“True German Food”

Bernard's Country Inn Restaurant
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We have eaten at Bernard's several times over the years and am always very impressed with not only the quality of the food but also the overall professionalism of the staff. Bernard is an incredible chef. It is also very nice to have a musician playing piano in the background while you are dining on weekends. Bernard usually tries to come to the table to visit and make sure you have enjoyed yourself.

1  Thank Ichabod322

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We dined at Bernards last week. It was my first time there. There was a group of three of us. We started out at the bar to find they had put out the first keg of Hacker Pchorr October Fest that day. What a nice treat. The bar is large and unfotunately not crowded. After a few October fests we were directed to our table.

On Friday and Saturday nights they have a piano player and it contributes to the old school feel here. On to the food. We had appetizers of smoked salmon and home made stuffed mushrooms. Both apps were up to a high standard. The salmon was very fresh and tasty.

For entres we had 1- Veal cordon blue and 2-ZIGEUNER SCHNITZEL . The meal starts with a fresh side salad and your choice of 3 home made dressings. Very nice. The soup was chowder or a vegetable beef. Again, hand made here no canned crap. The enres arrived and we were all in heaven. Made on site by a real Geramn chef. This is hard to beat. Our plates were clean as if the dishwasher had gotten to them.

We didnt think we could handle dessert but when they bring the dessert cart out they cant be resisted. We a had a bavarian chocolate cake with cherry sauce and brandy ball dipped in chocolate. Very nice. Even the coffee was a tick ahead of others. The bill was very reasonable at about $35 per person which included dessert and apps.

It was troubling to see virtually no one else in here on a Saturday night. I dont think this once proud and busy restaurant can take much more recession or public apatyh. Sdaly this was my first time there and I have had opportunity to try before as I only live about 25 miles north in Wausau. It was ironic that as we drove into Stevens Point we passed an Applebee's that was standing room only. That is kind of sad.

2  Thank Ted D
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I have never had a bad meal. I love the pate and breadsticks they serve as appetizers. They make a wonderful fresh fruit infused berry martini. They offer unique flavorful creations both from the bar and kitchen. I enjoy the live piano music. Always good service.

Reviewed July 20, 2012

A very unique menu with unusual specials. A little pricey but very good.
Interior a little dated.

1  Thank kathyandjack1
Reviewed June 9, 2012

I have been dining at Bernards for several decades. I have never had a bad meal. The beef stroganoff is like nothing else you will taste anywhere else. And the duck is phenomenal! I have had escargot in a lot of places, but I always end up comparing it to Bernards, and the others always fall short. It is simply the best. The waitstaff is always very friendly and knowledgeable. You can't go wrong dining here.