at "Very Good". Both times I ordered duck, the first year I ordered German style duck, and the second I ordered the Duck a l'orange. The meal from the first year I could not find fault in, and I enjoyed every bit of it. The restaurant is very outdated both on the outside and the inside, and his customer basis reflects that. The restaurant is also located in an unfortunate part of town; it's on the outskirts, and far from other restaurants. The meal I had the last time I was quite disappointed yet. I had been waiting a year to get a similar experience to the first one, maybe I had elevated the experience in my mind. There was a shriveled tomato in my salad; it was not sun-dried. I found the duck on the second trip to be dry, and the wild-rice risotto it is advertised with was merely a wild rice. I was very disappointed with that. If I had known it was not a risotto I may have ordered something differently, as I am fond of risotto. The dish the other person at my table ordered tasted fantastic; however, and the items we ordered off of the half-price appetizer menu were quite good. Bernard was a very nice man and came around greeting his customers who all seemed to be patrons of the restaurant. If there was a restaurant out of any I've been to that I'd pick for Chef Ramsay to renovate, this would be it.

1  Thank Lauren J
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My husband and I have enjoyed many fine meals at this restaurant so when he wanted to get together with friends for his 60th birthday we knew where we wanted to go. We had 15 people out for dinner. Irene gave us our own private room to celebrate. The food was great but the best part was Bernard's homemade black forest cake. He wheeled it out on a cart with a candle and cut and served the cake for us! What a pleasant surprise as we did not ask for such service! Thank you again for making this a memorable evening for everyone!!!

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We invited our parents to join us for Easter Brunch, it was our first visit to Bernard's so were not clear what to expect. We arrived when they opened at 11 a.m. and were delighted with the large variety of entrees and dessert options; everything was beautifully prepared and absolutely delicious. We all agreed it was one of the best buffets we have had and we are intending to return for their Mother's day Brunch. The owners & staff were all gracious & attentive to our needs, making for a wonderful first visit!

1  Thank SW4010