“Different But Disturbing”
Review of House on the Rock

House on the Rock
More attraction details
Owner description: You have to walk on a ramp through the treetops to reach the entrance of this remarkable house, built in the 1940s.
kansas city
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Different But Disturbing”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Had known about the House On The Rock for many years but had not visited it. Went today with my wife and three grandchildren. Price for two seniors, two teens, and a five year old was $99. We are staying with family about 15 minutes from the attraction. The house is more like a small town, inasmuch as there are acres of buildings. The tour begins with a history of the place and a tour of the first and second houses with attached gardens. This is a pretty interesting place in terms of concept and execution. If the owner had stopped with the two houses and the mill; I would highly recommend it as a place to visit. However, the owner got carried away to the point of acquiring every object of interest he could find. Had he stopped there, I might still highly recommend a visit. The tour is divided into three parts. Part one is the houses and gardens. Part two is the mill and a large collection of antiques and reproductions. I truly enjoyed the Goliath calliope and the room full of a gigantic whale. If you do decide to visit, I would highly recommend that you skip part three, especially the carousel room. If there is a hell, this room would be a good substitute. In fact, all of part three is quite disturbing. Although there are some antiques on display, much of what is in part three is only a few decades old. There is one large area featuring display cases full of reproduction swords, crowns, and suits of armor. But back to the new carousel. It has 20,000 light bulbs, many chandeliers, store mannequins outfitted with giant wings, and ceaseless noise from drums and recordings. It is enough to make Liberace look like the apex of good taste. My grandchildren and I could not escape part three fast enough. Proceed at your own peril.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank chowhoundkc

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Too much to see at one time”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I hadn't been here in years, but thought I'd do some local travel. I remember it being large, but this was ridiculous. It took me over 4 hours to walk through 3 buildings to see everything. Not that it wasn't great, but way too much to see in one visit.

1 Thank J S
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Be prepared to walk”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Lots of walking and standing but worth it. I took my 12 year old grand daughter and her friend. They were enthralled by all the "stuff". You can pay for just some sections and we did just section 3. It was more than enough for my group. It's not for everyone but I knew my 12 yr old girls would love seeing the carousel and doll houses.

1 Thank kattt48
Petersburg, IL
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“House on the Rock a Maze of Interest!”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I had heard of House on the Rock and also heard that you either love or hate it. We thoroughly enjoyed it. It is one man's amazing collection of ......everything! Allow 3-4 hours, as it is a huge space with a lot of walking. Take time to visit Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin (his personal home), just about 20 min. away.

Visited February 2014
2 Thank Diane M
Peoria, IL
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Cool place.”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My mom and dad used to take my siblings and I here for vacations. It's a pretty neat place. My husband and I went here in July. There are 3 different sections of the self guided tour. You can just purchase one, two, or all three. I would suggest getting all three.You tour the house first, then you go through a museum with tons of collectibles. It takes about 3 hours or so to get through the whole place. Maybe longer if you have kids.

1 Thank cleocat63