“Needs a lot of work.”
Review of Spring Valley Inn

Spring Valley Inn
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Spring Green
Reviewed August 17, 2008

We've been going here for ten years now, and each summer this place gets more run down.
We were happy with it at first for the pool is large and the location great for going to places like the American Players Theatre, Frank Lloyd Wright sights, Cave of the Mounds, and bike trails.
But it is now a motel that is sinking fast. It is dark and dreary. The bedspreads are not clean -- and are at least ten years old. There are few outlets in each room -- and most of the ones they have are outdated and loose. Trying to charge my cell phone is as much of a challenge as trying to keep my curling iron plug in the socket ( propping it up on a book works well ). The housekeeping staff never replenished our plastic cups, soaps, or coffee cups during the one week stay this year.
The "breakfast" is a joke. It is usually delivered late and consists of cold bread. No juice. No milk. No fruit. Nothing else.

We used to have a Friday fish fry in their small restaurant but now the grease odor is too much for us. Besides, the price went up to $15 a plate this year. Their lobby used to have a gift shop, but this year it looks like a depleted dollar store with empty shelves.

The sad part is that this motel is located in a pretty area and yet the staff does little yard work or landscaping. The bushes outside the windows have overgrown like monsters -- we couldn't even see out our ground floor room. They don't even move their warped picnic table when they cut the lawn. And the vegetation is so big and untrimmed that at night you can't see the entrance to the driveway from the road. It is like they don't care.

What this place needs is a professional makeover. I hope a company like Quality Inn or LaQuinta finds this gem and gets it in shape! It has such potential!

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank Bay5

Reviewed August 13, 2008

I'd originally tried to stay at the Spring Green motel based on their website, but they were booked. They recommended the Spring Valley Inn to us and I think we might have gotten a much quieter room because of it! (Spring Green Motel is right on the highway).
My husband and I spent 2 nights there. We had 9:30 reservations at Taliesin and wanted to be close by the night before. Unfortunately Google Maps suggested a very direct--but back road--route and we were lost when a road closing detour happened about 20 miles from here. I called the desk and they were very helpful in getting us there in the dark.
The room was simple but furnished in the Prairie style of Frank Lloyd Wright. As Taliesin was our first destination, that got us in the mood! The bed was very comfortable and the air worked fine. The continental breakfast is a nice little addition. The homemade bread and muffins went quickly and on the 2nd morning there was nothing left of the bread or bagels by 8:45am. The office refilled the basket but commented that plenty had been put out and that some guests probably took a lot to save for lunch. I thought that was a little tacky of the other guests...There is a coffee pot in each room if you want.
Hotel is very close to all the attractions in Spring Green and well situated for meandering down Route 14 to other towns and attractions. The pool and whirlpool were very clean and uncrowded. Rooms were clean and quiet. A good value for $80!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2007

Price goes up while the motel slowly declines. Bed spread is dirty. Plate on electrical outlet is loose. This place is starting to look tired and in need of professional management. If it weren't for the free wireless, I would go elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2006

The hospitality was great. Atmosphere was quiet and peaceful. Rooms were always kept tidy and clean exery day. Pool was luxurious with no children. Most times only a couple of other people swimming besides us. Our room was on the ground floor, same as the other rooms. There was a small restuarant but food was prepackaged. A small bar and fireplace with a nice homey atmosphere. Located outside of the town area but nicely situated not far from House on th Rock and Talisman estate. Visitor center is just off HY 23. We had a very pleasant stay at the Inn and would definitely recommend this establishment if you are visitung the area.

2  Thank jjedidiah
Reviewed May 14, 2005

I stayed here with my sister in April 2005. The room was very clean, the bed was very comfortable and the pillows were the perfect size for me.

There is an indoor pool and hot tub, but didn't get a chance to use them. There are also exercise and game rooms. A continental breakfast was included and the muffins seemed homemade.

The property offers a restaurant on site with a cozy fireplace and the views are of attractive forested areas, as opposed to a busy highway, for example. There is also a very well equipped gift shop that even had a refrierator full of gourmet take food.

5  Thank mary_228
Reviewed October 23, 2004

We stayed one night at the Spring Valley Inn in October. There is a very nice swimming pool, along with a whirlpool, steam room and sauna that we also enjoyed. It's enough off the highway that the room was very quiet. Good pillows, mattresses satisfactory. Nice towels. Everything was clean.
We weren't impressed by the restaraunt menu and decided to have dinner somplace else - ended up at the Pasta Barn, where the food was only so-so and the service was friendly, but slow and inconsistent.
I don't know that we'll ever stay in Spring Green again, but I'd recommend the Spring Valley Inn to anyone going there/

9  Thank maggie303
Reviewed July 21, 2003

Well, well the Spring Valley Inn...I chose this one between two options because it sounded and looked so nice in their pictures. Don't be fooled by the restaurant Pat's Place!! When you walk into the check in area, on the right, there is this little rusty looking kitchen. And I thought: "wow, they should really have a better employee rest area." Well this nasty kitchen is where they make the food for Pat's Place.
Not to mention, the person that checked us in at the front desk was going to be the person MAKING THE FOOD. Oh my.......When we received our key for the hotel room, we walked down this dark, musty smelling hallway that smelled like basement flooding. I was just hoping and praying that our room would not be so bad. It wasn't. It was pretty spacious and all, bathroom a little tight, but all in all, it was OK.
We just wanted to check in there for one night to go to the House on the Rock. Everything, other than what I have mentioned, was OK. The pool is pretty large, so is the hot tub. When we came back to the room, around 10:00 P.M., we started getting ready for bed. About an hour in, I felt something crawling on my arm. OH! It was some type of big, black bug! I am not a bug fan, as I am sure most of us are not. I called the front desk, and ofcourse no one was there. I called the emergency number for the lodge and I think it was someone's home because she sounded like I woke her up. I told her that I found a bug in my bed and told her I was going to leave. She said OK, and we left. The next day when I called, she told me that she only found ONE bug in the room, as if one bug is OK! Oh my.

19  Thank Bianca345
#1 of 3 in Richland Center
Deer Valley Lodge & Golf
Deer Valley Lodge & Golf
#1 of 1 in Barneveld

Been to Spring Valley Inn? Share your experiences!