“Bad food”

Spooner Family Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 33 Restaurants in Spooner
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Description: New Family Restaurant in Spooner, WI. Opened on September 29th 2014. We serve breakfast all day long. Good service, Great Prices, and the Best food in town. You won't be disappointed. From our family, to yours!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Bad food”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

When you can't cook eggs correctly, or pancakes, you've got problems. I noticed they just recently closed down. Too bad, since they did a nice job on remodeling.

• Visited February 2014

Milltown
“I will recommend this cozy famiy restuarant with excellent food and service to ALL my friends!!”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

2/8/14 -- 2 adults & 2 children

The soup and homemade bread that comes with the meal was not only superb, it felt like we were at a high end Restuarant with budget prices.

The hamburgers were huge & done to perfection & the taco salad had an abundance of vegi's as well as plenty of salsa--which you have to pay extra for at most restaurants. The meals are plentiful (excellent value) and you will NOT leave hungry!

Our server was very attentive, prompt and very friendly! I can't remember the last time we had such an enjoyable dining experience!!

We will definitely visit again when we're traveling through town.

• Visited February 2014
5 Thank Picturenut20
Spooner, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst Food We Ever Ate”
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We had been busy all day and did not get to the restaurant until about 8 PM. By then, we were all ready to eat our shoes! Three of us ordered one of the specials, pork medallions and the other the ribs and chicken plate. His meal got there and if we were not starving, would have run out of there screaming. When he stuck his fork in the fried chicken, blood oozed out. I'm not talking pinkish fluid of being under cooked; I'm talking red as in raw, maybe not completely thawed. We got the waitress's attention and she took the chicken back to be cooked. His ribs were swimming in an awful, sweet sauce that had been administered, no doubt, to disguise the condition of the ribs. They appeared to be all fat and gristle, tough and extremely suspicious looking. I have eaten ribs all my life and have never seen ribs like he was served. The bones were unusually long and continued beyond where the meat ended, about 4 or 5 inches. They looked like the desert-bleached bones one sees in old cowboy movies. He tried to take a bite and just put it back on the plate. They were inedible. The chicken was never seen by us or mentioned by the waitress again. The green beans he was served were half bright green and half dull green; as if they ran out of frozen beans and mixed in canned beans or vice versa.
Our "pork medallions" turned out to be a 1/3 inch thick, breaded, greasy, pieced of something which could have been pork, beef, chicken, or cardboard, that one would expect to find being served to criminals in solitary or terrorists in Guantanamo. This was served on 3 thick slices of stiff bread and drowned, once again, in gravy. Mashed potatoes was the side, as if the load of carbohydrates in the bread, breading, and gravy did not already satisfy the minimum weekly requirement for an adult logger. The sad part was that we were so hungry we ate what we could. The mashed potatoes were OK: the rest so devoid of any identifiable taste, good or bad, that it just went down the hatch and stayed, fortunately.
The waitress was sweet but lacked experience. Her main concern was that we not blame her for the food, possibly so her tip wouldn't be reduced because the cook was so atrocious and obviously had no pride in his work or concern for his customers. Having been a waitress, I had great empathy on that score but I did not understand how she could carry off the wounded chicken without bringing back a piece that was cooked. We over-tipped out of pity and because she was so young and needy.
The owner or manager, whatever she was, came by the table to see what the flurry was about. When we told her about the "pork medallions" she questioned whether we had asked for that clearly and not the fried pork cutlet. Given that pork medallions were written on the check, it was obvious what we ordered. She didn't seem to be distressed in any way or concerned that much of what was served remained on the plates. Neither did she appear to be upset by the bleeding chicken or dubious ribs. She never apologized or offered to comp us. My friend with the road ribs and
bleeding bird refused to pay for his meal and no one quibbled. We paid for ours and left with the silent promise that we would not be back and haven't. I have heard from other people that the breakfasts are good but I have no desire to try them. There are other restaurants in Spooner that serve good food and seem to care about their patrons.
I would like to close by saying that we are not "snooty" people who fancy themselves to be gourmets. We are down-home folks, polite even in the face of such horrible food and service. We don't make scenes but we do give out reviews. And, we very much believe in supporting our local businesses. Perhaps, if we were treated better we might have been willing to try the place again. As it stands, our business will go elsewhere. One good thing that came from this was the comic material we gained as we look back and remember the looks on our faces when the food was served.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Ramona6179
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nothing Special”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We went for breakfast. The menu offered a lot at reasonable prices. The server was very friendly and attentive. We were never without coffee if we wanted more. The only negative was the food was bland and bacon was not crispy.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Deb M
“Clean and fresh atmosphere”
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

My kids love going to The Spooner Family Restaurant! And so do I. Good portions. Most items are very tasty. Owners are kind and friendly. I love how they treat my kids:) Some servers need more training and personality. Not the owners fault.. It can be hard to find good help these days. Overall this restaurant is a very nice place to sit, eat, and visit:)

• Visited March 2013