“Nice resort and property”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Spring Green
The House on the Rock Resort
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Spring Green
Chicago, IL
“Nice resort and property”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

My wife and I stayed there for 2 nights, and went to Taliesin and also the House on the Rock attraction. Overall the resort was very nice. The room was spacious and clean, the staff was very friendly. We did not eat in the dining room, but ate a light dinner in the clubhouse, and it was.....not good. I guess it was golf clubhouse food. We had better luck in town. We went for breakfast both days to the General Store in Spring Green, and it was fantastic. Went to the Round Barn restaurant one night, very average. The hotel was a good value when combined with ttheir ticket package to House on the Rock.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MichaelGChicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2011

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon and came back for our anniversary. We love this resort. The setting is so beautiful and it's so peaceful. The suites are gorgeous. Unlike the previous reviewer, our suite did have a couch. The living room can be shut off from the bedroom so if someone wants to get up and have coffee, they won't disturb the other person.

The resort was completely full all weekend and we only heard another person twice - once on the balcony and once heard someone in the hall which indicates the construction is pretty solid if you don't hear other people. You almost felt like you were there alone. All rooms are on the golf course side overlooking rolling hills.

The steaks in the restaurant are outstanding - incredibly tender. The pools are fabulous. The staff is very helpful.

The resort is showing a little bit of it's age. The towels were a little frayed, the TV's are a little older, but I didn't come to the resort to watch TV. Those are the only reasons I didn't give it 5 stars.

Room Tip: All rooms are on the golf course overlooking rolling hills.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SueMN
Madison, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

My friends were getting married at the Wintergreen and all the wedding party were getting rooms at the House On The Rock Resort. Since I was in the wedding party I booked a room there for me and my girlfriend. After my two night stay there I can safely say this was the worst place I've ever stayed at. Considering that I paid almost $400 for a two night stay there I was expecting a lot from the place. It failed me in every way possible. My room was a suite and it definitely did not feel like a sweet. Hated the fact that the living room had a bed in it and no couches. I've stayed at other suites and there is a separate living area that had couches and chairs, not a bed. The beds were horrible to sleep on and the pillows were just as horrible. We had two TVs in our room and both of them were from like 1979 and only half the channels we were supposed to get came through. The dressers in the rooms were falling apart. There were only six things that I liked about the House On The Rock Resort: 1) the peace and quiet and the view 2) the full-size refrigerator 3) the rainmaker shower head 4) the pool 5) the bar 6) the super friendly and helpful front counter staff. As you will notice, half of the things I liked were not even part of the room itself. That should tell you a lot. I cannot recommend this place to anyone and I will definitely never spend another night there.

Room Tip: Go to the House On the Rock Inn instead and get better rooms for less money.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Chris L
HUDSON
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

The House on the Rock Resort (not to be confused with the House on the Rock Inn) is in the middle of a valley away far enough from anything that could possibly bother you. There are deer, birds, and great golf and quiet. It is a short drive or relatively short walk from American Players Theater (which does mostly Shakespeare and mostly outdoors...they do have an indoor theater now, but I've never been in it). There are package deals to include the theater, but it is a separate business. The Inn is Prairie style with very attractive Frank-Lloyd-Writish chandeliers etc. and has a huge pool and huge jacuzzi which sits by another pool...one is for lap swimming I think. I love this place but worry about it a little since it never seems to be too busy...great for you, but not so great for them. I saw exactly 2 people in the jacuzzi on my last visit and nobody in the pool.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank huffmb
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

The rooms are gorgeous suites. Ours walked out onto the golf course and overlooked the rolling hills. The pools are nice. We enjoyed the hot tub immensely. We enjoyed our stay and will be back!

Room Tip: 520 is the best room in the house. :)
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank midwestsiren
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

Came for plays at American Theater plays and was pleasantly suprised with this gem of a resort. Clean and appropriately furnished for the locale and surrounding attractions (Frank Loyd Wright) stuff.

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank washermfg
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

My wife and I recently stayed at the House on the Rock Resort to visit the area and see performances at the American Players Theatre. It was our first stay here. We thought it was wonderful. The setting is gorgeous! The view from our room over the golf course and into the surrounding hills was wonderful. The resort could be called “dated”, but in a good way. The buildings definitely fit into the environment reflecting the Prairie style architecture synonymous with Frank Lloyd Wright whose Taliesin is nearby. The rooms were clean, well appointed and spacious (at least the suite we had). Parking was near the rooms. The indoor pool and workout rooms looked nice, although we did not use them. The in-hotel restaurants (two) were adequate, but not special.

I thought the cost of the room was reasonable. We got the room as part of an APT theatre package.

My biggest complaint with the resort was that they were obviously understaffed. The staff was friendly and attentive; there were just not enough of them. For example, in the bar/restaurant one woman was expected to tend a bar with 6-7 patrons, wait on 3-4 tables AND cook. They need to hire more people.

Overall the stay was very nice and we plan on staying hear again when we visit the area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Mount Horeb
Quality Inn Mineral Point
Quality Inn Mineral Point
#2 of 3 in Mineral Point

Been to The House on the Rock Resort? Share your experiences!