“Really disappointing.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Grafton, Wisconsin
“Really disappointing.”
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We have stayed in Spring Green on many occasions, but this was the first time we stayed at the Usonian Inn. We agree with the other reviewers that it is not nearly as nice as it is depicted on the web site. Things are quite drab and minimalist (not in the Frank Lloyd Wright kind of way), but it was relatively clean. Just nothing special.

Our biggest issue was with the proprietor. We arrived later than we expected, which was 8:00-ish. It was 10 minutes after the office had closed. We were unaware that the office closed at 10:00, but take full responsibility for arriving late. The office was dark, so we rang the doorbell… and were shortly greeted very angrily, first for not closing the door and then for arriving late. We were told that she “has a life, too, you know” and “it is very rude of us”, etc. etc. She said that she tried calling us 7 times – which is possible because my wife’s phone had died. OK, I get that you might be irritated by events like this, but we’re still customers, right?

After several minutes – literally – of lessons on how to be better, more considerate people, we went to the room. I assured my wife that she must have been short fused because of something else that happened. Maybe she was fighting with someone else? Or just a bad day?

When we got up in the morning, I told my wife (who was still quite upset) that I would check us out and drop off the key. When I went inside – and immediately apologized again for arriving late and not answering the phone – she started to give me more angry "pointers" on the social graces that felt like poor parenting. Shoot, I thought. I must have been wrong...

This is the first negative review I’ve left on TripAdvisor… but I felt it necessary to do. Needless to say, we will not stay at the Usonian again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank WisconsinHD
ccdursina, Owner at The Usonian Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
The female on the party called earlier in the day and said they will arrive later then 6, possible between 7-8PM and that was OK, getting closer to the end of shift 10PM, I was calling a few time to find out if they were delayed or will arrive later or arrive at all! After 6-7 attempts, I closed the office at 10PM - our normal hours;
*** it's about 10:30, I'm ready to take a shower - the door bell rings... are you kidding me?! I had to take a minute to be proper in front of my GUESTS! :)

*** and here they are... at the door, ( I forgot to mention - I am in my PYJAMAS) and yes I expect people to close a door after they enter a room, wow!... it's that uncommon? PLEASE read our blog posts http://usonianinn.blogspot.com/2012/05/what-does-it-mean-this-is-family-owned.html
We are not a chain hotel to have 24/7 front desk service!

Their excuse: we worked in town here at that event, at Bob's Fest, *** A PLACE NOT EVEN 1 MILE AWAY!
That's great - but I bet you any local store will have a phone to lend someone to dial a local number to make arrangements or discus any situation - they said her cell phone died, which I still understand, but you are just 1/2 mile away!...

Several times we arranged for people to arrive after hours and no one got frustrated on the matter.

I don't think I should be sorry for HAVING SOME EXPECTATIONS AND for people to show SOME RESPECT;
people need to understand we do have a schedule and YES we do also HAVE A LIFE, which if it is AFTER HOURS SHOULD BE NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS - when we need to wash, sleep, eat, ETC...

Then, in the morning when the writer , came to the office all I said was , there are other ways to do things and now, it's all behind us... - unlike he claims that I started another sermon on human behavior lessons, that is simply untrue!

As a matter of fact, this review should be REMOVED, and if not don't you worry about it - we have been nominated by the ABOVE - TRIP ADVISOR as WINNERS - CERTIFICATE OF EXCELLENCE for 2012, (see award on our page - http://usonianinn.blogspot.com/2012/05/press-release-weve-earned-2012.html)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
granville, OH
Reviewed May 28, 2012

the motel (it is more of a motel than an inn) was conveniently located to taliesin and spring green. however, it is located directly on a state highway. in addition, it was not an nice in decor or upkeep as we expected from the usonian inn's website. it is a bit run down. the proprietor was very pleasant.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank greyhoundpal
Saint Louis
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Courteous staff/owner; unique design;convienent to all that Spring Green has to offer.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank James M
Piedmont, OK
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Usonian Inn. Carolina, the Inn Keeper, provided us with great service. The room was charming. We will definitely recommend the Usonion.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lenny M
RatherNotSay
Reviewed October 28, 2011

What is most frustrating is that the Usonian website leads a person to believe they will be staying at a charming inn done in a style fitting to the FL Wright-inspired area of Spring Green. What you arrive at is a highway motel that was once probably quite unique, but now has grungy walls, outdated room furnishings and is a cheap, misleading attempt to get people in the door based on what it once was. I was upset enough that I considered leaving. What is most sad is that it could be something- but "renos gone wrong" and lack of quality maintenance have really destroyed this property.

Room Tip: I stayed in Rm 11 "Pleasant View" which only looked out on corn fields and was presumably...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank D J
FDL, WI
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We were attending Sat & Sun night plays at APT and wanted to stay in Spring Green. Our first and second choices were not available, the pictures and reviews for the Usonian all looked quite good. We had the "garden view" room. The garden was a distant tree with hostas around it and a circular area full of weeds. The room was clean and we did not have a problem with the appliances, but all in all this was an old roadside motel without any frills. I truely expected a little more after reading the reviews and viewing the available pictures.

This motel is very overpriced for what it is. I would not have been upset if the charge had been lower, more what I would expect for a regular small motel. Also, the office closed early on Saturday night, probably because there were no vacancies, but what about the "specialty wines"? Nothing special about it except for the price.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mary Lausch A
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We wanted to participate in the 100th anniversary of Frank Lloyd Wrights work which is being held in Wisconson and so we went through all the TA reviews on places to stay near Spring Green Wisconson. Our first choice was not available so we took our second choice the Usonian. It is, as reported, an old roadside motel. It has had 3 or 4 owners since the original owner and the last two have made significant improvements. The current owners have done all that could be done to a 10 room property and probably have spent more than they will ever recover.
Yes the room had a musty smell when we checked in but after opening all the windows it seemed to clear up. All of the appliances worked and the many reminders were all helpful. I was amazed that WIFI was there and worked. Beds were comfortable and even though we were 50 to 100 feet from the road it was very quiet. As to dining the general store was great for breakfast (also WIFI available) and Arthurs restaurant was a real winner. Excellent food and fast friendly service. If it werent 2000 miles from my home I would become a regular.

Room Tip: Room 10 has two full sized beds and is a end unit with several window openings.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Richland Center
Deer Valley Lodge & Golf
Deer Valley Lodge & Golf
#1 of 1 in Barneveld

Been to The Usonian Inn? Share your experiences!