“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The House on the Rock Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Spring Green
The House on the Rock Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Spring Green
Omaha
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

Great place to stay. Rooms very clean and quiet. Loved the balcony overlooking the Golf course.Ver relaxing. Loved the pool although water was cool. The only bad thing was the Restaraunt was very pricey. Wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank harlenb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Chicago area
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2009

Very nice resort. On the upscale side, especially for this rural area. Good value for the money. The rooms were great. I liked the Frank Lloyd Wright design of the room and furnishings. Hotel was very well maintained and clean. The restaurant was quiet, great view of golf course, good food and good service. It was not at all crowded the nights (2) we were there. It was really quite pleasant. Restaurant and bar, lobby etc and resort itself were all done in Frank Lloyd Wright type design. Taliesen (enjoyed our tour) was less than a mile away and the resort is just a few miles from town. House on the Rock (interesting and entertaining in a strange sort of way) was about seven miles away. The reviews I read online before booking were mixed--but my wife and I were pleasantly surprised with how nice it was. We wished we could have stayed longer. We would like to go back sometime with friends.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Waukesha, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2009

I recently stayed at The House on the Rock Resort for an overnight meeting of our firm. Although clean, the rooms are dated. Our meeting room for 10 was small for 8, and the food service was marginal. The most disappointing part was the restaurant. To get a meal off site, you have to get in your car and travel for 10 minutes to Spring Green. It is worth the trip, because the restaurant's food and service is atrocious. The vegetables were over-cooked, my medium-rare steak was well done, and all of the salmon orders were bone dry from overcooking. We had to ask three times for our wine order. Those are only the highlights of the low lights. Don't bother.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2008

My husband and I spent two nights at the House on the Rock Resort and were very pleasantly surprised. We had booked a package through the American Players Theater (just down the road) and I had read the previous reviews with some trepidation. Instead of peeling wallpaper, however, our room/suite looked freshly painted and very clean. King-sized bed was comfortable and we had a nice view from the balcony over the golf course (all rooms do), and if golf is not your thing there are an indoor and outdoor pool and jacuzzis, as well as hiking trails in the woods skirting the property. It's off the road and completely quiet at night. Staff was very pleasant and helpful. All rooms are two-room suites plus bath and include a fridge and microwave (though no utensils), It's very close to the American Players Theater and the Frank Lloyd Wright information Center for Taliesen, making it ideal for visits to these attractions. We would definitely go back.

• Liked — Peace and quiet, beautiful surroundings, proximity to American Players Theater
  • Disliked — NA
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2008

We stayed here with some trepidation after reading the reviews. It is a beautiful property, on a wonderful (looking) golf course. Our queen suite had a bed in the living room, which looked weird. The rooms were very clean, but the carpet was tired, the furnishings were from the 80's and the screen door to our ground floor patio fell off when opened. The room reeked of a not-totally unpleasant air freshener, which you kind of got used to. The bed resembled a marble slab, and the pillows were minimally helpful. Maid knocked at 8:15 and did not return until well after 5pm. I guess they are used to early golfers (we're not). Truly tiny TVs are provided, and there is no internet service. We avoided the restaurant after the universal panning here, but lots of places are available nearby. The advantage this hotel has (and it is a big one) is its terrific location near all sorts of great places. The abandoned condo plan is sadly evident in the rusting mailboxes on the road. Not worth the cost now, but could be great with a little investment.

• Liked — location and setting
  • Disliked — cost
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Plant City, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2008

Every year for the past four years, I have taken a group of architects and builders for a two night stay at THOR to experiance, Frank Lloyd Wright's,Taliesin. After discovering Trip Advisor, I was concerned I may be dissapointed. I was not. The resort was in order, the common areas were clean and the staff well posted. My suite was very clean and well appointed. I do think they need to add wireless internet access, free, but at the very least have it. Wi-fi is a must have for business travelers. We dine one night at the Grandview and I find it nothing eceptional. My guests had chicken, beef and fish dishes, which they enjoyed but the tempura shrimp I had was like a bad frozen Long John Silvers version. At the price point my expectations were much higher. The appetizers were weak as well. Breakfast in the Grandview was good and the assortment of dishes adequate. If You will only dine once in the area, skip the Grandview and take the short drive to nearby, Mazomanie and try The Old Feed Mill. You will not be dissapointed(Read my review) The house on the Rock is, over all a nice venue for my annual trip and I will return. Hopfilly to better shrimp and Wi-Fi

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — No Wi-Fi
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Milwaukee, WI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2007

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times, and the first two times I was always impressed by the property. On the third trip, the property is really starting to show its age, and the management does not seem to care. The peeling wallpaper appears to be a problem throughout the hotel. The first floor room I was in had water stains on it, peculiar for a room that is not on the top floor. While the layout is unique and allows for some prairie style decor, the furniture and soft goods need an upgrade. The TVs appear to be original from when the property was built in the 1980s, and it shows. The sets are tiny and the picture quality poor. They certainly don't need to scrap everything, but they need to make some repairs and upgrades if they wish to command $200 a night. If they wish to lower their rates to $100 or even $150, they would have to do very little to the property, but if they want to get top dollar for their rooms, they need to do work to the property. It showed, because the property was dead on a summer weekend when I was there. Despite the shortcomings, if you get an unlimited golf package it is still worth it, because it is one of the absolutely best kept, scenic golf coures I have ever played. The hotel does not come close to the level the golf course is at, and that is a shame.

• Stayed July 2007
#2 of 3 in Mineral Point
Ramada Richland Center
Ramada Richland Center
#1 of 3 in Richland Center

Been to The House on the Rock Resort? Share your experiences!